Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question? will you send to service center after you buy a pre-owned watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question? will you send to service center after you buy a pre-owned watch?

hi guys,

a noob question here.

just wondering hows the right lifestyle after you buy a pre-owned watches.

lets put it someone bought over a watch, any model and discontinue long ago that kind.

and seller not sure about the servicing history.

so the question is, other than authentication that kind.

you check the watch before you buy, everything seems ok. and let say you pay a 3k plus for it. when you check, everything seems ok, work normally and no flaw. deal done.

after that, will you send it for servicing straight? knowing maybe it will cost you another 700 to 1k (more to overhauling, polishing, replacing some parts)

or you will wearing it first for the next 5 to 6 months and then send it for servicing?

just want to know all the pros thought here

thank you
    "It is not the watch, but purely is you who define the watch..." -pst666-

List: Montres de Luxe P48 Thunderbolt Chrono, ECW Panhard -M8D-
    whist: IWC Aquatimer Galapagos Island

I will wear and monitor the watch for 3 months and if everything is ok i will not send in for servicing....

I m in the camp of the servicing every 8 years if nothing goes wrong type....hahahaha...

I do not like to open my watches too often....

Btw...there is no fast and hard rules regarding this kind of thing....only personal preferences nia...

*Flame Suit on*
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

maybe out of 10 watches I bought, 1 is new? The rest is pre-owned.
      for my first few pre-owned watches, after I purchased them, I had sent them in for 'servicing' only for the watch technicians to return to me and say to come back only when the watch stops moving.
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

wow...din know that watch technicans think the same way as i do...hmmm...interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
          I will wear and monitor the watch for 3 months and if everything is ok i will not send in for servicing....

I m in the camp of the servicing every 8 years if nothing goes wrong type....hahahaha...

I do not like to open my watches too often....

Btw...there is no fast and hard rules regarding this kind of thing....only personal preferences nia...

*Flame Suit on*
          i like the way you think though, i was being paranoid, you spend above5k for a rare watch and without you knowing hows the servicing history.

Originally posted by Ender View Post
          maybe out of 10 watches I bought, 1 is new? The rest is pre-owned.
          for my first few pre-owned watches, after I purchased them, I had sent them in for 'servicing' only for the watch technicians to return to me and say to come back only when the watch stops moving.
          question then, any of your watches will still click on 12 midnight for date? or the date will change slowly in between 11.45 to 12.05 that kind.

i mean, after few years no servicing, will this "problem" common? or un-common?

Comment

hahaha...from winding the watch and monitoring the time keeping for 3 days u can know if the watch need service anot liao....i mean roughly lar....me aint a watch tech...

I buy old watches....recent one is about 29 years old...

Comment

hahaha...from winding the watch and monitoring the time keeping for 3 days u can know if the watch need service anot liao....i mean roughly lar....me aint a watch tech...

I buy old watches....recent one is about 29 years old...

totally cant beat your 29 years old watch

so far still keeping a good time for mine, but just the date wheel, its change slowly, not like those brand new, 12 midnight and change in 1 click.

Comment

Which watch is that?

Comment

Which watch is that?
                  chrono avenger bro

servicing will cost 500 and overhauling is close to 800....if this is not a big issue, wont cause any of the movt breaks, i will just do it by end year...thats why i posted up this thread.

wanted to know all your experienced. im just a small fry need to learn more

Comment

Not all date change is instant...for example...ETA 7750...The date roll over slowly...can start from 11.30pm til 12.15am...perfectly normal...

If it is a rolex i highly recommand a servicing if the date change is not instant as in a click....my 16800 change date over in a click at 12.03am daily...no issue at all...i m not really particular about the time that the date change....as long within 10mins of 12am i m perfectly fine

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                      Wife: "It's not a hobby, you are sick and need help".

Ender lol that is quite funny.
                      I hope I don't get struck by lightning. - Barbarella

Comment

Not all date change is instant...for example...ETA 7750...The date roll over slowly...can start from 11.30pm til 12.15am...perfectly normal...

If it is a rolex i highly recommand a servicing if the date change is not instant as in a click....my 16800 change date over in a click at 12.03am daily...no issue at all...i m not really particular about the time that the date change....as long within 10mins of 12am i m perfectly fine
                        allright!!! you made my day bro!!! i was worrying over this day and night.

Comment

No worries Bro..just sharing what i know...hahaha...This hobby is all about sharing knowledge...i m glad to be of any help to you...

Cheers...

Now wear the watch in good health and dun worried liao!!!!

Comment

No, for me I wouldn't send the watch for servicing unless it stops or becomes significantly inaccurate. Another reason is that I have a habbit of flipping watches, and it is almost impossible to recover the cost of servicing if you flip the watch in a short period.

I once bought a preowned vintage watch at a high price (due to it was "rare") and then sent it for an overhaul, just to sell it away after few months. The loss was huge (near $2k) partly due to the servicing cost.
                            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                              No, for me I wouldn't send the watch for servicing unless it stops or becomes significantly inaccurate. Another reason is that I have a habbit of flipping watches, and it is almost impossible to recover the cost of servicing if you flip the watch in a short period.

I once bought a preowned vintage watch at a high price (due to it was "rare") and then sent it for an overhaul, just to sell it away after few months. The loss was huge (near $2k) partly due to the servicing cost.
                              good thinking....

hemm... the reason i want to do it....later on....because i want to keep the watch....but not sure too, i just want to stop my flipping habit....very bad and 80% lose money for sure....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X