Food that we consume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food that we consume.

saw a thread in makan section commenting about eggs @ one of the most popular coffee shop in the east.

just to share what i know.

these days, most chickens are reared. due to pass instances of bird flu, and what have you not, most chicken farm now have to inject antibiotics into the chicken.

2 purpose:

to keep them free of diseases
    to encourage growth to meet demand.

as such the growth of the chicken is accelerated with their internal body changes. as such, the eggs especially those half boiled eggs that we eat regularly @ coffee shops or stalls either has the egg white too watery or too cooked. why? cook with the same method in the past, it is alright, but with 'chemicals' in the chicken, the quality of eggs produced also changes. so when you tell them it is not cooked enough, they put it in the hot water longer, this result in your eggs being over cooked.

so what happen, consumers complain either not cooked or too cooked. very hard to have the quality of eggs we have in the past due to the way the chicken is farmed.

if you are also observant, check out the hainanese chicken rice stall. notice that some of the chicken have bigger bodies compared to the legs, wings, head. this is also the result of injecting these chickens form young with antibiotics. this type of chicken is what i called steroid chicken.

also if you notice, our grandparents hardly fall ill or have any sickness. but these days, notice that there are more medical illness such as HFM diseases? is it because in the past it was there but medical professionals yet to discover or is it due to the food we consume?

i leave it for as such...food for thought has taken a new meaning.......
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

aiyo........... must go into organic food liao......... but organic food expensive leh...... how?

spend $$$ on Organic food .....no more $$$ to save and buy beautiful watches...
    劳心者治人, 劳力者治于人。 治人者食人, 治与人者食与人。

善恶之报,如影随形。福祸无门,唯人自招!

Comment

So what's the morale of the story? Don't eat half boiled eggs? Don't eat chicken rice? I though once cooked all the gems die?
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

im not sure the consumers who wonder why the hard boiled eggs either just nice, under-cook or over-cook knows that is partly due to the chicken being injected with antibiotics that caused this.

there is no 'morale of the story' issue as im not moses lim.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

That is Tan Ah Teck Fave phase..hehehehe..not moses lim...lol....
          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
            That is Tan Ah Teck Fave phase..hehehehe..not moses lim...lol....
            "Moses Lim is Tan Ah Teck"

Erh...damn bo liau and immature hor...?
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Paiseh!!!!

Have to learn to be 'mature' liao lor....hehehehehe.....1 step at a time...
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

made for interesting reading... here down under; we have many types of chicken. some are so called organic chicken, some hormone free, etc. ive never tasted all the above; so id have no idea what they are like. some people swear by a particular brand/breed/farm. i really couldnt give two hoots about it.
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

bro triton started a very interesting thread...it's true nowadays the things we eat are mostly not healthy. I remember both my grand parents pass away at the age of 80s. (died of old age) They were originally frm China shantou. Sometimes i flip to the last few pages of ST, see the photographs ppl younger and younger...

Comment

Can't compare now and last time (our great grandfather or grandfather time).

Last time no internet, so most of the things are there but not easy to access all these information.
                    Is that now information is easily shared.

Example
                    If Edison "moive" happen in our grandfather genration - How many can see it and know about it ?

Comment

My grandfather's diary may have records of 'Edison' story...let me search. My grandpa also seldom sick but one time sick then very jialat. He pass away also almost 80.

I think Yakun has the best half boiled eggs. Regardless of story, I just had egg for lunch..slurp!
                      Eggs and chicken rice are my favourite. Espcially Kampong Chicken rice from Five Star restaurant at Upper Bukit Timah.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                        My grandfather's diary may have records of 'Edison' story...let me search. My grandpa also seldom sick but one time sick then very jialat. He pass away also almost 80.

I think Yakun has the best half boiled eggs. Regardless of story, I just had egg for lunch..slurp!
                        Eggs and chicken rice are my favourite. Espcially Kampong Chicken rice from Five Star restaurant at Upper Bukit Timah.
                        wah lau speaking yakun! i vote they have the best half boiled eggs in SG...i tried so many, all CMI! but yakun wah unforgettable! i even interviewed the unker,and aunty there how they can prepare the half boiled eggs so "just nice" . They told me no secret BUT it's the temperature of the water.

Comment

speed of information is one thing. also these days; food undergo some sort of testing if im not wrong. in my father's generation; you would be lucky to have ready access to food (war time), so what was in the food wasnt a concern.

speaking of which these days we are pretty lucky; we have a large range of food to choose from, and the way it was bred. not forgetting it is in plentiful supply.

OT here, but just like how my parents arent in lately; so for the first time i have to go kitchen; not to eat; but to cook . even then, im still learning about different type of meats, and how to cook, etc.

let me say; cooking is one hell of a *****. still learning how to estimate portions, oil level and heat control tried making wanton mee; and my chilli sauce always too much liao but when i see my parents making, they just pour seasoning here and there.
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

there is secret. believe me.

Originally posted by louie View Post
                            They told me no secret BUT it's the temperature of the water.

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                              there is secret. believe me.
                              LOL, i asked abt what temp....than in silence.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X