Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove mold from leather straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove mold from leather straps?

Anyone knows how to remove mold effectively? After using a commercial mold cleaner, in less than 2 weeks the mold is back, also there is a really 'moldy' smell on the strap. Help, I have cleaned 3 times already, and it keeps coming back!

Hi jom,

Sorry for keeping you waiting.

There are 3 general procedures, done in succession, to remove molds from leather. Before you begin, please remove the straps from your watch.

1) Cleaning
    Damp leather straps are prone to mold due to our humid climate. Since it is already damp, DO NOT use a damp cloth to clean. Instead use a dry sponge to rub over your strap to remove the mold. Some people recommend using a soft toothbrush.

If there are stubborn spots, mix an equal proportion of water and white vinegar. Dip your finger into this solution and spread it on the spot. Use the dry sponge to rub away immediately.

2) Drying
    After thoroughly cleaning your strap, its time to remove the moisture. Choose a warm location to place your strap; places such as above a TV, below a refrigerator or even on your DVD Player. Expect the drying process to take at least 24 hours.

Next, use old socks and fill it up with sodium bicarbonate. Place your strap between your socks and leave it for a day. This should get rid of the musky smell.

3) Preventive
    Spare leather straps (or any leather products) should be kept in a cool dry location. Avoid direct sun as it may start to crack the “dry” leather.

Wipe your leather straps with leather oil. The cheaper alternative is to use ‘baby oil’ which I always use.

Store your watches in a watch collector’s box with some packets of silica gel inside. An ancient method taught by my grandma is to have piece of cinnamon sticks inside a storage box to have a light scent. Have a routine to maintain your watches every week or bi-monthly.

With these steps, you should be able to keep your watches in pristine condition.

Any Senior Members would like to add or correct me if I’m wrong?

Cheers,
    ten10
    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
    • Montre de MarQue
    • Etoile D'Or
    • Hotel Indonesia
    • Glory Time
    • The Watch-Collector
    • Time Palace
    • The Swiss Connection
    • M Baker
    • Maurice Lacroix
    • Time Marques
    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

for those who are lazy; can use oven on low heat and door open to "cook" the leather. i remember cooking my graphics card to get the solder flowing again, once it was soft enough; i perform (and failed) to do SMD soldering
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for the kind advice. Especially ten10 for such a detailed writeup. sg-roc rocks!

Comment

i store leather watches in a dry cabinet. no issues.

you can extend the usage life of your leather watch as well
          Opportunities come once

Comment

this is useful tip...i will embark on the Drying tips to try removing the sweat smell from my leather watch. Btw, do you use baking powder as "sodium bicarbonate"? Wiki seems to suggest so, but i would like to confirm.

Also, if i change my leather to the Panerai rubber strap, will rubber strap give rise to the small sweat smell too? thanks

Comment

Hehehehe, correct... that's Baking Powder bro!

For rubber straps, sweat doesn't permeate thru' easily unless its a cheap rubber strap that is very porous. But you may also do the same lah! Baking powder is alkaline in properties, so its ok.

And instead of using cinnamon, you may oso try using star anniseed (I think its wrong spelling here) but you know what I mean. I've tried this one oredi on my stinky army boots before
              Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
              • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
              • Montre de MarQue
              • Etoile D'Or
              • Hotel Indonesia
              • Glory Time
              • The Watch-Collector
              • Time Palace
              • The Swiss Connection
              • M Baker
              • Maurice Lacroix
              • Time Marques
              • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

what i have found effective -

1) pack the strap into a ziplock bag.
                2) toss into a freezer
                3) 4-5 days later, take out.
                4) while the strap is thawing, rub it thoroughly with a clear alcohol-based liquid (I use my wife's nail polish remover).

Works so far.....
                "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                three times is enemy action and
                over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                ."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X