Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore's 'compulsory' organ donation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore's 'compulsory' organ donation...

As Sim Tee Hua lay on life support in a Singapore hospital, seven of his relatives knelt crying on the floor before the doctors, begging them not to remove his organs and give him a chance for a miracle recovery.

Their desperate pleas were to no avail and after police and hospital security staff were called in to restrain them, Mr Sim, 43, was rolled away to the operating theatre to expire.

"The hospital staff were running as they wheeled him out of the back door of the room," said Sim Chew Hiah, one of his sisters. "They were behaving like robbers."
    advertisement
    Click to learn more...

The previously healthy lorry driver was already brain-dead after suffering a stroke at work, followed by a cerebral haemorrhage in Singapore General Hospital. The harvesting surgeons had waited for 24 hours, but although his family still clung to hopes that he could recover, Singaporean law assumes all citizens except Muslims are willing organ donors unless they have explicitly opted out.

As a way to tackle the perennial shortage of organs that all developed societies face it has proved effective - kidney transplant rates have tripled since the measure was brought in - but it is also a policy that exemplifies the authorities' paternalistic attitude towards the people.

Nonetheless the spectacle of a distraught family abasing themselves in a futile attempt to win an extra day's grace for their son and brother has triggered a rare debate in the city-state, with the letters pages of its newspapers filled with comments for and against.

"Tears would roll down from his eyes when we spoke to him, telling him not to give up," Mr Sim's brother Tee Yong, 49, told the New Paper.

"We know that medically a brain-dead person cannot wake up. But we did not want to give up hope. All we asked for is just one more day for a miracle to happen."

Justine Burley, a bio-ethicist at the National University of Singapore, said the opt-out policy on donation was "fundamentally a good idea" but allowances had to be made on a case-by-case basis and relatives' mental trauma taken into consideration.

"The spectre of family members down on their knees begging the doctors is almost too much to bear from a human standpoint," she said.

Singapore's media generally follow the government line, and the Today newspaper yesterday implicitly rebuked the relatives, referring to the harvest taking place "in spite of a ruckus created by his family members".

In an article headlined: "Postponement killed dreams of liver transplant patients" it quoted the health minister Khaw Boon Wan telling parliament that the single 24-hour delay they had been granted rendered Mr Sim's liver unusable, although his kidneys and corneas had been transplanted.

"We try our best to be compassionate, but the bottom line is we need to be firm with this opting-out policy and respect the wishes of the dead," he said. "People have a choice to opt out and if they don't, we assume that they must have no objections."

Economically Singapore is a huge success, and Lee Wei Ling, a doctor and the daughter of the country's founding father Lee Kuan Yew, called for the buying and selling of organs to be legalised.

"Organ trading is frowned upon and usually not allowed in countries where political correctness reigns," she wrote. "If monetary incentive makes a potential living donor more willing to save another life, what is wrong in allowing that?" Her suggestion was described as "wrong" by Alastair Campbell, the Chen Su Lan professor of medical ethics at the National University of Singapore, because of the "inevitable exploitation that would be involved".

"The sellers are always going to be the desperate poor," he said, adding that "to trade the human body as some sort of material possession like a car or house" was crossing an unacceptable line.

Mr Sim's parents have been offered reduced hospital fees for five years, and the family have been sent a letter thanking them for their "generous organ donation".

Any tots?
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

If you believe in their hogwash, don't do anything but if you don't and don't want the same thing to happen to you, then OPT out. Simple isn't it?

Comment

I have no issue on organs donation. In the story, the doctor seems to be "robbers" but I think it is because time is very important in medical field. These doctors are there to save lifes, that's why they appeared so rush.... I hope you people understand...

Comment

Originally posted by surestik View Post
        If you believe in their hogwash, don't do anything but if you don't and don't want the same thing to happen to you, then OPT out. Simple isn't it?
        Best thing is, I didn't even receive the form to opt out. Usually when you're near your 21st birthday they will send it to you. I wonder how to get hold of the form...

Comment

i will no sell my organs but i do believe in organ trading afterall this shortage will be solved by simple economics demand/supply curve
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

basket, i think i go sign opt out form... hehee

thn hor, i write will, in the event i mati hor, i gv my family rights to sell my organs... hahahhaa gv family extra $$

Comment

This is not new and controversy will always rage on... But I must say that while rules are still rules, it is the people who interpret and execute on them. They are the ones who should exercise compassion and discretion. What I really don't like about this whole situation is the way people stick to rules blindly. Come to think of it, isn't it a "malaise" with most of our civil servants today? I know I run the risk of being flamed for this comment... But think about it... Its always the easiest to rely on the rule book when things start turning grey. But why shouldn't we think with our hearts as well? Specific to this situation, better communication could also have helped...

My $0.02 worth...
              Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

I signed a form that donates all my organs when i die, not just kidneys. Die already at least can still help pple, maybe can help score a bit more brownie points with God.

Personally I understand that the family may find it hard to see their loved ones get taken apart. Even many of my friends, who are doctors, also refused to donate all their organs. When they got approached at NUS when they were students, most of them said "no" or "I go home and ask my mother first". Wtf, they are >21.

But organ donations are about saving lives. Measuring the pros and cons, this act allows pple which could be u or ur loved ones get an organ they need and live a great life (instead of relying on a dialysis machine if the person has end stage renal failure). The cons are the drama by the family members. In my opinion, pros outweigh cons. So, i disagree with the previous post, and i say go with the book. Just my opinion
                Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

Comment

If next time we not yet die and may have a chance to live but someone announce we dead and cut us up. Took your spare parts for money to boost profit for the organisation.
                  Last edited by teo; 26-07-08, 12:43 AM.
                  Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                  Rolex LV submariner
                  Rolex TT black submariner
                  Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                  Rolex Non date submariner
                  Rolex Explorer2
                  More...

Comment

He was brain-dead but he wasn't dead til he got cut up...

What if Singaporean's organs are used for the FTs?
                    Opportunities come once

Comment

Originally posted by teo View Post
                      If next time we not yet die and may have a chance to live but someone announce we dead and cut us up. Took your spare parts for money to boost profit for the organisation.
                      No one is gonna cut u up when u r still in a coma la.

In this instance of the unfortunate uncle, he had a massive brain bleed lei. The doctors would have tried their darndest and their best already before they decide they will not prolong unnecessary suffering for him.

In the first place, if not for the doctors' intervention, he would be dead even earlier. They have tried whatever they could have, esp the elite icu doctors.

Secondly, if i were him, i wouldnt want to wake up anyway. A massive brain bleed means even if i lived, i would be bed bound, demented and staring blankly, on tube feeding... then i will get bed sores, and frequent lungs and urinary tract infection, before i die of infection anyway. And my family will watch me wither, suffer, and they will end up either getting a maid and pay through their nose, be driven to depression, or i will end up in a nursing home like Renci. What for, right? Best thing is either stroke with good recovery, or massive stroke that will send me off immediately.

And thirdly, ICU has limited beds, and pple downstairs at A&E and wards are fighting for beds for other patients that have arrived and are in very bad shape. And fighting often means begging... yes doctors are begging for a bed in ICU to save a life, but they are so full all the time. I rem a patient with a diabetic foot that needs to be sawed off really soon before he succumb to infection, but there was no icu bed to let him stay after his operation. The doctor had to beg for a bed from 12 noon to 7pm, begging the ICU doctor to help; begging the ortho doctor to review the cases and bring some out; begging the medical doctors to loan a bed and let the patient stay in the medical icu; calling the head of department to help and try to pull rank. That's the reality, limited beds, many lives at stake. Its the bigger picture, bro. Those that have zero chance, like this uncle, got to make space for others.

Lastly, the doctors won't be earning a profit harvesting the organs lor. And doctors dont care about bottom line of the hospital. Sending the uncle to the intensive care already eroded the bottom line since he's v likely a subsidised patient. U think the doctors in a government hospital care about profits at all? Same salary regardless. Just trying their best, in an often thankless job.

The family may find it hard to accept he is dead. Their hope for a miracle cure is part of denial, which is only understandable. They may continue to displace their guilt onto the hospital. On the other hand, this uncle's organs would have changed and improved the quality of lives of several people and the people around them who would be eternally grateful.
                      Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

Comment

your post bluedevil was very moving.
                        Blue 6694
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedevil View Post
                          No one is gonna cut u up when u r still in a coma la.

Lastly, the doctors won't be earning a profit harvesting the organs lor. And doctors dont care about bottom line of the hospital. Sending the uncle to the intensive care already eroded the bottom line since he's v likely a subsidised patient. U think the doctors in a government hospital care about profits at all? Same salary regardless. Just trying their best, in an often thankless job.
                          If organ trading becomes legalised on one can guarantee. Like NKF and Ren Ci... Money made the world goes around. Instruction pass down from top ask you to cut.
                          Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                          Rolex LV submariner
                          Rolex TT black submariner
                          Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                          Rolex Non date submariner
                          Rolex Explorer2
                          More...

Comment

What is more valuable than life?

Originally posted by teo View Post
                            If organ trading becomes legalised on one can guarantee. Like NKF and Ren Ci... Money made the world goes around. Instruction pass down from top ask you to cut.

Comment

it seems many people are willing to put a price on that. like CK Tang chief in recent case.
                              Blue 6694
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X