No announcement yet.

Mint condition but with some scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint condition but with some scratches?

It is getting more and more common that we see on the sale posts description on preowned watches such as:

- mint condition but with some scratces on bracelet (or clasp)
    - 90% mint condition

My understanding has been that "mint" means perfect condition or unused condition (although preowned) when referred to collectibles. A check on some dictionaries confirmed my understanding.

Longman: in mint condition = looking new and in perfect condition

Dictionary.com: being in its original, unused condition; unused or appearing to be newly made and never used

Wikipedia: Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as an action figure, doll, or toy that or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage

I can accept "almost mint" or "near mint", but I think "mint with scratches" and "90% mint" are contradicting and vocabularily incorrect. Any opinions or thoughts? Shall we just refer mint as mint?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Just saw another post - "mint, but dial has been recon"

Comment

agree with your posting. People are just trying to "improve" or make their goods sound better. I guess mods should take note as mint is most like untouched or unworn piece where extremely rich people buy to just "appreciate" the beauty. The majority of us just use it as it is.

almost mint is a better word/ more apt description.
      Currently own:
      Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial 16570
      Rolex Precision 6694 (Manual winding)
      Blue Dial/Silver Markers
      Seiko SNZG15K1
      Ball EMII Diver green inner bezel!
      Stowa Marine Original (White dial)

Wishlist:
      Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM 392 42mm

(gone and missing them)
      Omega Seamaster 2254.50
      Breitling Colt GMT (Black dial)

Comment

Oh com'on guys, how many of us here are that well-versed in English. I'm definitely one whose standard is up to primary sch level only. Give and take, com'on. Sometimes, as what Fengy mentioned, some words are used to "improve" the quality of products/services. At the end of the day, you will only part your money on what you see, feel and touch right?

Moreover we all come from diverse family and educational backgrounds, so certain judgements/views/opinions, and words/phrases can be construed differently. I am sure your point is valid more towards the commercial sectors, ie full-time retailers/companies, and not really us - simple, honest, humble, and fun watch enthusiasts and aficionados ... ?
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

At the end of the day, I've come to the conclusion that you can't believe everything that you read.
          You have to see it in the flesh to make your own judgement.

I will use the fact that they said it was mint in the Ad and if the item was flawed, I will point it out and negotiate hard to reduce the price. Use it to your advantage!

Comment

At times, it's not about the grammar or vocabulary but the marketing hard sell of some sales thread...

TS post is just one example, another example would be seller's claims that value of watch for sale is certain to rise bcos of recent discontinuation of said model... And that is for a model that has been produced in tens of thousand if not in the hundreds thousand...

If I was to apply the 'Buy the seller' policy in my purchasing decision, I wouldn't go any further than reading the above examples sales thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
              Oh com'on guys, how many of us here are that well-versed in English. I'm definitely one whose standard is up to primary sch level only. Give and take, com'on. Sometimes, as what Fengy mentioned, some words are used to "improve" the quality of products/services. At the end of the day, you will only part your money on what you see, feel and touch right?

Moreover we all come from diverse family and educational backgrounds, so certain judgements/views/opinions, and words/phrases can be construed differently. I am sure your point is valid more towards the commercial sectors, ie full-time retailers/companies, and not really us - simple, honest, humble, and fun watch enthusiasts and aficionados ... ?
              Com'on mod, isn't learning and education and sharing also part of the purpose of this forum? So I am just doing my part to "educate" our fellow forumers. But my view and knowledge are not necessary correct, so it's open to kopi-talk as usual, hehe.

Comment

Actually many local preowned watch dealers are also guilty of misusing the word mint. You can easily find examples from the websites of some of these popular dealers. Very often a "mint" watch is not mint but polished to "look mint".

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                  It is getting more and more common that we see on the sale posts description on preowned watches such as:

- mint condition but with some scratces on bracelet (or clasp)
                  - 90% mint condition

My understanding has been that "mint" means perfect condition or unused condition (although preowned) when referred to collectibles. A check on some dictionaries confirmed my understanding.

Dictionary.com: being in its original, unused condition; unused or appearing to be newly made and never used

Wikipedia: Mint condition is often used to describe a collectible item such as an action figure, doll, or toy that or in some cases is as good as new without any scratches or other damage

I can accept "almost mint" or "near mint", but I think "mint with scratches" and "90% mint" are contradicting and vocabularily incorrect. Any opinions or thoughts? Shall we just refer mint as mint?
                  I totally agreed with your comments.
                  I would rather the seller grade the condition in 8/10 or 7/10 or indicate the scratches.. no point last mins the buyer saw it. then the deal is blow off.

Comment

Com'on mod, isn't learning and education and sharing also part of the purpose of this forum? So I am just doing my part to "educate" our fellow forumers. But my view and knowledge are not necessary correct, so it's open to kopi-talk as usual, hehe.
                    Actually many local preowned watch dealers are also guilty of misusing the word mint. You can easily find examples from the websites of some of these popular dealers. Very often a "mint" watch is not mint but polished to "look mint".
                    What 'mod'? Pl hor .. . But it is good to share, no doubt . Yeah, I observed that too but they have to, in order to sell. Most other products & services providers/businesses are the same. Marketing I guess. I read up how Sinn has boasted their usage of submarine steel to construct their U1s and how, later, some consumers complained that the steel was not as tough as how they were marketed/perceived.

Originally posted by johnny View Post
                    I totally agreed with your comments.
                    I would rather the seller grade the condition in 8/10 or 7/10 or indicate the scratches.. no point last mins the buyer saw it. then the deal is blow off.
                    A very valid point. Managing expectations. This, again, can be subjective because my "8/10" and your "8/10" can vary. So it's best to meet up, talk-see-look-touch-feel ..
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Best thing is see the pic. If pic and price looks reasonable, view the watch. Then decide if the condition is ok for you. Mint, unworn, very good are all subjective.

Comment

personally, with the definitions above in mind:-

1)any alterations like a recon dail or any recon parts then it cannot be described as mint.
                        In fact it becomes a franken watch (remember Frankenstein). it must be in its original condition.

2) light scratches but still looking new and in perfect condition= can still be called mint. (see definition above again).

3)but if condition is 70 to 90% then better to say near mint.

unused in watch context not possible because any watch worn once is considered used.
                        My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                        1) WG DIA 18239
                        2) YG DIA 18238
                        3) WG 18239
                        4) YG 18238
                        5) YG 18248G Bark
                        6) WG DIA 18039
                        7) WG 18039
                        8) YG 18038
                        9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                        10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                        11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
                        12) WG 1803
                        13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
                        1)GMT II 116718 18K
                        2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
                        1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                        2)D15037 14k
                        3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

This are just one of the sales tactic that use to make their item sounds more tempting. Don't think there is much that we can do about it as they can always say that different people have different definition for the meaning of mint( just like the meaning of beauty to describe lady). Best is to judge it with your own eyes.

Comment

Simply put, specs will be specs and can sometimes be opened to debate no matter what the dictionary says. So the most prudent thing is to view before you buy. Not much point debating about the terms . In the end if the seller turns out to be taking others for a ride , the forum members who got canned will likely to post up the incident so not much point in taking any further action I feel.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X