Should I Start My Own Business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Start My Own Business?

After 10 years of working as employee, I realized that no matter how good you are…one day you will be jobless cause by following reasons:
    …old
    …..economic crisis
    …….merger and acquisition

After step in this “working world”, I worked very hard for my bosses and just earn for my living. Sometimes I asked myself ‘why I work hard for people but not work for myself?’.

After watch a video clip recently and gave me different thinking and asking myself ‘why I work hard for people and not people work for me?’ I think this is time for me to think seriously…”should I start my own business”…

After I did some research for 72 hours i.e.259,200 seconds. Some feedback from friends:
    …try
    …..you may success
    …….if failed then works for people again

Is it really that easy to try and give up existing job as employee?

Is it really that easy to success in your own business?

Is it really that easy can come back to work as employee after failed?

Cashflow cash flow cash flow.. if you have the $...
    Many successful business pple have rich daddies... if not.. its not as rewarding as you think... no bonus.. need to pay rental and employees.. work 24/7 if you want to be successful..

Comment

.. the positive points are .. freedom of time ..staff reporting to you.. pple calling you Tow Kia.. and sense of achievement...
      statistics points to 80% failure for most new businesses (If I remember correctly)..

Comment

Believe you can and you will make it. Go ahead!!!

Comment

not necessarily true that all of them have rich parents.

my take is that you have to know what business you want to get yourself involve first, then look at the factors that affect your business.

1) capital input
          2) employee - local or foreign
          3) location of business
          4) rental
          5) the whole process of business from input to output
          6) source of input of (like raw materials)
          7) target group
          8) when you break even
          9) your working hours will be changed

my suggestion is that if you are in your mid 40s, do consider carefully, if re-join the workforce, can you get your last drawn pay when you left. is this pool of money you have considered 'extra'? if they are not, how long do you need to work to get this sum back.

nothing is easy. you have to make your own decision.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by ckhouse80 View Post

to stop working as an employee and become employer requires a total change of mindset. you must be more active, willing to put in bucket loads of energy/time/money initially before you can reap any kind of rewards.

i would not like to say success is easy, afterall, everyone would then believe owning a business as an easy ticket to riches.

and finally, from my pov, those who have attempted to branch out are a double edge sword recruit. they can be more on the ball knowing full well that running a business is not easy; but they can also be risky, in ways that their mind are running differently to others, and this can prove to be a problem should they attempt to branch out on their own again.
            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
            Blue 6694
            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I pan to start consulting business, my expenses is staff and rental. At the age of 31 should be ok for me to try right?

Comment

Now the rental for commercial area is at the all time high....do source around out of CBD area to lower the expenses....as for salaries...do note that this year govt rate is 2.5 months for year end bonus ....

Age to me got nothing to do with starting a business...as long you have the proper planning and can execute out the plan then i dun forsee any issue liao...

There is never the 'CORRECT' time to strike out on your own...all depend on your luck,capital and planning....
                Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Luck counts alot too beside the hardwork & effort apply on business.

Comment

seems like some of us are in the same situation....i was contemplating to have a career change or have my own biz...

i guess it depends on yr current and future financial committments as well? most singaporeans have mortgages, car loans, kids and parents to support. At age 31...i guess you should try..

perhaps you can try a "part time" consultancy first and slowly build a base (not sure what kind of consultancy you're doing)? sign up virtual office package to keep costs low...partner with some friends/associates to share the workload of the projects?

just my 10 cents worth..

cheers

james
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

what type of biz are you thinking to run?

Comment

Im not sure if it is allowed in sg (or even possible) for certain business (consultancy, accounting, migration office, etc) to be operated out of home. Obviously those staying HDB are going to have a headache finding a spot to accommodate that. but say, you have a spare bedroom, and relatively easy to get to; you can usually operate from there. brings down your cost be quite abit.

at the moment in perth, im pretty much just using parent's spare yard space and making use of the spare lounge out for storing my "goods". but then again, i sit on a 1012sqm block so space isnt much an issue for me.
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

It is not whether you can or not, it is whether you want to or not...

I say go for it. There is never a good or bad time to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ckhouse80 View Post
                            After 10 years of working as employee, I realized that no matter how good you are…one day you will be jobless cause by following reasons:
                            …old
                            …..economic crisis
                            …….merger and acquisition

After step in this “working world”, I worked very hard for my bosses and just earn for my living. Sometimes I asked myself ‘why I work hard for people but not work for myself?’.

After watch a video clip recently and gave me different thinking and asking myself ‘why I work hard for people and not people work for me?’ I think this is time for me to think seriously…”should I start my own business”…

After I did some research for 72 hours i.e.259,200 seconds. Some feedback from friends:
                            …try
                            …..you may success
                            …….if failed then works for people again

My Friend,

GO FOR IT................Remember to showcase more Rolex watches when you made it.
                            Alternatively, let me know when we could send our resume to you.
                            Rgds
                            Kenny Lim
                            A Crown For Every Achievement.

Comment

I personally believe that not everyone has the life/destiny to be successful as an entrepreneur. If you are not religious, perhaps you can consult with a Feng Shui master first. Doesn't cost alot but you can get some tips about timings, industry etc..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X