No announcement yet.

Which dialect group are you from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if like tat... only a few peranakan can appreciate little nyonya. then sure kena hentam by their bosses for poor box office rating

it is all abt the $$

Comment

I seem to be the only Heng Hwa here...
      1 3 5
      ├┼┼╕
      2 4 6 R

Comment

I feel more home like in HK than here cos I am Cantonese. Whole family Cantonese except wife who is hokkien.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
          My ah kong used to be from zhuan chew.. Got one taxi uncle at jin gua shi told me that his father came from that place also.. He was wondering why I speak the same like him.. haha
          My dad used to be from Lang Mup from china. so i wherenever i speak hokkien, ppl will ask if i am from taiwan. lol
          Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
            My dad used to be from Lang Mup from china. so i wherenever i speak hokkien, ppl will ask if i am from taiwan. lol
            But penang hokkien really sounds differently..singapore hokkien almost same like taiwan but taiwan ppl dunno how to understand penang hokkien..

Comment

But penang hokkien really sounds differently..singapore hokkien almost same like taiwan but taiwan ppl dunno how to understand penang hokkien..
              30% of Penang Hokkien vocabulary consist of borrowed words..with a majority from the Malay language. it's distinctly South East Asian.

Comment

Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post
                30% of Penang Hokkien vocabulary consist of borrowed words..with a majority from the Malay language. it's distinctly South East Asian.
                True, like bro terrence had mentioned. Penang Hokkien is mixed with malay language. While tai yu is purer than the local hokkien which already mixed with little malay words in it, eg. police=mata in Sg, but not in taiwan.
                Current Collection :

Comment

True, like bro terrence had mentioned. Penang Hokkien is mixed with malay language. While tai yu is purer than the local hokkien which already mixed with little malay words in it, eg. police=mata in Sg, but not in taiwan.
                  But how come penang ppl call spoon "tao kiong" when we call "tng see"? then penang ppl say that "tng see" is teochew? but taiwanese also understand "tng see"?

Comment

tai yu and penang hokkien are all subsets of the minnan language. Taiyu and Singapore hokkien are more similar to the Amoy Hokkien spoken in Xiamen. As we know Xiamen is only a stone's throw away from Taiwan. Thus the similarity.

Where as the Penang Hokkien is more similar to the ZhangZhou province hokkien. We call it "kiau kiong" or something to that effect for spoon.

Comment

mother is a teo chew, dad is a hokkien. speak hokkien at home. read very basic chinese (trad mainly due to exposure to hokkien songs when i was younger )
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Son View Post
                        I seem to be the only Heng Hwa here...
                        Wrong. You are not the only HengHua here. Do you know how to speak henghua? It is a dying language. I am consider third generation HengHua in Singapore. Both my paternal and maternal grandparent are Henghua, and my parent are both henghua too.

Comment

Dad n mum - hainanese
                          In laws plus wife - hainanese

100% Hainan family

My dogs oso can understand hainanese, haha

Even though then, I can't understand hainanese fm Hainan island chim

Comment

But how come penang ppl call spoon "tao kiong" when we call "tng see"? then penang ppl say that "tng see" is teochew? but taiwanese also understand "tng see"?
                            Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post
                            tai yu and penang hokkien are all subsets of the minnan language. Taiyu and Singapore hokkien are more similar to the Amoy Hokkien spoken in Xiamen. As we know Xiamen is only a stone's throw away from Taiwan. Thus the similarity.

Where as the Penang Hokkien is more similar to the ZhangZhou province hokkien. We call it "kiau kiong" or something to that effect for spoon.
                            Btw, tecchew and hokkien is also pretty similar in some words. Areas that are near seems to speak similar in a way.
                            Current Collection :

Comment

Originally posted by Foxbat View Post
                              Dad n mum - hainanese
                              In laws plus wife - hainanese

100% Hainan family

My dogs oso can understand hainanese, haha

Even though then, I can't understand hainanese fm Hainan island chim
                              Wah...100% pure hainam kor!

Yeah the hainanese from there is much more chim!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Btw, tecchew and hokkien is also pretty similar in some words. Areas that are near seems to speak similar in a way.
                                More of the accent is different...for most of the words...generally quite close

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X