Mid life career change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid life career change

i'm 36 and looking for a career change....but with so much commitments..it's scary to take the first step at times...nonetheless, i'm looking out and hope to find something rewarding (intrinsic and monetary wise) and challenging...

just curious how many members did this and what's your experience?

cheers
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Ha. 36 and you call mid life. Then people like me 3/4 Liao.

Comment

Factually speaking, life expectancy for the average Singaporean male is 78...

Comment

My own experience:
        1st 7 years in port industry
        At age 33 went overseas to work in port industry for 1 year
        At age 34 came back to Spore and work for security industry for 3 months
        At age 34 work for public transport industry for 1 year
        At age 35 work for airport for 1 year
        Now at age 36, working for healthcare industry

My only regret is spending too long a time in my first company. Changing industry is not insurmountable. The only obstacle is in your mind. Once you take the first step, you will not look back again.

Comment

i agreed... staying the 1st job for the longest time is a waste. you tend to get into your comfort zone. i've been a designer for 5 yrs in my 1st company then now i'm working in industrial relations. althru i still like designing but i know it doesnt have much career path to stay longer.

changing industries can gain more exp. my friend from IT industry got retrenched in 2009 after working for many yrs but now he laughing all the way cos he found a new job shortly with a pay rise of 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by voltshin View Post
            i agreed... staying the 1st job for the longest time is a waste. you tend to get into your comfort zone. i've been a designer for 5 yrs in my 1st company then now i'm working in industrial relations. althru i still like designing but i know it doesnt have much career path to stay longer.

changing industries can gain more exp. my friend from IT industry got retrenched in 2009 after working for many yrs but now he laughing all the way cos he found a new job shortly with a pay rise of 50%.
            Bro,
            I concur with your statement. I spent 7 long years in my first serious job working for peanuts, no bonus and working like a dog but to me it was a comfort zone.
            I finally snapped out of it 2 years ago by leaving.
            Still basically doing the same thing but with more focused contract job searching and there is more fulfilment and pay practically doubled. So now I get twice the peanuts, haha!
            Sweet 16:
            PP Aquanaut
            VC Overseas
            AP ROO Black Themes
            A.Lange & Sohne 1815
            Breguet Type XXI
            Blancpain 50 Fathoms
            JLC Navy Seals
            GO Senator 60s
            GP Laureato
            Zenith Pilot Extra Special
            Rolex DSSD
            IWC Big Pilot
            Pam 112
            Omega Ploprof
            Breitling Super Avenger
            Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
              Bro,
              I concur with your statement. I spent 7 long years in my first serious job working for peanuts, no bonus and working like a dog but to me it was a comfort zone.
              I finally snapped out of it 2 years ago by leaving.
              Still basically doing the same thing but with more focused contract job searching and there is more fulfilment and pay practically doubled. So now I get twice the peanuts, haha!
              Single peanut=S$600K
              Double peanut=S$1.2Mil
              So envy!

Comment

Originally posted by flagship View Post
                single peanut=s$600k
                double peanut=s$1.2mil
                so envy!
                awesome!!! :d :d :d

Comment

Well I did the reversed, I jumped alot during my younger days and stayed longer as I grew older. My take on this is that the older you are and the higher you are, the harder it is to switch without taking a higher risk or a hit on your salary(especially if you've got kids and such to think of). That is unless you got headhunted by a different industry or move into something still related to your current industry but in a different scope.

Comment

Me too. I'm looking at a switch too but dunno how to do it when I'm now no longer myself but with 2 kids ? Bro wolfeyes, I thought u r cool with your current job. Envy your job type ,unlike me is like Pretty much the same for the next 20yrs ! My Gosh... I'm stuck for this job. How ? HOW ? How to switch ?
                    the Trails and the Ocean !

Comment

Originally posted by kermit e froggy View Post
                      Me too. I'm looking at a switch too but dunno how to do it when I'm now no longer myself but with 2 kids ? Bro wolfeyes, I thought u r cool with your current job. Envy your job type ,unlike me is like Pretty much the same for the next 20yrs ! My Gosh... I'm stuck for this job. How ? HOW ? How to switch ?
                      Hey Bro Kermit,
                      I'm in the same situation as you. Doing the same job for the past decade and will probably do the same for the next 20-30yrs unless something better like sudden windfall comes along. Already getting and looking old, so hard to switch industry that I can share my 'expertise' and experience with now : (
                      Sweet 16:
                      PP Aquanaut
                      VC Overseas
                      AP ROO Black Themes
                      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                      Breguet Type XXI
                      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                      JLC Navy Seals
                      GO Senator 60s
                      GP Laureato
                      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                      Rolex DSSD
                      IWC Big Pilot
                      Pam 112
                      Omega Ploprof
                      Breitling Super Avenger
                      Glycine F104

Comment

maybe we should just pull our resources and start our own biz....create a directory of one's skillset/experiences then match them..crazy thought huh?
                        I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                        A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                        Audemars Piguet ROO
                        Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                        De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                        Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                        IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                        Panerai 270
                        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                        Rolex 116610LV
                        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                          i'm 36 and looking for a career change....but with so much commitments..it's scary to take the first step at times...nonetheless, i'm looking out and hope to find something rewarding (intrinsic and monetary wise) and challenging...

just curious how many members did this and what's your experience?

cheers
                          Its important to know what you want, your goals etc.. before you "jump". Most of us sg-poreans are risk averse and money minded so its tough.

Comment

Starting up is not really that scarry a thought, have done it before and have done it for others too. It's a great experience, everyone should try it at least once.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X