My rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My rant

Hi guys, I'm not too sure whether this is the correct forum to post this experience of mine, but I do hope to get it off my chest and seek the opinions of you people here. This is regarding a watch exchange experience I had with one of the forumers here, whom I do not wish to mention the name.

The deal is that we are to do a 1-for-1 exchange of a certain brand of watch (my watch and his is of the same brand). It was agreed that we meet up for a no-obligation viewing of the watches before doing the exchange (though we have seen the photos of each other's watches in the forum).

So once we met up, we did a check on the watches and we seemed to be please with them (or at least I am). His only issue is that my watch is fitted with a NATO strap, which he do not like. So I told him that I can get the original strap fitted back at the AD, which he agreed to close the sale if the original strap is replaced and it fits his wrist size. The AD was closed on that time, so we agreed to meet the next day once the original strap is fitted.

Come the following day, I went to the AD to get the strap fixed and we met again. This time, he tried on the watch and it fits him perfectly. This is where the issue started. He began micro examining the watch and kept commenting that there is a scratch on the sapphire crystal face. I know that I kept the watch in pretty good condition (it's about 3.5 years old anyway) and I'm pretty sure there isnt a scratch before. Worse still, he tried to polish off the so-called scratch with a MacDonald's serviette even before showing to me or telling me that there is a scratch. God knows whether the "scratch" is caused by him using such an unsuitable material.

All the time while this "polishing" is happening, he did not even have the courtesy to show me his watch for examination. So basically, i sat there for almost 1 hour looking at him fiddling my watch and asking me stupid questions about the warranty card, why the manual is in German, and why the bezel is unidirectional, etc. These questions are strange coming from someone who apparently owns Speedmasters and Rolexes, and the same brand of watch that we are exchanging.

So after all these fiddlings, we conclude that the scratch may be due to the wearing off of the protective coating, which can be easily replaced or touched up by the AD (as I've verified on a call to the AD right in front of him). After all these, he still deliberated by telling me he needs to consult his friend and another shop owner who is an expert at watches (or so he claims). And he proposed to meet up the 3rd time after consulting his friend.

Seriously, I'm not desperate to close the deal and I've an appointment to catch. Fancy spending more than an hour examining the watch when in the first place, the examination should be done on the first day. Worst thing is that he said that the strap is the issue and now, it is the apparent scratch (which when i examined it, it is hardly more than 1mm and not really visible) which may be caused by him. So after that, I just packed and walked off, feeling very pissed off.

Sorry for the long story, and some of you guys may think I am pretty unreasonable. For that matter, the worth of each watch is abt 2k only, and the way the examination is conducted, it is as if for a half million dollar watch. The part where i am most cheesed off is the promise that the deal will be closed after the original strap is fitted, which did not happened at all though I made the effort to get it done.

Just hope to hear a second opinion for you people. Thanks for the time!

I'm curious - who in his right mind would take a Macs serviette to rub away at a crystal of a watch that doesn't even belong to him...

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. Esp the part of using a serviette to clean a luxury watch. I have however met people who are very particular about every small thing. Once someone even asked me why there is so many fingerprint marks, after he handled it! Haha... I would not deal with him if I don't feel comfortable with him. I think the person might have second thoughts if he is so picky with you.

Comment

Such people...walk away and no deal. I have had so many unpleasant encounters that I am quite sick of selling watches to people I have not dealt with before.

Now, after first viewing, it's either deal or no deal. What's with asking many people to see for a 2k watch for trade. If the buyer no confident, then bring whole gang on first visit. That's a waste of your time.

Comment

Wah, serviette to rubber the watch?! He thinks the watch is already his!!!!??!
          Walk away from this kind of seller, you will just be wasting time. After he consulted his friend, best friend, neighbor, village etc, he will still find some reason to del
          Ay completion of the trade.
          "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
          three times is enemy action and
          over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
          ."

Comment

I hope I didn't get it wrong from your long message. Is it the Sinn U1 of yours in question? Nevermind, that's not important.

I understand your frustrations here, and from your side of the story, that chap was not doing things right. To examine the watch closely again after you'd changed straps was not wrong. We have heard how, even doing verification at the RSC, could cause scratches on the watches. But what I thought was the other party should not have handled and treated your watch in the manner you'd described, and why did you allow him to in the first place?

We hope the other party can say some of your own here.
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

dont say a MacDonald's serviette, even a polishing cloth can contain micro particular that can scratch a watch surface. i kena before on my sunglasses. painful. but what to do? so from then now, if i spot any marks on someone's else watch, i would usually ask the other party to clean up before i look at it again.

this is done on the spot and immediately as this would prevent any misunderstanding.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

The way I see it, basically the guy changed this mind before the second meet-up, and so tried to find excuse to back off from the deal. What he should have done is to tell you the truth, apologise, and offer to buy the strap that you might not need.
                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  I hope I didn't get it wrong from your long message. Is it the Sinn U1 of yours in question? Nevermind, that's not important.

I understand your frustrations here, and from your side of the story, that chap was not doing things right. To examine the watch closely again after you'd changed straps was not wrong. We have heard how, even doing verification at the RSC, could cause scratches on the watches. But what I thought was the other party should not have handled and treated your watch in the manner you'd described, and why did you allow him to in the first place?

We hope the other party can say some of your own here.
                  Yup, this is the Sinn U1. What I'm upset about is the time wasting. I mean, if he isnt interested in the first place for whatsoever reason, he should just tell me. Even after the 2nd meeting, if he isnt interested, he can still tell me straight instead of finding fault and rubbing the watch face with the serviette. I told him that the serviette is NOT the proper material to polish the face and he still continued doing it.

Again, this is coming from a guy who claims to collect luxury watches. Surely he has enough sense to know that, especially when he is dealing with others' watches. I'm just disgusted by this experience.

Comment

I can feel your frustrations. Take it a lesson learnt.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      dont say a MacDonald's serviette, even a polishing cloth can contain micro particular that can scratch a watch surface. i kena before on my sunglasses. painful. ...
                      ouch.... i always use those microfibre cloth to polish my specs, lcd, watch, etc. any way to avoid the scratches, other than wash the cloth to make sure no particles stuck inside.
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Just asking Is his name N***S***??????

I can understand your plight as i too got a bad...ddd experience with a guy before, nearly wanna stuck my D*** to shut his mouth. Met up and try messing with me by complaining my sapphire crystal, case and bracelet on my 99% condition watch using a scope to inspect and try to bargain lower again during the transaction. I answer right on his face take it or leave it. Lucky for this guy he took it else englise malay tamil hokkien cantonese vulgarities will come from my mouth already

I remember a scene from a ganster movie....you mess with me i mess with u and your family
                        [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/rolex-submariner-116619lb-021.jpg[/IMG]
                        [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/Rolex-Black-Dial-Daytona-116520.jpg[/IMG]
                        [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/Originals_23.jpg[/IMG]
                        [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/IMG_0491.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by watchpassionist View Post
                          ...you mess with me i mess with u and your family
                          abit harsh action over a watch yeah?
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by watchpassionist View Post
                            I can understand your plight as i too got a bad...ddd experience with a guy before, nearly wanna stuck my D*** to shut his mouth.
                            Whoa there!!!!

Comment

wash and then after use, put it inside a sleeve or something.

however, it is rare because it is not suppose to collect particles. just have to make sure you keep it as clean as possible.

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              ouch.... i always use those microfibre cloth to polish my specs, lcd, watch, etc. any way to avoid the scratches, other than wash the cloth to make sure no particles stuck inside.
                              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                              1. subject heading indicating your issue
                              2. your nick
                              3. your corresponding email address
                              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X