Entry Level watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Level watch?

Sometimes I wonder what exactly is a Entry Level Watch.

The cheapest watch of that brand, the simplest movement or the iconic symbol, especially for Rolex and Pam?

Weird isn't it? You are going to spend a big chunk of money, and you want to buy the cheapest of them all so you can tell people you own one? Not very logicial le.

Shouldn't the person try the models of the brand, get the one he like best and thus do his budget? From the pictures and the watch boutique, when I look at Pam, I only like and will consider the submersible only (till now, Pam does not sing to me), not sure of the pricing but is probably double that of PAm 000.

When I first bought my rolex, it was the DJ, because it was iconic and I like it, not because it was the cheapest.

Buying a high-end watch just because it is cheapest of the high end or certain brand really really don't cut the cake.

Let's not get too judgemental here my friend

Some people really do like a particular brand but can never afford to get the top of the line and so settle for a little less but still something they like. For example, I love the GMT IIC but its a little ex and also the fit is not as good. I bought an explorerii nevertheless and i love it for the fit... considering the explorer ii compared with the gmtii, the explorer ii is an entry level sports model. I still love the GMTii for its iconic status but cant help but settle for the explorer ii for the fit

Anything goes man, i believe as long as you like the watch or brand and feel happy just owning one, yea go for it. However, only when you can afford it and not paying through your nose for it.

Hope you get my point.
    Currently own:
    Rolex Explorer 2 Black Dial 16570
    Rolex Precision 6694 (Manual winding)
    Blue Dial/Silver Markers
    Seiko SNZG15K1
    Ball EMII Diver green inner bezel!
    Stowa Marine Original (White dial)

Wishlist:
    Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM 392 42mm

(gone and missing them)
    Omega Seamaster 2254.50
    Breitling Colt GMT (Black dial)

Comment

This sounds really cliched but I'd say go with your heart.
      Sometimes the basic range speaks volumes enough and is in fact more attractive than the flag ship model!
      Take for instance the Patek Phillipe Aquanaut, not exactly the most basic model but very aesthetically appealing and "reasonably" priced compared to the dearer Nautilus. No offence to Nautilus lovers, of course : )
      Sweet 16:
      PP Aquanaut
      VC Overseas
      AP ROO Black Themes
      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
      Breguet Type XXI
      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
      JLC Navy Seals
      GO Senator 60s
      GP Laureato
      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
      Rolex DSSD
      IWC Big Pilot
      Pam 112
      Omega Ploprof
      Breitling Super Avenger
      Glycine F104

Comment

I think everyone's impression of what is 'entry' level differs. For some they consider it their first watch. Seiko, Swatch.. for others, its Tag, Breitling.. and of course some consider entry level as Patek.. so differs i guess.

but i do agree with what Fengy says. everyone has a 'dream' watch.. so an entry level watch is basically a 'temporary' substitute before one day, you can own your dream watch.

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post
          Buying a high-end watch just because it is cheapest of the high end or certain brand really really don't cut the cake.
          I take it you are targeting folks who buy the cheapest Rolex or whatever that they can find, then haolian to others that they own a Rolex etc etc. I interpret as such because you had some explanation on your DJ purchase. Because reading your post in its entirety, especially the comments on PAMs and the last line, comes across as very ah sia kia, high-and-mighty attitude.

There's alot of ways to respond, but I think this is a good illustration. A long time ago, Rolex introduced the "Commando" range of explorers for folks who could wanted the brand but cant afford the price. Very literally entry level watches for the common man on the street. If you ridiculed anyone for buying a Rolex Commando back then... Well, good luck man, they will turn around and laugh you out of the house now, because these days the Commando is rare as rocking horse **** and worth multiples of its original "entry level" pricing ... Many, many multiples. Can't even find one for sale these days as compared to COMEXes or DRSDs or whatnot.

In this case, buying a high-end watch just because it is cheapest of the high end or certain brand really really did cut the cake.

Comment

It's really a tough question. Entry level watch should be something more affordable and iconic. But the most important is, you must like it. It's pointless to get a watch if you do not like it. There are many models that are iconic but the prices are not simply affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post
              Sometimes I wonder what exactly is a Entry Level Watch.

The cheapest watch of that brand, the simplest movement or the iconic symbol, especially for Rolex and Pam?

Weird isn't it? You are going to spend a big chunk of money, and you want to buy the cheapest of them all so you can tell people you own one? Not very logicial le.

How would you know that he wanted to buy the cheapest and not because his budget only allow him to buy that? Logical?

Shouldn't the person try the models of the brand, get the one he like best and thus do his budget? From the pictures and the watch boutique, when I look at Pam, I only like and will consider the submersible only (till now, Pam does not sing to me), not sure of the pricing but is probably double that of PAm 000.

And how would you know that the person did not try or look most models of the brand and the one that he is getting is the one he like best within his budget?

When I first bought my rolex, it was the DJ, because it was iconic and I like it, not because it was the cheapest.

To me it is simple, no such things as entry level watch as you are not going to open up the case and service or repair your watches yourself so you don't have to start from basic to complicated. Just buy what you like within your budget. Most of the time when ppl ask opinion for entry level watch most probably he is lookin for watches that falls within his budget so IMO if you are very rich, your so call entry level watch can be a AP, PP or Lange. Be it the cheapest among the brands or not, the most important is you like it.

But by what you have said, i personally feels that you are detest those that are using their money to buy an high end watch but their budget only allow them to get the cheapest among the brands.

Be it that their intention is just to show off to others or to pampered themself for so many years of hard work, it is still bought with their hard earn money, no steal no rob.

Just my quarter cents.

Comment

the term "Entry Level" is what I tell my SO hoping that she thinks the watch I gg to buy is uber cheap.

doesnt work everytime. apparently, some brands such as PAM,ROLEX, IWC, AP, only kick in the word "EXPENSIVE" regardless of what I tell her
                I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

For me...entry level is a "luxurious" watch that I could afford at a younger stage of my life which I desire. For the fortunate, it may be a Rolex or PAM. For me, it was a Tag. That was my first watch above S$1k. I still have it!
                  His: AP ROO, Hublot BB, PAM 24/29/183/372, Chopard L.U.C 2000/Mille Miglia, Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV/Sub 16610 LV/1680 "Red Sub"/GMT Master 1675/GMT Master II 16760 "FAT LADY"/Seadweller 16600/DSSD 116660, Tudor 94010 "Snowflake"/94200 "BIG Block"/Heritage Chrono/Black Bay, Omega Seamaster 2254.50/2538.20

Hers: AP ROO & AP Millenary, Cartier Santos, Chopard Happy Sports & Cannes Fest, PAM 49, Rolex Explorer1 214270

Comment

I was just having a discussion with my friends over this issue of buying an entry level watch. I guess we can apply this to any product out in the market, be it a car, TV, laptop and the list goes on. Buying an entry level product doesn't necessarily imply the person wants to own a luxurious brand to show off. As what most bros have said, i would think buying one that u like within your budget makes the most sense, as long as the money used to buy it is legitimate.

For eg, buying a toyota vios doesn't mean i can't afford the altis or a camry, it may be due to the fact that i prefer better fuel economy but i still want a toyota.

Comment

My opinion is there is no such thing as entry level of watches, get what you like and comfortable for daily wear. Honestly, I feel uncomfortable wearing a full Kim Kim watch to work daily. My daily wear is the SS DJ....

Comment

i guess a lot of us don't have the dough to buy the middle/high end range of a watch brand...so an entry level watch is one that we're happy to own and enjoy the feeling of the ownership before one decides to either trade up/keep it/pass down.

not many pple start off with a 5 series/7 series BMW....a lot of us know that the journey of watch collecting is equally if not more valuable and enjoyable.

some pple may enjoy amassing a lot of "entry level" watches because they like variety or it's their collecting philosophy...when they actually calculate how much they've spent in total...they could easily afford a AP/PP and etc...

just my humble opinion
                        I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                        A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                        Audemars Piguet ROO
                        Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                        De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                        Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                        IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                        Panerai 270
                        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                        Rolex 116610LV
                        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

to me entry level means basic level....

I started with Seiko/Citizen diving watches then went into Tag Heuer, now Rolex.

unless you are born wealthy, most of us will start off with something affordable....same for cars too....

if the context is changed in reference to entry level for Rolex...then its really anyone's guess...for me, I would think a entry level for Rolex would be the Explorer I.

Comment

The term entry watch is a personal judgement based on each individual's various factors. There is no one size fits all. Same as the term 'there is no such thing as common sense'.

Comment

Watches are not meant for comparing wealth! Else, everyone should just buy a toubillon and nothing else. It's for enjoyment according to personal taste.

A basic 5167 or 5004 both represent the DNA of patek, regardless of cost. There are some people who can afford a 5004 but like his 5167 more.

Same for rolex. An explorer 1 and a daytona are both great creation that has their own admirers.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X