No announcement yet.

Upcoming SITEX 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which model is better canon 550D or nikon 5000 or nikon 3100?
    my sis wants to get one but not sure which one to get.
    price is as follow:
    canon 550D->S$ 1149
    nikon5000-> S$1099
    nikon3000-> S$999
    schedule is quite tight as SITEX is ending today

Comment

if you are starting on DSLR/SLR from scratch aka you do not have any lens in hand, then there is not much difference which brand you going to get. why? because canon users will say canon better. nikon user will say nikon better.

feel/grip

i would suggest that you sister go and handle all the 3 camera. it must feel comfortable, i am referring to the grip of the camera. different brand camera grip have different feel. even models within the same brand have different feel.

weight

besides the grip/feel, the weight of camera also plays an important role. different people have different strength in arms/wrist, as such the weight of a camera will either weigh a ton or a feather. do factor in if you want to get additional battery pack to either have a better hold of the camera and/or extended battery life. there are users who purposely get battery pack to give the camera a better grip and/or hold

navigation of controls

the navigation of controls for the different aspects of the camera should be intuitive for you. this means that you can switch to aperture/shutter/manual modes easily and quickly.

all the above factors should assist you in one way or another hopefully in selecting the camera you/your sister desire.

that aside, you need to consider what type of pictures you/your sister like to take. this will affect the kit lens you choose

click here to read more about the reviews on various types of camera.

also there are quite a number of canon users in sg-roc judging from the last brewerkz gathering. i have loan my macro lens to couple of the forum members here before. at the watch photography course, most of the participants were using canon also. as such, i think t-loan of lens should be easier provided there is trust.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

speaking of lens my dad had one yashica lens he bought the yashica camera years ago...
        can it be used on canon or nikon?

may i know what macro lens is that? brand and model would be helpful

Comment

550D at 1149? Just the body w/o the lens u mean? Usually lens cannot share brands.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

to add on to my previous post the yashica lens is an anologue one as there is a red dot on the lens

went there to feel the cameras yesterday all 3 were ok
            as for the lens the weight is not part of my sis consideration
            as for the navigation, after buying canon's camera need to go for lesson...so does that mean that the canon camera is difficult to use? for nikon camera not so sure if need to go for lesson after the purchase of nikon's camera

Comment

I've been also wanting to buy a dslr for a long time but can't bring my heart to spend more than a thousand dollars on a camera. Moreover the normal digital cam from canon that I am using gives good enough quality photos for me. I wait & see how the price will drop first..
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I believe you don't really need to go for/attend lessons to use the basic functions of a dslr camera. Try playing with it and obtain information from photo mags. It should help. But to advance further, you may consider some relevant private courses. And on your question of the brands, it doesn't matter which brand of camera you buy, you just have to get use to it.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by m33pok View Post
                  darkangel what time and at which hall did you go to? SITEX took up 3 halls (6,5,4)
                  i went there in the afternoon yesterday was very crowded at hall 6 but going to hall 5and 4 less crowd
                  Around 6pm till 8pm.

Halls 5 and 4 were less crowded. but I was expecting as bad as last time..when you walk it's really really sardine packed

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Try to go after 5pm today and see if you'll be canned sardine or tuna..
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                      Try to go after 5pm today and see if you'll be canned sardine or tuna..
                      That 1 sure become canned sardines 1 hahaha

Comment

most important question you need to ask yourself, why you want to get a DSLR in the first place. there are some watch pictures taken here using non-DSLR/SLR. these pictures are also quite good quality.

why get a DSLR? unless you want to have the function and ability to change lens to take certain type of pictures which a compact camera can't. take for example, you want to have a fisheye effect picture, normal compact camera cant but there are some models which you can attach additional lens to it to achieve that effect.

the canon lessons provided is not to say canon camera is harder to use. rather it is more of a value-added service so that you can optimize the use of your camera.

im using a canon DSLR, recently purchase another compact camera *canon* also because sometimes dont wish to have the weight to carry around. also, i have been using a canon camera for close to 20 years. from the days using film to now, so when i move into DSLR, i stuck with canon because of the lens.

i have a professional photographer friend who started with canon and because of one incident, he decided to change to nikon and he did not look back. he still tells me that canon is lousy lah. sell and join the nikon users. i told me, me not professional like you.

personally i would say go for a camera that has the flip back screen view like 60D, nikon has this feature in one of their cameras like 5-10 years ago. i say it is a damn useful feature. why? because you dont need to trouble ppl to take picture of yourself,etc.
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

also, dont need to go to sitex to be packed like sardine/tuna/etc.

go to those reputable ones like John3:16, TK photo, both @ funan. you can also try cathay photo @ marina square, ms color in AMK. tell them you looking for this model of camera, im sure they can match their pricing in one way or another.

this is because im not sure whether it is worth the effort to travel there and get this extra bit of freebie. my suggestion is wait till the last hour and haggle for 1 or 2 step up memory card size which i find it the most useful freebie. the rest, after going for several IT show, i give up liao. alternative, do your homework and press them for better pricing for additional lens or flash if you intend to buy.

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

Cathay give no discount... but at least no need to pack like sardine at show... buy from shop can chit chat with SE and take time to check before taking it home...Triton bro, change to Nikon lah... =P

Originally posted by triton View Post
                            also, dont need to go to sitex to be packed like sardine/tuna/etc.

go to those reputable ones like John3:16, TK photo, both @ funan. you can also try cathay photo @ marina square, ms color in AMK. tell them you looking for this model of camera, im sure they can match their pricing in one way or another.

this is because im not sure whether it is worth the effort to travel there and get this extra bit of freebie. my suggestion is wait till the last hour and haggle for 1 or 2 step up memory card size which i find it the most useful freebie. the rest, after going for several IT show, i give up liao. alternative, do your homework and press them for better pricing for additional lens or flash if you intend to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                              Cathay give no discount... but at least no need to pack like sardine at show... buy from shop can chit chat with SE and take time to check before taking it home...Triton bro, change to Nikon lah... =P

Bro...thought you were using a Canon G9? Hahaha

Comment

thanks triton for the help my sis still chooses nikon...
                                cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X