Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS...for the lost driver

Hey guys...

Just got my license this week..hehe so first thing I need is a GPS!

Anyone has any particular brands or models to recommend? I am open to standalone devices or alternatives like phones/devices with GPS functions.

Some of my options...

1) Standalone devices - relatively affordable these days I think..that time I was out with my friend shopping for a GPS he paid about $200+ or so. Downside is that it serves it purpose as a GPS only.

2) Phones with GPS capabilities - iPhone, BB Torch? Currently using an E52 but the GPS doesn't seem really reliable. I m running my E52 on an iPhone plan with 12GB but it's hopelessly slow and laggy for internet or 3G.

3) iPad? That maybe an issue mounting in the car.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

1) good, but not very convenient. may be a dangling carrot for thieves. my friend got his gps and radar detector cleaned up. total loss: A$1000 + cost of broken window and insurance excess.

2) iphone 4 got good gps, but since you dont like touch screen phone, i will spare you the sales pitch. on certain phones, you can just buy a bluetooth gps receiver. and download maps.

3) ipad. hmmmm. mounting is not an issue; just need to get creative . you may want to check out your options.

4) best is, study map if you have time. plot your routes in advance, and learn alternative routes. over time, you will learn more about the road, and that is the best gps you can have.

like today, the freeway (expressway) was jammed pack to the point where i cant even move, even resorted to turning off the engine at one stage. so how? im not going to wait 2hrs for the traffic to clear. so i took the next exit, and took all back lanes back to home. got there in 45mins compared to potentially 3hrs.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Congratulations!!! One more asset liquidating chance.

GPS can be had quite cheap. iphone works too thought not as good as the real thing
      what i use is the non battery operated street directory. grinding through the pages the hard way.

good thing about the hard way is, after your P you will be familiar with the basic routes.

using GPS makes you concentrating on the next "turn left" and not remembering the routes.
      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
        1) good, but not very convenient. may be a dangling carrot for thieves. my friend got his gps and radar detector cleaned up. total loss: A$1000 + cost of broken window and insurance excess.

2) iphone 4 got good gps, but since you dont like touch screen phone, i will spare you the sales pitch. on certain phones, you can just buy a bluetooth gps receiver. and download maps.

3) ipad. hmmmm. mounting is not an issue; just need to get creative . you may want to check out your options.

4) best is, study map if you have time. plot your routes in advance, and learn alternative routes. over time, you will learn more about the road, and that is the best gps you can have.

like today, the freeway (expressway) was jammed pack to the point where i cant even move, even resorted to turning off the engine at one stage. so how? im not going to wait 2hrs for the traffic to clear. so i took the next exit, and took all back lanes back to home. got there in 45mins compared to potentially 3hrs.
        1) That's true, I do agree on that part. A risk involved though not common that it gets broken in SG but you never know 1.

2) Still need alot of convincing before you see me using an iPhone permernantly...hahahaha...

3) Hmmm...maybe yeah...

4) The classic eh...

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
          Congratulations!!! One more asset liquidating chance.

GPS can be had quite cheap. iphone works too thought not as good as the real thing
          what i use is the non battery operated street directory. grinding through the pages the hard way.

good thing about the hard way is, after your P you will be familiar with the basic routes.

using GPS makes you concentrating on the next "turn left" and not remembering the routes.
          Hmm..looks like you guys are leaning towards the traditional method

Comment

Human GPS- Get Gf or wife to be GPS, they point the route and you drive.
            Nobody is Perfect, I am Nobody.

Comment

Street Directory. The cheapest and most reliable way, no need to waste money. Drive a few more times and you can even use that street directory to wrap kacang puteh.

Comment

Originally posted by soulmama View Post
                Originally posted by crazybay View Post
                Street Directory. The cheapest and most reliable way, no need to waste money. Drive a few more times and you can even use that street directory to wrap kacang puteh.
                Hmmm...looks like all the votes are swaying towards the gd ol' street directory...

Comment

Originally posted by soulmama View Post
                  Not a good idea *imo*. Later give salah directions, or miss the turn, face become black liao.

Originally posted by crazybay View Post
                  just make sure you dun tear out the page that you need in the future
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

GPS is what many drivers is relying on these days. Not too bad. Congratz for being a driver. Must be feeling great I suppose
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                      just make sure you dun tear out the page that you need in the future
                      Ermmm..... then tear out those that is the border with sea one first lor.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                        GPS is what many drivers is relying on these days. Not too bad. Congratz for being a driver. Must be feeling great I suppose

Feeling is not bad at all...hehehe...

Comment

congrats.... but GPS sometimes can mislead people.
                          i used Agis before... not bad...
                          iphone google map is very good but need another person to lead the way.
                          best is to plan your route by using www.skypigeon.com or streetdirectory.com

Comment

generally, singapore is more like a square grid system. so a 3 left or right turn should get you back to the original spot should you make a wrong turn.

most of the places that you want to go, if you have a general idea where it is, just head in that direction. use a phone online navigation app to guide you along.

for gps, the only setback is that if you in a position where there is a upper and lower road, it interpret you on the lower level. this is because it is based on longtitude and latitude. so no 3D to track where your car position is.

usually before heading to a place, i use streetdirectory or online sg map. then just write down turn left @ this junction, turn right @ this junction. stick it on the corner of top windscreen.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Bro,

Do you have iPhone4? If you have, use papago. It's good. I have been using that all the while. It's get updated faster than those you buy the actual GPS device.
                              Enicar Sherpa 147 R.I.P.
                              Omega Constellation 168.045 - 368.845
                              Omega Constellation 168.059 - 368.0852
                              Omega Speedmaster Automatic (“Reduced”) 3510.50.00
                              Omega Planet Ocean Big Size 2208.50.00
                              Omega Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37
                              Tag Heuer WN2111

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X