FTS by sellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTS by sellers

Some Frequently Told Stories by sellers...

1. Box missing during moving house (I understand if people throw away the watch box, but to have the usually very big box gone missing...)

2. Worn less than 5 times only (hmm...can anyone tell if a watch has been worn 5 times or 25 times?)

3. I am the first owner (but of course the receipt is never kept)

4. Not sure about the accuracy 'cos never monitor (hmm...)

5. Selling 'cos too many watches (I belive this is the genuine reason why most people incl myself, sell their watch)

Maybe the bros out there can share some FTS by sellers too And don't get me wrong, I am not saying those are lies...
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

I always detest, "My wife says ... " . This' especially infuriating when you are buying your watch, not your wife's. Sounds to me like a kids' game, "Simon SAYS" ...
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Here's my take!

1. Box missing during moving house (I understand if people throw away the watch box, but to have the usually very big box gone missing...)

I don't understand this one either, but then again I've not moved since getting into this...

2. Worn less than 5 times only (hmm...can anyone tell if a watch has been worn 5 times or 25 times?)

I guess this is a proxy for condition, but inspection (hairlines, case edges) should tell you a lot. On the other hand, more use can sometimes be better (depending on the watch) - eg, in an automatic, if the lubricants are distributed through regular (though not necessarily often) use. You don't usually want that automatic being hand or winder wound (again, depends on the watch).

3. I am the first owner (but of course the receipt is never kept)

People keep the sales receipt?

4. Not sure about the accuracy 'cos never monitor (hmm...)

I used to be quite into checking timing performance, but not any more. Not really worth bothering for watches without seconds hands (eg, AP QP, La Tradition) and even subseconds are not so easy for some models (depending on the power train to the seconds arbor). Sweep seconds are the easiest, but I've only ever done it with the ALS RL. Don't do it with the 5053 (non-hacking). None of those will beat quartz consistently over multiple positions...

5. Selling 'cos too many watches (I belive this is the genuine reason why most people incl myself, sell their watch)

Definitely.

Comment

1. missing box is possible. can also be that the climate degraded the box
        2. doesnt bother me, i let the condition speak for themselves
        3. i try to keep sales receipt; but how long do you expect me to keep this up? after awhile during spring clean you will throw away a box of files. let me share with you, recently i cleaned out my room. i threw away one pallet of stuff (just from my room). when i took my stuff for verge collection, the collector was very pissed with me
        4. sometimes we are too busy, so never check. acceptable excuse
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

as for sales receipt, even if i have. i wont provide. simple reason is that it will show my residence address by AD. im not comfortable letting stranger know where i stay. if the receipt does not show my address, i would give.

as for accuracy, i believe that there is a +-. i agree that there should be some form of accuracy for such time piece. i wont be too particular if it is couple of minutes off. im not that anal. if i want to be precise, i would use an atomic clock or quartz.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

You keep receipt seperately with box/cert? Or file away in a file?

Currently all major purchase (ie. >$500 and with warranty period) I keep in file, but with the amount of stuff I buy, currently taking up one whole filing cabinet (four draws)
            Blue 6694
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Like bro triton , i won't give the receipt with my info on it .
              But usually i don't keep the receipt when i buy watch .
              It's kind of funny to ask someone for receipt when buying a used watch , at least for me i won't ask for it .
              If in doubt i will always deal in service center, a receipt won't tell you anything except that where and when the watch was purchase and the price . Most info can be found on the warranty card anyway .
              Focal JM_Labs .
              "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
              Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
              Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
              Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
              Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
              Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
              Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
              Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
              Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
              Cartier Santos 100XL
              Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

Depends on who is selling i guess, some people dont care, and will give receipt to show it was brand new when purchased etc. I bought one piece locally in perth, and it came with receipt because the previous owner couldnt care less.
                Blue 6694
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

I don't bother with what seller says... trust your own judgement... if not, sent it to a technican to check... if not, buy BNIB from AD...

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                    I don't bother with what seller says... trust your own judgement... if not, sent it to a technican to check... if not, buy BNIB from AD...
                    nicely said. like i always say, take everything with a pinch of salt
                    Blue 6694
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Regarding the receipt...I realise the way I wrote in my first post give people the impression that I expect to have the receipt when I buy a preowned watch. That's not the case. I do understand almost all preowned watches are sold without receipt, and that has been an acceptable practice. What I was trying to imply is that, due to that watches are almost never sold with the receipt, there is no way to know if someone is really the first owner.

I guess for most of us, it does not matter if the seller is the first owner or not, but somehow some sellers have the idea that the watch they sell will be more desirable if they pretend to be the first owner. I personally have such experience when I bought a watch recently - coincidently I knew that the buyer bought the watch from another forumer, which he admitted to me later. Not a problem for me, I still bought the watch, but just find it strange that people want to lie about this.

Again, I am NOT saying the FTS by buyers are always lies...

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                        Agree...that's very much my approach too.

I started this thread just to create a topic to kopi talk, hehe.

Comment

I always tell my potential buyers if you buy my things will win TOTO... come come buy my handphone lah!!!

http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php...ealed-Unopened)

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                          Agree...that's very much my approach too.

I started this thread just to create a topic to kopi talk, hehe.

Comment

Technically I have never kept the receipt for watches. Usually if anything happens and needs to be returned or something, my AD would have the records anyway. Plus the receipt will not only have personal info but also the name of the sales consultant, so if he/she gave you a previlleged price, you may not want to openly flaunt it.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X