National swimming coach blames traffic jam for registration screw up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National swimming coach blames traffic jam for registration screw up

NEW DELHI - THE Singapore men's 4x200m freestyle relay team suffered the embarrassment of being disqualified from their final yesterday without even hitting the pool - all because they had failed to submit their entry for the final on time.

The team of Teo Zhen Ren, Jeremy Kevin Mathews, Arren Quek and Mattias Ng had clocked 7min 47.19sec in their heat in the morning to qualify for the final as the seventh-fastest team.

However, the quartet's joy subsequently turned into anxiety and later disappointment when they missed the 3pm deadline for submitting their entry for the final. The bus ferrying the squad had arrived at the venue only at 3.45pm due to traffic delays.

Team manager and head coach Ang Peng Siong said in a statement issued by Team Singapore: 'It usually takes us about 20 to 30 minutes to reach the Dr S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Complex. Today, it took us about an hour to reach the swimming complex.'

The final was at 6pm, but the squad had left at 2.45pm so that 'the team would not have to wait at the venue for too long before their event', said Ang.

He added: 'We lodged an appeal with the competitions manager, which was signed by all the head coaches of the other teams in the final, but we were not successful.'

Folks, you think this is acceptable?

That going to be hurting since it reach final, but no excuse for that!!!

Comment

Sack Uncle Siong ??? just like they ask Table Tennis coach LIU to leave.
      劳心者治人, 劳力者治于人。 治人者食人, 治与人者食与人。

善恶之报,如影随形。福祸无门,唯人自招!

Comment

I got a question.

Takes 20-30 minutes to reach. And he said they left at 2:45pm. Deadline is 3pm to submit.

Question is. ni the best case scenario, they could only reach at 3:05pm right? which is still after deadline, NO?
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I guess they didn't expect the India organiser to be so on-the-ball...
          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
            I got a question.

Takes 20-30 minutes to reach. And he said they left at 2:45pm. Deadline is 3pm to submit.

Question is. ni the best case scenario, they could only reach at 3:05pm right? which is still after deadline, NO?
            I guess this is what everyone is asking.
            If they had left at 2.15pm or even 2.30pm, still can use traffic jam as excuse.
            My Small Collection :
            GMT II 16710 Coke U series
            JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
            Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
            Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
            Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
            PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
            BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

erm..cannot understand how come cannot leave the hotel at 2pm...at least got enuff time in case anything crop up along the way...and btw the country is very notorious for massive traffic jams....

They do not check out the country road culture before going there? Kinda of a lame excuse to blame on the traffic to me...
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Maybe they didnt know the cows got full time right of way
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                  erm..cannot understand how come cannot leave the hotel at 2pm...at least got enuff time in case anything crop up along the way...and btw the country is very notorious for massive traffic jams....

They do not check out the country road culture before going there? Kinda of a lame excuse to blame on the traffic to me...
                  They probably tht will have the "Give way to athletes OR tio Fine jia lak jia lak" sign at the side of the road
                  I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Hahahaha..sound kinda of familiar leh...with the commonwealth game logo in 1 of the lane???hahahahaha
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Can make them pay for their expense ? What excuse it this!!!

Comment

But for s'poreans it should be no excuse. Afterall, majority of guys have experienced 2yrs of strict discipline. At last check, army privates were taught to handle time effectively.

I have to admit, my timing is so-so only, and occasionally, i will be late; but to be late by 45mins++ really isnt an excuse.
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Why can't they go at 2pm or 215pm??? Why 245pm? As mentioned it take 20 - 30 mins to reach.. go before 230pm la, wat excuses is tat??
                          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

cannot forgive!
                            ......they totally don't have such risk management sense, why need to wait until last minute....maybe next time he should go more early.......before office hour!?...kia-su mah..hahaha..
                            My collection:
                            AP Novelty Rose Gold , AP ROO Rubber Clad Rose Gold
                            PAM424 California dial 47mm
                            Rolex 6694 , Rolex DSSD

Comment

its abit too harsh also lah..anyway whats the big deal?the organisers should exercise some flexibility to allow s'pore or be it other countries to compete as an act of good faith n good will..afterall,delhi is not an ideal city to play host to the games with many issues ranging from security,safety,hygiene n traffic.they should b grateful many countries are taking part.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X