Help!? Paypal vs Bank Transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!? Paypal vs Bank Transfer?

I am thinking of acquiring a watch from overseas. Currency is USD.
    And I am deciding between making payment via paypal and via bank transfer.
    Specifically, my concern is the exchange rate charged by paypal vs the exchange rate charged by the banks.
    Any kind soul out there can tell me which method is less damaging?
    TIA!

Ender
    "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
    three times is enemy action and
    over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
    ."

i find that both are equally damaging.

however, i would suggest paypal. if there is a fraud, there is a slim chance of recovery. however with bank transfer, once through. even with fraud, abit hard to retrieve
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

There are pros and cons to this...

Paypal is definately safer...

But it would depend on the credit card that is linked to your paypal account...the currency conversion, that is.

Malaysian banks' credit cards have got better forex rates...eg - Maybank & CIMB. Citibank & Standard Chartered have the worst rates....but maybe that is just me.

And since it is paid by your credit card, you have a month+- to settle the bill.

The one downside is, there is a paypal fee to be borne, by either party...which would be between 2.4-3.9%....with sellers normally asking +3%.

So unless it is a reputable seller, stick with paypal...

Just my 2 cents...Good Luck!
      [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Paypal. I think both will have similar currency exchange rates as it still depends on your credit cards.

Comment

paypal have better security measures and practices in term of refunding/disputes. they will refund you if you did not get your goods.

bank? they will not even bother since its your fault.

exchange rate? paypal seems to be on the market rate while bank are slightly higher.

Comment

Unless you know the seller well and trust the seller.
            I vote paypal. Premium for some protection.

Unless the watch cannot be had locally.
            Safer to go local.
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

The buyer protection only applies when using in conjunction with ebay? Or even private deals.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

thanks guys for the feedbacks!

ender
                "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                three times is enemy action and
                over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                ."

Comment

I had been using paypal for all my overseas purchases after been cheated (the seller sent a replica) using TT when I first picked up this hobby many years back ...
                  运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                    I am thinking of acquiring a watch from overseas. Currency is USD.
                    And I am deciding between making payment via paypal and via bank transfer.
                    Specifically, my concern is the exchange rate charged by paypal vs the exchange rate charged by the banks.
                    Any kind soul out there can tell me which method is less damaging?
                    TIA!

Ender
                    I remembered back in end July I paid using cc to an overseas merchant and the bank charged the USD-SGD rate at abt 1.39 (the spot rate then was abt 1.36+).

I did a quick check on my paypal account and the conversion rate quoted today is abt 1.35 (spot rate in recent days had fallen to below 1.32)

Comment

Though there is some protections in Paypal, we still cannot negate the risk of buying things that we never hold it in our hands before paying.

Comment

To qualify for PayPal buyer's protections, one of the conditions is it has to be used in conjunction with eBay listings.

As far as rate goes, bank transfer can be good for amount above 2000USD. Remember, you will be charged 25-35SGD just to initiate the telegraphic transfer. PayPal will eat up about 4% on the seller's side so he may pass the extra charges to you.

Usually bank transfer offers you better exchange rate than PayPal.

Comment

Paypal. just because it is safer in the event you are cheated.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X