Cheat used credit card to buy ROLEX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheat used credit card to buy ROLEX

Today's article in the Straits Times, pg B6 (September 18, 2010)

When another person's credit card arrived in his letter box by mistake, Fabian Michael Chiu Toh Hui used it to buy a pair of ROLEX watches costing $12,000, instead of reporting the matter.

Yesterday, the 48-year-old was sentenced to four weeks' jail for cheating. The unemployed man, who is an undischarged bankrupt, is out on $15,000 bail pending his appeal against the sentence.

Chiu pleaded guilty last month to deceiving a staff member at Lucky Watch Palace in People's Park Complex into believing that he was the rightful owner of the OCBC Visa credit card presented by his girlfriend for the watches in April 2008. The card, however, belonged to a Mr Liby Thomas.

A second charge of misappropriating the credit card was taken into consideration.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Magdalene Huang had told the court that Mr Thomas, then 35, had applied for the OCBC Platinum card in April that year but never received it. Instead, the credit card was inadvertently sent to Chiu's unit within the same complex in Grange Road.

She said that on April 23, Chiu and his girlfriend went to the establishment in Park Road to buy a pair of ROLEX watches costing $12,000. The girlfriend took the credit card from Chiu's wallet to make payment for the items. Chiu signed Mr Thomas' name on the charge slip.

The watches have since been recovered.

Arguing for a jail term, DPP Huang said it did not matter how Chiu had come into possession of the card. "Such offences relating to credit cards, whether they are stolen or misappropriated, offend the integrity of the financial system in Singapore," she said.

Chiu's lawyer Yoga Sharmini had asked for a fine, saying her client was remorseful and suffering from adjustment disorder. She said the divorcee lost his job in 2005, and subsequently could not service his housing loan and was made bankrupt.

Chiu could have been jailed for up to three years and/or fined for cheating.

The Crown Of Achievement

how he managed to pay the 15k for the bail? another CC?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Today's article in the Straits Times, pg B6 (September 18, 2010)

The watches have since been recovered
      Might be a stupid question but still curious to know, the watches have been recovered then how would they do with the watches?

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
        how he managed to pay the 15k for the bail? another CC?
        Bail no need use cash. Another ID card (S'porean) can already. Something like a guarantor.

Originally posted by crazybay View Post
        Might be a stupid question but still curious to know, the watches have been recovered then how would they do with the watches?
        For such a case, as the watches are 'stolen goods', they become 'case exhibits', and the Police will have custody of them throughout the investigation, including court proceedings. Once the case is concluded, the Police will have to apply for a Court order to return the watches (case exhibits) to the rightful owner, and in this case, the watch shop.

Things will become a little complicated if there are two or more claimants. For example, if the fellow pawned the watches at a pawn shop, then the pawn shop becomes the second victim, right?

Ok, I shall stop here, or I'll have to charge you money..
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

For such a case, as the watches are 'stolen goods', they become 'case exhibits', and the Police will have custody of them throughout the investigation, including court proceedings. Once the case is concluded, the Police will have to apply for a Court order to return the watches (case exhibits) to the rightful owner, and in this case, the watch shop.

Things will become a little complicated if there are two or more claimants. For example, if the fellow pawned the watches at a pawn shop, then the pawn shop becomes the second victim, right?

Ok, I shall stop here, or I'll have to charge you money..
          So that mean after the case closed the watches will be return to the watch shop and the watch shop gotta refund $12000 back to OCBC?

Got no money leh, can i apply for legal aid?

Comment

Something like that. And yes, you may apply for legal aid if you meet the criteria..
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Something like that. And yes, you may apply for legal aid if you meet the criteria..
              Thanks, learn something today. I'll apply for one soon cos there r a lot of things that i don't know and need to ask.

Comment

No prob. Not an expert but will help if I can .
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by crazybay View Post
                  The real Liby Thomas will join sg-roc with his 2 new watches
                  Opportunities come once

Comment

hard to believe that the SA didnt verify the CC prior to handing over the watch. All this would be avoided if the SA was more alert.

I'm not taking sides here, marely looking at the incident from another angle
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

This Case reminds me of Ris Low. When the temptation is dangled in front of one's eyes, some people will fall for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mille View Post
                        hahaha...wondering what models he bought.

Comment

Two ROLEX (presumably new) watches for $12,000. So what do you think are these models?
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Mille View Post
                            Then post in the Rolex garage for sale to recoup back $12000?

Comment

Bro, why not? The credit card was sent to Fabian Michael Chiu Toh Hui's letter box by mistake. The credit card was not signed on the back when he recieved it. He could have just anyhow signed on the card and used it. I believe the SA just verified the signature on the card since the bank has given an approval code for the transaction... Bro, Singaporeans don't like to be asked for IDs whenever they use their credit cards... Can't blame the SA on this case...

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              hard to believe that the SA didnt verify the CC prior to handing over the watch. All this would be avoided if the SA was more alert.

I'm not taking sides here, marely looking at the incident from another angle

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X