No announcement yet.

Discussion on Rolex Serviced Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wonder how come the S.S will corrode so badly when simply just wearing on the wrist and see no water actions at all...curious....
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

the case back where the thread screw are, usually get hit first. then they call it pitted or something. it is like one dot one dot.

sometimes we perspire we dont know if it gets to the edge of perimeter of case. it can stay there, through the years, bit by bit.

sometimes we wash hands. usually with watch on wrist. so there is possibility of water getting between case back and hand. same as previous scenario.

this is one of the possible ways.

also im not sure if through the years, steel will also lose its original 'state'. thus making it possible for this to happen.

i have seen nurses drying the surgical steel equipment. not sure if they are advise to because of possible rust.

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
      i wonder how come the S.S will corrode so badly when simply just wearing on the wrist and see no water actions at all...curious....
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

as far as i know 316L or 904L have excellent anti rusting properties...so i wonder how come the case will pit or develop rust...

Sorry for asking so many questions as i m new to the rolex scene....

P.S: See my siggie and u know
        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
          as far as i know 316L or 904L have excellent anti rusting properties...so i wonder how come the case will pit or develop rust...
          dont quote me on this, but i believe whilst the s-steel has anti rust properties, its due to the elements, and our perspire that causes the steel to rust over time. i maintain that cleaning the watch regularly will reduce this problem.

As for whether its worth to go to RSC or not, ultimately the price we pay at RSC we assume that they are well versed in their watches, and ease of parts accessibility. By cutting corners outside, we risk that technicians may not be able to get full access to parts, and or, refurbished parts (potentially) can be used.

As for going to outside technicians, yes, i have done that, and knowing the technician personally, i feel comfortable with servicing. end of the day, it boils down to how comfortable you are to leave your watch in the hands of the technicians.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Rsc will normally ask to replace mid-case for a vintage watch, says corrosion lah, case eaten la. if you reject, they won't have it water-proof if you insist to have it service..
            especially if you bring in an unpolished but a few dents or scratches here and there.. that's what I've encountered... Have one of my vintage in without visible corrosion between case/ case back. just a few dents outside as what a vintage should be... suckers... they just want us to have a new look.. knn..

To me I woundn't mind not water-proof for a vintage watch, I won't swim or dive with it..
            DRSD-1665 mk4
            SD-16660 matte mk1
            Sub-1680 red mk6
            Sub-5513 matte/ meter first
            Exp2-16570
            Date Just-116234 MOP
            MS no date-67480

Comment

Ya lar, why we so like that one

Originally posted by edimars View Post
              Rsc will normally ask to replace mid-case for a vintage watch, says corrosion lah, case eaten la. if you reject, they won't have it water-proof if you insist to have it service..
              especially if you bring in an unpolished but a few dents or scratches here and there.. that's what I've encountered... Have one of my vintage in without visible corrosion between case/ case back. just a few dents outside as what a vintage should be... suckers... they just want us to have a new look.. knn..

To me I woundn't mind not water-proof for a vintage watch, I won't swim or dive with it..
              Yeap, I couldn't agree more.
              Many authorized service ctr from all watch brands are recommending unnecessary service & replacement.

I have a 52yr old watch that I have personally bring to service ctr in NY, Tokyo, HK & SG last yr & this yr.

All of them said e same exact thing: got pitting, corrosion lar, holes here & these, got leak lar. Water can enter lar.
              Oil can interact will oil to cogulate with grime & dust to destroy e mvmt lar.
              They say need to full service lar...change bezel, dial, hands & crown...e list can go on forever that u might thinking why not just buy another watch.

And when u get e quotation, u will be crazy to pay without 1st double checking with other watch repair ctr.

The service ctrs always use e same scare technique by saying they will not fully cover e watch after service if u decided not to follow their technician recommendations to change e pinion, escapement, stem, crown, hub, gasket, seals, case & case back to convince u to leave ur watch for 5 - 6 weeks.

It's an SOP that all watch brand service ctrs adhere to; be kiasu & kiasi & change eberything that is suspect.

Try bringing any new-old-stock tat's out of warranty watch to any authorized service ctr worldwide and let them open it and they will tell u e same thing.
              Need service, need to polish, need new lube lar, need to change this gasket & that seal lar...I can almost sure they will say this even b4 I step into one.

They just wanna earn $ lar & most of time, I dun blame em for being kiasu as they oso wanna cover their backside in case u blame em for any breakage, damage, leakage after service.

I bring to e same half century old watch without any service or modification or repair to WatchKlinik @TangLin Mall & they certified is still 100m resistant, all 100% sui sui inside & no need to service.
              I practically got chased out.

I seek 3rd opinion in JW and oso got e same advice.

I think I will always seek 2nd opinion & even 3rd opinion whenever someone open their mouth & say e word, "service"...

U knoe, long long ago, when e watch mvmt, case & crown design are even poorer & has less resistance to wear & tear, our parents & grandparents dun even service their watches.

Some old folks will only think bout service when e crown got stucked with all e solidified grime & dust from their wrist, or when e watch completely died or when e watch is slower/faster by 19min per day, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                For vintage watches, say over 20 years, they will always state that cos they can't guarantee for such watches.

For example, I brought in an old Red sub. Even though they changed gasket and did all the test, they still state that in the receipt. Just in case people really go diving to 200m with the watch and claim warranty! Then they dont hae he original parts to repay. It's almost like a disclaimer. Of course no one will really dive with a vintage.

If you send in a DSSD for service, then they won't state this. Actually, I only know Singapore RSC states this.
                Actually this is common for all vintage watches (i.e. no guarantee water proof after servicing/changing gasket). That is because water may get in not just thru the back case but also possible gap at other areas especially the crown(s) which may no longer be water-tight due to wear & tear.
                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I guess one of the reason why they resist the water proof especially on vintage with plastic crystal if you insist not to replace the mid case is that the sealing face between crystal and case is plastic to steel without gasket unlike shapphire crystals..
                  What I will do is let rsc do the movement service replace the crown/tube and crystal, have the watch pressure tested by third party watch maker to get a peace of mind
                  DRSD-1665 mk4
                  SD-16660 matte mk1
                  Sub-1680 red mk6
                  Sub-5513 matte/ meter first
                  Exp2-16570
                  Date Just-116234 MOP
                  MS no date-67480

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                    this 1501 was just picked up after spending close to 3 weeks in RSC.

look @ the price.
                    Can ask for quotation first before deciding whether to send it in?
                    It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
                    Aristotle Onassis

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
                    Nido Qubein

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
                    Jimmy Dean

Comment

I guess the 700 bucks portion is fixed but I don't see where the 160SGD comes from. Furthermore, why don't they show itemised billing on the invoice (this will show what kind of work and what parts are changed)?

Comment

yes. there is usually an estimated service quote.

it was reduced from ~1200 down to ~800. however it is still an estimate. sometimes can be more. sometimes can be less

Originally posted by blingking View Post
                        Can ask for quotation first before deciding whether to send it in?
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

if they show itemized billing, customers can bring to outside technician to get parts price. then they will know how much they charging. in the past, they do issue itemized billing.

Originally posted by Wenda View Post
                          Furthermore, why don't they show itemised billing on the invoice (this will show what kind of work and what parts are changed)?

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X