Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When luxury brands outsource, should they tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When luxury brands outsource, should they tell?

Read an interesting article, so like to share..

Italy's Parliament has passed a law that imposes, among other things, the requirement that Italian manufacturers be able to prove that their products were primarily made in Italy and, if any part of the work was carried out elsewhere, a traceable location must be shown.

The ruling, which takes effect next month, would make Italy arguably the first country to regulate the "Made in xxx" label. It could not have some sooner for some Italian clothing manufacturers who have complained that, for the last decade, they have been at the mercy of fellow designers buying cheaper fabric in China, Bulgaria and elsewhere and slapping on "Made in Italy" labels - even when those garments are merely sewn in Italy.

By definition, any behaviour within the marketing function that is illegal or morally unacceptable to the larger community is deemed unethical marketing behaviour. Such behaviour has been associated with publicly reported practices such as Dow Corning's release of potentially harmful silicon breast implants and Nike's reported use of sweat-shop labour.

With the proliferation of global outsourcing of global brands, another type of unethical behaviour appears to have emerged.

The potential cost savings and revenue advantages derived from outsourcing have enticed even the luxury fashion business into the act. The outsourcing of fabrics in the case of the Italian clothing designers is one such example. It has been reported that many luxury brand items are now made on assembly lines in developing nations, such as China, where labour is vastly cheaper.

These outsourced products, however, continue to be sold at very high prices because their "marketing executives played up the companies' heritage and claimed that the items were still made in Europe by hand", says fashion correspondent and author Dana Thomas in her best-selling book, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster.

Such companies get away with it by hiding the "Made in China" label "in the bottom of an inside pocket or stamped black on black on the back side of a tiny logo flap", she adds. "Some bypass the 'provenance' laws requiring labels that tell where goods are made by having 90 per cent of the bag, garment or shoes made in China, and then attaching the final bits - the handle, the bottons - in Italy, thus earning a 'Made in Italy' label".

"Or some just replace the original label with one stating it was made in Western Europe."

Congruence Theory postulates that individuals tend to be more responsive to people and messages that are consistent with their own beliefs and attitudes.

In considering the outsourcing option, luxury brand marketers need to consider this: Do consumers consider as unethical the practice of outsourcing of luxury brands while marketing them at a premium as handmade by artisans? Is it worthwhile to engage in global outsourcing while keeping consumers in the dark about such a practice?

Research has found that if corporate actions are perceived as unethical, the company stands to lose favour with even its most committed customers. In the long run, ethical judgments can lead consumers to accept or reject a company's business activities entirely.

As outsourcing becomes a global phenomenon with unabated growth, it becomes imperative that luxury brand marketers confront these issues.

With the further influx of luxury brands making their way to major new shopping malls that have sprung up in Singapore over the past year, shouldn't consumers know whether they are getting the "Made in xxx" value that they are paying a premium for?

- The writer, Tan Soo Jiuan, is an associate professor at the Department of Marketing, NUS Business School.
    The Crown Of Achievement

im ok as long as there is no compromise in quality. it does not matter which country it is made.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

But most often than not, the quality is somehow compromised in a way or another. I came across few such cases. Citing one, a relative of mine used to drive a toyota camry (japan-direct) for many years. Just last two years ago, he traded his old camry for a brand new camry (thailand-assemble), and just weeks of driving, he started to complain about the quality and build of the car. He still felt that the "jap-camry" is much better and more comfortable than the "thai-camry".
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

my company Thailand camry is 1 of the 1st batch de....doing well after 6 years....so far no issues at all and the car is really fuel saving....for a 6 years 2.0 car....1litre can average about 10km.....full tank can go til 620km.....so not much diff from the japan made camrys....have both versions in the company i work in...
        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

they should learn from american now. almost everything made in china.

high end or low end. from gadgets to clothing and they don't hide.
          people still buy because there is quality control.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
            my company Thailand camry is 1 of the 1st batch de....doing well after 6 years....so far no issues at all and the car is really fuel saving....for a 6 years 2.0 car....1litre can average about 10km.....full tank can go til 620km.....so not much diff from the japan made camrys....have both versions in the company i work in...
            thats not bad mileage.

does your company gives free car?

envy of that one that gives free with all expenses paid by company...
            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
              I'm just citing an example and of course, not all products are inferior. Some good; some bad, but it is the mindset at play. Imagine this: What do you think will happen when one day, ROLEX announced it officially that they will be sending their watches to China; maybe Thailand, to be part-assembled there?

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                I'm just citing an example and of course, not all products are inferior. Some good; some bad, but it is the mindset at play. Imagine this: What do you think will happen when one day, ROLEX announced it officially that they will be sending their watches to China; maybe Thailand, to be part-assembled there?

then i will buy only the older batches from swiss.

Comment

yup...the car is company paid for including the petrol.....that is y my Boss always pick those car brands that is fuel saving de....

P.S: Pay is low lar...just that in my industry without a car you be heading no where and getting nothing done at all...car is a must....

But Boss kind to me lar...see me poor man so let me have 1 lor....always grazing grass opp my office building til the place gonna to be botak soon....

Sorry for the OT....Back to topic...

For me i dun mind where the item is gonna to be assembled in as LONG AS it is up to the brand high standard and if it is a ROLEX....i expect nothing less than 1st class quality....
                  Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

not sure i will buy a Rolex Swiss Made watch with >50% parts from China.

I don't mind buying nike/clarks/addidas made in Vietnam/chin/bangalesh....

if they assembled the watch in china, will definitely wont buy,,,,, (IF I KNOW)

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                      Imagine this: What do you think will happen when one day, ROLEX announced it officially that they will be sending their watches to China; maybe Thailand, to be part-assembled there?

I will quickly dump my Rolexes!!!
                      Current
                      ------------
                      SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
                      SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
                      SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                        then i will buy only the older batches from swiss.
                        Originally posted by commoner View Post
                        not sure i will buy a Rolex Swiss Made watch with >50% parts from China.

I don't mind buying nike/clarks/addidas made in Vietnam/chin/bangalesh....

if they assembled the watch in china, will definitely wont buy,,,,, (IF I KNOW)
                        Originally posted by hypersocial View Post
                        I will quickly dump my Rolexes!!!
                        See what I mean!
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I will keep my rolex since there is a chance based on the above post that many will dump the china made versions or even search for the originally swiss made versions.

Then my swiss version might appreciate in price.
                          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

since all made in other places, swiss made may be collectible.

i will then keep my rolex. cause they are more unique.

Originally posted by exxondus View Post

Then my swiss version might appreciate in price.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

There is no 100% japan made car or Swiss made watch. Does the steel that make the bolts and nuts come from Japan or Swiss? Does the rubber not come from Malaysia or Argentina?

In today's world, all raw materials come from all over the world. Who is to say that the screws in the watches or cars are not manufactured OEM elsewhere.

IPADs and IPHONES are made in Shenzhen at Foxconn, aren't they selling like hot cakes.

All Assembled rolex watches come out from their Geneva HQ and I believe that there is enough QC to ensure whatever elsewhere made parts are all high quality. Same for VW cars from Germany or SA.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X