Homage watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homage watch

Can someone explain what is homage watch? Is it fake? So far I saw rolex homage watch. It is almost as identical as real watch except without logos etc. How come the price is so much different?

i think a homage watch is sort of like a tribute to a certain iconic watch, to celebrate it's success and innovation in the watch world.

many watches have seen homages eg. Omega SM300, the "pilot" watches, Panerai's, Rolex's Subs and many many more.

to me a true homage creation, comes with heavy research on the watch's history, a study on the design attributes and also an investigation on how the watch has evolved through the times or through its 'life' since its inception. a homage should be completely researched and a brand new re-design handdrawn and conceptualized with computer aid such as 3D models and CAD. It should not be an exact copy but, should incorporate certain elements that show its relation or inspiration. many 'independent' or hobbyist watchmakers have done such homages with great success... providing an avenue for fans of the actual watch, a chance to own a watch that looks similar and has similar characteristics but is not a replica or copy. the homage watch cases / crystals, are usually manufactured by small companies in germany or other places i don't know about, and assembled by the creator with ETA movements (usually of the standard or elaboree grade, seldom fancy but some are decorated with Cote De Geneva stripes and blued screws) The watches are either unbranded / sterile dials or branded by the small companies that makes them. you can check out www.timefactors.co.uk for some homages that i think are quite nice, and not copied and have nice stories linking the homage and the actual watch. very interesting.

homage watches, from china are truly just copies / replicas that are unbranded. i don't think much thought has been put into creating those watches, with the exception of making money. I know because in the past I had bought and sold afew of these myself. theres nothing much to say about the china pieces other than the fact they can be bought cheaply and are a fun alternative to wear on rainy days or days where you expect your watch to get bumped. hehe.
    fallraen
    "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

Wah! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X