Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep your watch from humidity inside a safe

Hi All,

I have some questions which need your opinions and advices.

How do you keep your luxury watches from humidity inside a safe? I put my watches inside it's own box and placed them inside a safe. However, I always notice that there seems to be some 'mold' forming inside the box. No matter how I clean them regularly, it always come back. I think it's due to humidity as my brand new shoes are facing the same problems, even they are inside the shoe boxes. I am planning, to put all my watches into a watch box and to prevent the original watch boxes from being "molded". Meanwhile, I think all of us who own Rolex, know that Rolex boxes are always easily "attacked" by mold. Do you face the same problems? Any good ideas how to maximise the space inside the safe? As you are aware, the watch box may be too bulky and takes up alot of space. Thus I intend to place the watches inside the safe while preventing the boxes from being 'molded'.

Lastly, any good suggestion for a good watch box? I saw a forumer owns a Braun Buffel, but I did look for it from the retail shop, they do not have it.

Thanks for your help in advance. Really appreciate if you could share your views.

get a dry cabinet (the ones used for cameras and lenses) to store your watch boxes and leather straps...

Comment

Preventing Moisture

Hi there breitling77,

Firstly, check if your safe (and your shoe rack) is placed near plants. As you may know plants produce a lot of moisture in the air and contribute to what you’re experiencing now. Remove or re-position your plants then.

Secondly, is your safe near the shower/wash room or directly facing the air-con? Maybe moisture seems to collect on the colder surface of the safe. Remember, the safe is one big chunk of metal.

Well, if you have none of the above, then off-the-cuff I could think of 4 methods.

Method 1
      This is an old fashion but quite effective way. Put charcoal into a zip-lock plastic, punch a few small holes in it and place it where you want. The charcoal naturally absorbs the moisture and eliminates musky smells.

The alternative is to buy from Daiso small “Charcoal Pillows” to be placed in your safe.

Method 2
      I learnt this while staying overseas... using calcium chloride (salt). Through a natural process, salt condenses moisture out of the air. This is how they melt snow by the roadside. However, it will rust anything ferrous in nature. If your watches are stainless steel, no worries but how about the pins and springs?

Method 3
      You will need a small fan and a heater circuit which will pulse high current into a chain of resistors which will heat-up to about 0.5Watts.

The fan attached to the back of the safe will suck-up moisture with the hot-air.

Method 4
      You can build yourself an electronic moisture buster. You will need an ATX Power Supply, 3 pieces of Peltier modules, 3pc heatsinks, a small 12V fan, some small drilled holes in the safe and some electrical/electronic skills.

Attach the 3 pieces of Peltier modules to each heatsink and when powered will cool the heatsinks which in turn causes moisture to condense on the fins. A fan placed near the fins will blow moisture out of the safe.

Note: If you are keen on Method 3, I can design the circuit for you to build.

Cheers!
      Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
      • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
      • Montre de MarQue
      • Etoile D'Or
      • Hotel Indonesia
      • Glory Time
      • The Watch-Collector
      • Time Palace
      • The Swiss Connection
      • M Baker
      • Maurice Lacroix
      • Time Marques
      • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

I put my watch boxes in a dry cabinet together with my camera.

would have placed some silica gel in the watch boxes if I do not have a dry cabinet

Comment

Bro Ten10,

thanks for sharing . method 1 & 2 is simple and economy but I scare my watch get rusty so I ll go for Charcoal
          Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
          Future - Geneva hallmark
          Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
            Hi there breitling77,

Firstly, check if your safe (and your shoe rack) is placed near plants. As you may know plants produce a lot of moisture in the air and contribute to what you’re experiencing now. Remove or re-position your plants then.

Secondly, is your safe near the shower/wash room or directly facing the air-con? Maybe moisture seems to collect on the colder surface of the safe. Remember, the safe is one big chunk of metal.

Well, if you have none of the above, then off-the-cuff I could think of 4 methods.

Method 1
            This is an old fashion but quite effective way. Put charcoal into a zip-lock plastic, punch a few small holes in it and place it where you want. The charcoal naturally absorbs the moisture and eliminates musky smells.

The alternative is to buy from Daiso small “Charcoal Pillows” to be placed in your safe.

Method 2
            I learnt this while staying overseas... using calcium chloride (salt). Through a natural process, salt condenses moisture out of the air. This is how they melt snow by the roadside. However, it will rust anything ferrous in nature. If your watches are stainless steel, no worries but how about the pins and springs?

Method 3
            You will need a small fan and a heater circuit which will pulse high current into a chain of resistors which will heat-up to about 0.5Watts.

The fan attached to the back of the safe will suck-up moisture with the hot-air.

Method 4
            You can build yourself an electronic moisture buster. You will need an ATX Power Supply, 3 pieces of Peltier modules, 3pc heatsinks, a small 12V fan, some small drilled holes in the safe and some electrical/electronic skills.

Attach the 3 pieces of Peltier modules to each heatsink and when powered will cool the heatsinks which in turn causes moisture to condense on the fins. A fan placed near the fins will blow moisture out of the safe.

Cheers!

Thks for sharing. I'd been placing small satchets of silica gel in my watch boxes before placing them in safe. May try Method 1 soon.
            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

which reminds me, i better go daiso buy those charcoal pouches.

Thanks!
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
                Hi there breitling77,

Method 1

Method 2

Method 3

Method 4

Cheers!
                Wow! Thanks for your suggestions! I think I will try method 1. Thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by psee View Post
                  Thks for sharing. I'd been placing small satchets of silica gel in my watch boxes before placing them in safe. May try Method 1 soon.
                  As we learn to live, we oso live to learn lah! I'm oso here to learn what, right! You're most welcome...
                  Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
                  • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
                  • Montre de MarQue
                  • Etoile D'Or
                  • Hotel Indonesia
                  • Glory Time
                  • The Watch-Collector
                  • Time Palace
                  • The Swiss Connection
                  • M Baker
                  • Maurice Lacroix
                  • Time Marques
                  • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

Man these Ideas are great.... Thanks

Comment

i would recommend separate the papers, box and watch when storing.

why? out of these 3 items, the papers and watch are probably the most important out of the 3. also, optimizing space within safe. unless yours is those chest height, big ones.

store the watch in a cool dry area with silica gel inside. area near the box(es) put some silica gel as well.

store the papers/cards (exclude manual) in a folder. place the folder inside safe

wrap the watch with rolex cloth (other equivalent) and place them inside rolex pouch (other equivalent). place them inside safe.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

use large ziplock bag for the watch boxes with silica gel.
                        silica gel don't last long if not sealed. once they turned pink from blue, it means they absorbed moisture at capacity.

you can either heat the gel to get the moisture out. it will turn back to blue. or buy a new tub.

for the watch itself, no problem unless in storage for long periods.
                        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

These guys are good

Comment

wah this thread very informative. lots of stuff like charcoal, seperating the items to store, how to see a gel had reach capacity all here.

thanks everyone!
                            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X