S-league reject end up at World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-league reject end up at World Cup

SINGAPORE - He came last November with hopes of plying his trade in a league touted as one of Asia's top 10.

Playing in a closed-door trial match at the Jalan Besar Stadium with other foreign hopefuls, Jeremy Christie only had one shot at impressing representatives from the eight local S-League clubs. But not one coach or manager approached the New Zealander with an offer.

But he has got over that disappointment rather quickly.

Instead of facing the likes of Geylang United and Sengkang Punggol in the S-League, Christie played against Slovakia and Italy at the World Cup in South Africa, earning New Zealand's first World Cup points in the process.

The All Whites, as the New Zealand footballers are known, have already got two points in Group F following their 1-1 draws with the Slovaks and defending champion Italy.

Going into their final game against Paraguay on Thursday, New Zealand and their No 21 Christie are within reach of the second round.

Paul Cunningham, Balestier Khalsa's Kiwi defender, said: "We knew each other from New Zealand, and he's a top guy. We played a game here as triallists, and we got along really well. But no club picked him."

Currently with United States Soccer Federation's Division 2 side FC Tampa Bay, Christie was brought here for the Football Association of Singapore's centralised trials by Trebol Sports Management.

Said Trebol's sporting director Bryan Lim: "We were willing to forgo our commission to help get him into the S-League, but despite our efforts no club wanted him.

"He had to leave mid-way through the trials because Ricki Herbert (the Kiwi head coach) called him up to be on standby for the two-leg World Cup qualifiers against Bahrain."

Christie told Bolasepako.com last November: "I'd love to play in Singapore some day, as it's a nice place and the S-League is one of the top leagues in Asia."

But after having his S-League dreams dashed, one wonders if the New Zealander still feels the same.

http://www.todayonline.com/Hotnews/E...the-last-laugh
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

it like that 1, the stupid league mah

Comment

luckily no club picked him. otherwise his skills would hv deteriorated so badly in sillypore and italy would hv crushed the kiwis 15-0.
      Remnants of my irresponsibility:
      "Foreign affections"
      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
      2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
      3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
      4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
      What's NEXT?

Comment

I guess not just in football....but also in many other aspect.

Just because potential candidates did not meet the requirement / impress the "expert " / " professional panel " , than they are not consider good enough.

Perhaps time to review how these " expert " / " professional " panels are selected to gauge / test the potential candidates.
        My Small Collection :
        GMT II 16710 Coke U series
        JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
        Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
        Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
        Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
        PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
        BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

I heard somewhere that New Zealand only had less than 50 professional footballers in the country. The chances of them making it to the World Cup is quite high if collectively they are a good side. Don't know how true this information is. Maybe someone can clarify.

Maybe the money is better than what S-League players get.

Comment

Can we infer that the S-League has higher playing standard than United States Soccer Federation's Division 2?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X