Food for thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for thought

with trueno1983 recent experience with sinn and THG. thought i would like to share some of my watch buying experience.

some of you know that it takes me about 3 months before i purchase a watch. it is just one of those things to see if i really like the watch or not.

one of the many questions when you want to buy a watch. ask about the cost of servicing. the duration of servicing. serviced local or otherwise

recently i was eyeing on a watch. then i ask how much is the basic servicing cost. 1k minimum. duration? 3-6 months. i was like....wait awhile. let me think it thru.

now i recall one of my shifu told me why he always buy basic watch movement. now i know why he does that. can be serviced easily and can be done locally even without going to service centre. he does not buy complication watch. not even with date because he likes the clean look on the dial.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Same train of thought that prevents me from clearing a few pieces from my collection to get a more iconic piece.
    And much as I would love an iconic piece, I know I'll miss the cleared ones : (

Well, good thing I don't feel this way with women, haha!
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

sometimes, I get blinded when I like a particular watch. I only consider Servicing cost as I read somewhere that a Lange can cost up to 40k to service!! Its only due to recent advice by Unker Triton that I realise that theres more stuff to consider as well.

Servicing duration and whether local or overseas really kills a deal for me. Not to mention that sending stuff overseas carries a major risk no top of the cost and trouble involved. sigh..

Thanks for the advice!
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

servicing really don't play a part in my consideration of a watch.

probably need to service an automatic watch maybe 3-8 years after purchase/service. cost will probably be 10-20% of purchase price if bought at past 10 years. Service is expected to be a little expensive because it is a good watch.

it would worth the service costs if it is a daily beater or wearing it frequently or a special piece like vintage or sentimental.

anyway, i probably will not buy a watch just to admire her and be a safe queen. she will parade and expose as much as i can show her beauty.

to buy a nice watch and not to wear it as much as possible and pay to maintain a watch behind a glass,,,,,,,,,, not really my style

Comment

This is a good discussion point. I have never considered the servicing cost when buying a watch.

I recently had bad experience on a watch brand which I sent for battery change and their authorised service centre is one of the top boutique brand names in Singapore.

This bad experience will certainly make me think twice before considering a watch from the same brand again....in fact I am also not keen to buy the from boutique brand name anymore as well whenever I recall the bad serviing experience....

Comment

let me try to put something in perspective.

cost of daytona vs a lange 1.

daytona cost about 15k. servicing is probably 1-2k (~7%). lange 1 cost about 25k. servicing cost is 3-4k(12%)
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
            2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

I personally also factor in all the points that bro triton had recommended. very true, there are many things that we might overlook in the mist of buying of dream watch.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

forgot to add, rolex can be serviced locally. lange 1 if im not wrong need to send to germany. waiting time is another consideration.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

yes servicing is a consideration to me.

1K for service is already steep. 3-4K can buy another good quality watch.

lets say you buy a 1 year watch at 8k, servicing period 5 yrs and 1k.

and a same watch 5yrs old 7K, I will go for the 1 year watch as the difference on paper is 200 only and newer watch.

unless the purchase will not be worn and thus not serviced.
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

who is your shifu?? mine also said the same thing leh....

another thing my shifu said was also buy a watch with a second hand... unless it is a tourbillion lah...

besides servicing time... I think the availiability of parts is also very important... e.g. you can get rolex parts everywhere, but not PP...

Originally posted by triton View Post
                    with trueno1983 recent experience with sinn and THG. thought i would like to share some of my watch buying experience.

some of you know that it takes me about 3 months before i purchase a watch. it is just one of those things to see if i really like the watch or not.

one of the many questions when you want to buy a watch. ask about the cost of servicing. the duration of servicing. serviced local or otherwise

recently i was eyeing on a watch. then i ask how much is the basic servicing cost. 1k minimum. duration? 3-6 months. i was like....wait awhile. let me think it thru.

now i recall one of my shifu told me why he always buy basic watch movement. now i know why he does that. can be serviced easily and can be done locally even without going to service centre. he does not buy complication watch. not even with date because he likes the clean look on the dial.

Comment

Bro...

If need to think so much, dun need to buy any watch liao....

You know servicing for 6694s are so much, you still buy!!!

kekekeke
                      [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

i buy liao regret mah. now i want to sell my entire 5 piece 6694 with full box and papers for 20k. one for SAF stamp on it. Singapore history leh. think lelong price liao.

Originally posted by caeden View Post
                        Bro...

If need to think so much, dun need to buy any watch liao....

You know servicing for 6694s are so much, you still buy!!!

kekekeke

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and have a Pam and a IWC , will like to know is 5 years a general guide line to send your watch for servicing, what will happen if you did not do so if the watch still keeping good time. All the oil inside dry up.. haha?

Also heard people say that you better send in your watch for servicing before your warranty expired , so before warranty expire servicing is free?

thanks
                          regards

Comment

Originally posted by frank131 View Post
                            Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and have a Pam and a IWC , will like to know is 5 years a general guide line to send your watch for servicing, what will happen if you did not do so if the watch still keeping good time. All the oil inside dry up.. haha?

Also heard people say that you better send in your watch for servicing before your warranty expired , so before warranty expire servicing is free?

thanks
                            regards
                            If you bother to search here, the answers are everywhere. There's no general guide on the period for servicing. It depends on individual - how you wear your watches and what you believe in. I believe there's no free servicing whether you send in your watches before/after warranty period.
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                              If you bother to search here, the answers are everywhere. There's no general guide on the period for servicing. It depends on individual - how you wear your watches and what you believe in. I believe there's no free servicing whether you send in your watches before/after warranty period.
                              correcto! warranty does not mean free servicing

how I wished it included tho
                              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X