Yellow Gold vs White Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Gold vs White Gold

As the price for gold and silver hit all time high recently, I decided to check out the worth of my vintage gold and silver coins and in all I have about 400 coins, hence took 2 coins and ask around in Chinatown today. This coins are given to me by my grandfather and are from Nederland…the gold ones is about 7.9 grams and the silver 10 grams. Have a few quotes, the gold coin is between $395 to $405 and the silver is between $2.50 to $3.00.

Now, my question is between gold and silver there is a huge different in term of value. Just to take Rolex Daytona without diamonds for example, the 116509 18ct white gold retail at S$43,271 and on the other hand the 116528 18ct yellow gold retail at S$39,644…why is that so?

Maybe white gold is more popular than yellow gold???

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
      Maybe white gold is more popular than yellow gold???
      I think so too, but silver really worth nothing

Comment

White gold more expensive to produce because they add in other metals like platinum...thats as far as i know

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

not just in watches, it applies to jewelry as well. White gold is more expensive cos of other types of metal needed to make it "white". After which,it has to go thru Rodium plating to give it that perfect white shine. And Rodium is a precious metal and it cost many times more than gold.
          1 3 5
          ├┼┼╕
          2 4 6 R

Comment

I see, this explain why the cost for producing white gold is more costly then yellow gold, at least for second hand market Rolex white gold watches still commend very good price, however when come to white gold jewellery it's really worth nothing when you ask from pawn shop, some don't even want to buy in...out of the 5 shops that i asked all want to take in the gold coins, as for the silver coin only 2 shops willing to buy and on condition that i sell the gold coins together to them

Comment

Have you tired MoneyMax (by sookee) or Maxi-cash (by lee hwa)? They sell jewellery, now they open pawn shops, they should be willing to take in WG jewellery.....

Originally posted by SamGMT View Post
              I see, this explain why the cost for producing white gold is more costly then yellow gold, at least for second hand market Rolex white gold watches still commend very good price, however when come to white gold jewellery it's really worth nothing when you ask from pawn shop, some don't even want to buy in...out of the 5 shops that i asked all want to take in the gold coins, as for the silver coin only 2 shops willing to buy and on condition that i sell the gold coins together to them

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                Have you tired MoneyMax (by sookee) or Maxi-cash (by lee hwa)? They sell jewellery, now they open pawn shops, they should be willing to take in WG jewellery.....
                Came across this 2 shops but didn't go in and ask, they look pretty high class to me... maybe should try...

Comment

actually you are selling coins or gold?

if selling coins, whether the coin is of limited or rare.

if selling gold/silver, it all boils down (literally) to purity and weight.

if they are inheritance, polish them nice and and keep in a nice cabinet for your next generation. Tell your kids that PP is not for the next generation as the paper ad, but coins are

Comment

Came across this 2 shops but didn't go in and ask, they look pretty high class to me... maybe should try...
                    Sam, I wont bother with moneymax.
                    the prices they offer remind me of a 2nd hand watch shop with pretty salesgirls , i think the problem is they have high operating costs.. shops staff with uniforms, air con and carpet etc.

As for your query on white gold ,all the members are right, it is an expensive process to convert yellow gold to white gold.

anywhere, with the way inflation is moving up these days,can't go wrong collecting yellow or white gold watches cos they are only going to get more expensive each year.
                    My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                    1) WG DIA 18239
                    2) YG DIA 18238
                    3) WG 18239
                    4) YG 18238
                    5) YG 18248G Bark
                    6) WG DIA 18039
                    7) WG 18039
                    8) YG 18038
                    9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                    10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                    11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
                    12) WG 1803
                    13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
                    1)GMT II 116718 18K
                    2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
                    1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                    2)D15037 14k
                    3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

White Gold cost more cos of Rhodium.
                      "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Originally posted by commoner View Post
                        actually you are selling coins or gold?

if selling coins, whether the coin is of limited or rare.

if selling gold/silver, it all boils down (literally) to purity and weight.

if they are inheritance, polish them nice and and keep in a nice cabinet for your next generation. Tell your kids that PP is not for the next generation as the paper ad, but coins are
                        I checked with 1 vintage coins dealer/collector at level 3 Chinatown Point, he don't even want to take in, and said it's near to worthless for my silver coins, however he is more willing to take in the gold coins the highest compared to pawnshop....no time to polish...silver coins turn black very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
                          Sam, I wont bother with moneymax.
                          the prices they offer remind me of a 2nd hand watch shop with pretty salesgirls , i think the problem is they have high operating costs.. shops staff with uniforms, air con and carpet etc.

As for your query on white gold ,all the members are right, it is an expensive process to convert yellow gold to white gold.

anywhere, with the way inflation is moving up these days,can't go wrong collecting yellow or white gold watches cos they are only going to get more expensive each year.
                          that's the reason why i didn't want to step in....reminds me of PK

Comment

YG vs WG....

Don't compare them to Rolex as it's more like comparing Apples to Oranges.

YG and WG rolexes are sold as Rolex watches on it's own and gold price/value does not affect the resale value much. It will appreciate/depreciate accordingly to market. This is because you are not selling the gold on the watch on it's own.

WG as jewellery is not very well liked by gold dealers but they are well liked on the customer's end as it's trendy and goes well with diamonds in general.

I will say...for jewellery..buy something you like. If WG goes well with the stones or design...dun compromise. Ultimately if you are buying to invest alittle..best is still gold bars not that much of gold jewellery. Jewellery I feel is something that can be passed down through generations without maintainence like servicing as compared to watches but not the best investments.

I was contemplating when I bought my ring. If I bought the ring in YG, first it is easy to liquidate and makes pretty much sense buying it based on monetary value but it's gonna look abit odd for my age. On the other hand if I bought it in WG..it's not as liquid but I love the design, suitable for my age, I will wear it often...and that was the key to selecting it.

Have a mix..buy what you like that's most impt.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

I checked with 1 vintage coins dealer/collector at level 3 Chinatown Point, he don't even want to take in, and said it's near to worthless for my silver coins, however he is more willing to take in the gold coins the highest compared to pawnshop....no time to polish...silver coins turn black very easily.
                              Err... make sure coin has no numismatic value before you go polish, as amateur polishing will always lower the collectible value. If has numismatic value, as a collection may be more valuable than if you parcel it out one by one.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X