No announcement yet.

News- Local

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for people who go JB pump petrol .

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The government will ban people in foreign-registered vehicles from buying gasoline in border areas of Malaysia, where heavy subsidies have kept petroleum costs low despite soaring prices internationally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Abdul Samad said a day earlier that the ban was aimed at keeping foreigners from driving into Malaysia from Thailand and Singapore to fill up on cheap gasoline and diesel, which cost up to twice as much in the neighboring countries.

The ban was "a stern act by the government to reduce the leak in subsidy," national news agency Bernama quoted Shahrir as saying. His aide, who declined to be named citing protocol, confirmed his comments Tuesday.

The fuel subsidies, which were expected to cost the government 45 billion ringgit (US$14 billion; ?9 billion) this year, "should actually be enjoyed by the lower-income group in the country" and not foreigners, Shahrir said.

"This move is temporary until we come up with better management of our subsidy system," The Star daily quoted him as saying.

Shahrir said the ban could take effect as early as Friday at up to 300 stations within 30 miles (50 kilometers) of the borders with Thailand and Singapore.

Alang Zari Ishak, president of a local petroleum dealers association, said the ban may hurt tourism and relations with Malaysia's neighbors.

"It's a very harsh decision," he said. "There are other ways to curb this subsidy money being utilized."

Enforcement officers will monitor gasoline stations and signs will inform motorists of the new rule, Shahrir said. Those found breaking the rule could be fined or face up to three years in jail, said another official in Shahrir's ministry. He declined to be named, citing protocol.

Currently, foreign registered vehicles are allowed to buy only up to 5.3 gallons (20 liters), he said.

Although oil prices have soared globally, the government of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has not raised retail gasoline, diesel or gas prices.
    1675/16610/116234/78240
    Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
    Hublot BB ASF
    PAM 104J
    Sinn 903 H2
    Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
    U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
    If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

• Originally posted by marineguy8888 View Post
      Bad news for people who go JB pump petrol .
      indeed very bad news ....... Tho I wonder what happen for those foreign cars in m'sia as inland as KL/ipoh, does the subsidy kick in? Or must we pay full price?
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

• Originally posted by marineguy8888 View Post

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The government will ban people in foreign-registered vehicles from buying gasoline in border areas of Malaysia, where heavy subsidies have kept petroleum costs low despite soaring prices internationally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Abdul Samad said a day earlier that the ban was aimed at keeping foreigners from driving into Malaysia from Thailand and Singapore to fill up on cheap gasoline and diesel, which cost up to twice as much in the neighboring countries.

The ban was "a stern act by the government to reduce the leak in subsidy," national news agency Bernama quoted Shahrir as saying. His aide, who declined to be named citing protocol, confirmed his comments Tuesday.

The fuel subsidies, which were expected to cost the government 45 billion ringgit (US$14 billion; ?9 billion) this year, "should actually be enjoyed by the lower-income group in the country" and not foreigners, Shahrir said.

"This move is temporary until we come up with better management of our subsidy system," The Star daily quoted him as saying.

Shahrir said the ban could take effect as early as Friday at up to 300 stations within 30 miles (50 kilometers) of the borders with Thailand and Singapore.

Alang Zari Ishak, president of a local petroleum dealers association, said the ban may hurt tourism and relations with Malaysia's neighbors.

"It's a very harsh decision," he said. "There are other ways to curb this subsidy money being utilized."

Enforcement officers will monitor gasoline stations and signs will inform motorists of the new rule, Shahrir said. Those found breaking the rule could be fined or face up to three years in jail, said another official in Shahrir's ministry. He declined to be named, citing protocol.

Currently, foreign registered vehicles are allowed to buy only up to 5.3 gallons (20 liters), he said.

Although oil prices have soared globally, the government of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has not raised retail gasoline, diesel or gas prices.
        if only our sg gov subsidies

Comment

• Originally posted by pet View Post
          Ah Pet, tat won't happen la..not in this lifetime.hehe..I was wondering regarding the ban, wat if our car at north-south then not even 50km and our car has no more petrol how?? Take toll truck to toll at to an area which is within 50km then pump?? Haizz...
          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

• Originally posted by Nooch View Post
            Ah Pet, tat won't happen la..not in this lifetime.hehe..I was wondering regarding the ban, wat if our car at north-south then not even 50km and our car has no more petrol how?? Take toll truck to toll at to an area which is within 50km then pump?? Haizz...
            jia lark leh, go fishing, boat charter also up, also gasoline up

the my ban ... u can call me, i drv over frm sg with petrol jerry can to top up for u.... charge u cheap cheap.... 1 rolex watch nia... can on call me 24-7
            Last edited by pet; 27-05-08, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• there is a way to bypass........

Originally posted by marineguy8888 View Post
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Originally posted by pet View Post
                lu tang ku ku!! (you will long long)

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                not in anyone lifetime is s'pore going to subsidise your petrol. I think the toll car will simply sell you the petrol at the international price.
                Originally posted by pet View Post
                jia lark leh, go fishing, boat charter also up, also gasoline up

the my ban ... u can call me, i drv over frm sg with petrol jerry can to top up for u.... charge u cheap cheap.... 1 rolex watch nia... can on call me 24-7
                i think the shop will simply sell you at the market rate.

But at the end of the day, I think the ban will be useless, I mean, what is to stop singaporeans buying petrol, and switch tanks.
                Blue 6694
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                  there is a way to bypass........
                  Go there stop after checkpoint....change number plate

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Go there stop after checkpoint....change number plate
                    no need so troublesome, there sure got people who buy the petrol and sell illigally on the side. ie. buy 55ltrs from kiosk, and resell at higher price, but lower then market.

Alternatively, for those who have company(office) in JB, get the local malaysia staff to buy, and siphon out petrol to fill s'pore car ......... eitherway the incentive is there

But i thought that the petrol kiosk will make sure that the fuel is sold to m'sian IC holder??
                    Blue 6694
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

• Very sad news

Pls read this thread from another forum:http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...=1885132&pp=30

A 29 year old NTU civil engineering can't find job for 2 years after graduated. Only able to find a technician job one year ago and pay was very low. Study loan taken from bank can't pay up so jumped from hougang HDB flat and commited suicide.

I feel sorry for him. Very sad news. So do give your own Singaporeans a chance to perform. Even if they got no experience in the job if they are willing to learn is fine. You got to think about everyone starts with nothing when they first start to find job.
                      Last edited by teo; 03-06-08, 10:52 AM.
                      Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                      Rolex LV submariner
                      Rolex TT black submariner
                      Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                      Rolex Non date submariner
                      Rolex Explorer2
                      More...

Comment

• Merged threads....

Comment

• V sad news indeed.... Tinking abt issues such as Scholarship given to so many foreigners instead of sg'reans, inviting so many FT (Foreign 'Talents') coming in with lower pay demands and no need for NS....makes me wonder if the 'gahment' has to bear part of the responsibility...

Just look at this vicious cycle..

PSLE >> O lvls >> A lvls >> Uni (20-30k loans except for the rich) >> Work 3-4 years to repay the study loan >> 2 more years before you get married >> buy HDB and tie yourself to another 200-300k (25-30 yrs loan) >> Have kids and the next cycle starts >> Old but can't retire coz CPF inside also not that much coz of inflated HDB prices and total interest
                          A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

• Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                            V sad news indeed.... Tinking abt issues such as Scholarship given to so many foreigners instead of sg'reans, inviting so many FT (Foreign 'Talents') coming in with lower pay demands and no need for NS....makes me wonder if the 'gahment' has to bear part of the responsibility...

Just look at this vicious cycle..

PSLE >> O lvls >> A lvls >> Uni (20-30k loans except for the rich) >> Work 3-4 years to repay the study loan >> 2 more years before you get married >> buy HDB and tie yourself to another 200-300k (25-30 yrs loan) >> Have kids and the next cycle starts >> Old but can't retire coz CPF inside also not that much coz of inflated HDB prices and total interest
                            Vicious really vicious I have to say....

Of course..there is a way to break out of this cycle...

Comment

• DA care to share any ways to break out of it?lolz....
                              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I would say...the way to break out is to work for yourself. Freelancing,self empolyed, businessman...either way....you are more or less out of the cycle.

It's a gamble of course...some are merely surviving...some are making big bucks. The risk is there...the reward is there also.

Example. You are getting paid like 3-4k a month,salary is there if company is there and dun kick u out la. Won't go higher or lower because you slack for 1 day. You decide to quit. Say be a hawker. I say hawkers do earn a decent amount every month,but hard work,and probably better money,your food is gd and ppl like boom you are making big bucks.

Well the example I gave is just an example,in a "PERFECT" situation which nothing goes wrong that's how it works. ACtual situation will depend on circumstances. But of course some may feel my thinking maybe seen as naive...I duno.

1 thing I am sure isn't naive is.....Take a different step/approach out....and there you go..you maybe up there!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X