Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore is a First World economy with what is closer to a 3rd World wage structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore is a First World economy with what is closer to a 3rd World wage structure

World country, but not First World wages?

This article can be found published on 15/5/2010 Straits Times

By Sue-Ann Chia, Senior Political Correspondent

THE recession is over but bosses may not be heaving a sigh of relief. A new challenge is looming: rising wage bills.

From June, bosses will no longer enjoy any wage subsidy from the Jobs Credit scheme.

From July, they will have to fork out a higher levy for foreign workers, or pay more to hire local workers as the inflow of foreigners starts to slow.

From September, they will have to put in a higher contribution to their workers' Central Provident Fund (CPF) accounts.

And if that does not pack enough of a whammy, they also have to heed the national call to boost productivity and pay packages.

Poor employers, some would say, as they seem to be under attack on several fronts to raise wages.

But think of it the other way: Could it be payback time?

For years, companies have creamed off a larger share of economic gains - larger than those in other developed countries or industrialising economies in Asia.

As a result, workers get a slice of Singapore's gross domestic product (GDP) that is considered unusually small compared with their counterparts' share in those countries.

Workers' wages account for less than half of Singapore's GDP. In contrast, wages take up more than half of GDP in developed countries.

This means that Singapore may have achieved one of the highest per capita GDPs - at $51,656 last year - but the superlative showing may not reflect the wealth of workers or benefit them as much.

It has led some analysts to wonder if Singapore is a First World economy with what is closer to a Third World wage structure.

'Factually, our wage levels are much higher than Third World (economies'). Otherwise, so many foreign workers would not be flooding into Singapore,' notes economist Manu Bhaskaran from Centennial Asia Advisors.

'The problem is not our wage levels, which are reasonably high, but whether they are commensurate with our per capita GDP level.'

So are wage levels keeping pace with economic growth? Or is Singapore's low wage share of GDP an indication that workers have been losing out?

Higher profit share

THE issue of Singapore's low wage share has surfaced time and again.

In 2000, a paper by the Singapore Statistics Department highlighted this anomaly, noting that it could be due in part to conscious efforts by the Government to moderate wage increases and maintain high returns to investment largely from multinational companies.

The GDP is split three ways: One share is paid out in wages, another to companies as profits, and lastly, to the Government as taxes.

In 1980, the wage share was a low 38 per cent, climbing to a peak of 48 per cent in 1985, due to high wage policies during that high-growth period.

But recession hit in the mid-1980s, and the high wage policies were seen as adding to the severity of the situation as they eroded the profitability of companies.

Since then, the wage share has moderated to an average of 43 per cent to ensure a competitive wage structure.

It is, however, not on a par with that in other countries with similar GDP rates.

In 2000, Singapore's wage share was 42 per cent, lower than the United States' (58 per cent), Japan's (57 per cent) and France's (52 per cent), according to the paper by the Statistics Department.

In contrast, Singapore's profit share was 48 per cent, higher than these countries', which were closer to 35 per cent.

In fact, countries such as South Korea, New Zealand and Spain have a higher wage share than Singapore even though they have lower per capita GDP.

'These observations suggest that Singapore has First World per capita income but a Third World cost or productive structure,' the paper stated.

But it is not necessarily bad, the paper went on to explain, adding: 'As the economy matures, and wages and per capita income increase, the tendency is for the remuneration share of GDP to rise.'

Yet, a decade later, the wage share has not risen much. At last count, it was 44.9 per cent in 2008.

In March last year, economist Linda Lim said Singapore's economic growth model has tried to 'do too much, and achieved too little' in delivering returns for Singaporeans, relative to foreign firms and foreigners.

She cited the low wage share (41 per cent in 2007) and high share of profits, interest and dividends (more than 50 per cent). Foreign share of domestic production and income has also increased.

Similarly, a survey by Swiss bank UBS on prices and earnings last year showed a sobering picture for Singapore workers.

On a list of 73 cities, Singapore is the 24th most expensive city - moving up eight spots from the previous survey in 2006. It is costlier than Chicago, Hong Kong and Sydney.

But when it comes to wage levels, Singapore slipped two notches to 40th position. It is just one rung above Moscow, which is way down the 'expensive cities' list at No. 56 - or 32 places below Singapore.

With prices rising more than wages, Singapore workers cannot afford to buy as much as people in many other cities.

Purchasing power in Singapore declined 10 spots to 50th place, behind cities like Bratislava in Slovakia, Johannesburg in South Africa and Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.

While some observers question the accuracy of such comparative studies, one inescapable conclusion is that wage increases have not been on a par with economic growth.

What accounts for this phenomenon?

Link:- http://business.asiaone.com/Business...17-216611.html

no mah, got wage increase de. those MPs loh. tht they just increased that portion of their budget this year?

for us...WE DO NOT MATTER COS WE ARE DAFT & UNPRODUCITIVE! period.
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
      no mah, got wage increase de. those MPs loh. tht they just increased that portion of their budget this year?

for us...WE DO NOT MATTER COS WE ARE DAFT & UNPRODUCITIVE! period.
      AKA Dummies

Comment

A country with humble origins with just about 600,000 population during the 1960s, now meterphorposis into a 1st world country over the years thru the hard work n effort put in thru our ppl n leaders..

It is delighting to see such a great growth compared to the past..

BUT sadly to say this..The commoners pay remain stagnent.
        More sadly and ANGRY to say...WHo has got the highest n MOst high paid n well fed in SG?

The answer by now.. those who r highly intelligence n far sighted should know.. Its team Miglauss.. I need not say too obvious whats miglauss... In pur hearts we know can liao..

The poor remains poor o even poorer.. The rich getting richer... U guys judge 4 yourselves... haha..

Comment

Tis is the style of SG, everything goes up but only the salary remain. Dun really understand y most ppl tat come SG say tat it is a gd country to stay in, or maybe i'm just not tat rich enough to realise how gd SG is.

Comment

Actually both employees and employers suffer in present times. True, employees' wages are not increased (or even reduced) in recent times. But as employers, they also faced higher operating costs; higher rents, higher wage bill, higher levy, higher prices in raw materials, license fees, higher PUB charges, and the list goes on.

Now I am not on any side (though it may sounds like I am siding employer), but my point is most ppl are suffering..... we just have to live with it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Haolian King View Post
              Actually both employees and employers suffer in present times. True, employees' wages are not increased (or even reduced) in recent times. But as employers, they also faced higher operating costs; higher rents, higher wage bill, higher levy, higher prices in raw materials, license fees, higher PUB charges, and the list goes on.

Now I am not on any side (though it may sounds like I am siding employer), but my point is most ppl are suffering..... we just have to live with it and move on.
              but singapore's biggest 'employers' (us) are suffering but our 'employees' just increased their pay

Any idea where the money for those 'employees' salary come from?
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

but singapore's biggest 'employers' (us) are suffering but our 'employees' just increased their pay

Whatever happen to " Better, Faster, Cheaper '??
                Or this only apply to low level commoner?
                My Small Collection :
                GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Originally posted by rh1667 View Post
                  Whatever happen to " Better, Faster, Cheaper '??
                  Or this only apply to low level commoner?
                  i ish suspect it only applies to low level commoners in Singapore

Comment

It's time to get these employees "SACK" as they have become uncompetitive and too expensive to maintain.

Comment

Haha... I know what u are implying... In a sense, most of us are "employers".

But I am referring to people like the owner of a coffee shop, the chicken rice seller, the car workshop owner, the printing shop owner... etc... Even though they are bosses or employers, they are not having a good time too...

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                        It's time to get these employees "SACK" as they have become uncompetitive and too expensive to maintain.
                        Employees with highest salary are the biggest SG gangsters.
                        What they do right, is holy to the ppl.
                        What they do wrong, is still right.

Our fault is still our fault..
                        Their fault, is still our fault...

Comment

Originally posted by batamboy View Post
                          Employees with highest salary are the biggest SG gangsters.
                          What they do right, is holy to the ppl.
                          What they do wrong, is still right.

Our fault is still our fault..
                          Their fault, is still our fault...
                          Thats why we always said, 官字两个口。All of them there r all saints tat will never do anything wrong in their whole life during work n their most powerful n best stance is TAIJI. All of them r master like 张三丰。

Comment

haha bro crazybay..well said.
                            great minds think alike.

They not just got 2 mouths..
                            They got 2 F**king mouths that bankrupt ppl...

Comment

Originally posted by batamboy View Post
                              haha bro crazybay..well said.
                              great minds think alike.

They not just got 2 mouths..
                              They got 2 F**king mouths that bankrupt ppl...
                              U r right, bro. No one can play with them, if u wanna play with them, u will either lose all ur money n go bankrupt or u lose ur freedom n go to jail. Either way also lose,that is their power.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X