Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Greatest City: 50 reasons why Singapore is No. 1

World's Greatest City: 50 reasons why Singapore is No. 1

By Catherine Ling, Michelle Bong, Alisa Chopard, Christa Yeo, Hatta Aziz, Yuen Yi Ying and Larry Loh, CNNGo Singapore City Editor.

The little red dot heard round the world proves that size doesn't matter..

1. Food capital of the world

Singapore = Food. The city-state dominates the 'net with food blogs where hungry netizens compare, dissect, argue and swap foodie fodder, scouring the island for new tastes. And nearly every conceivable victual from every earthly corner has a home here. Fancy authentic Egyptian Baba Ghanoush? Arab Street's got you covered.

Crave something Nigerian besides a scam e-mail? Find it on Verdun Road in Little India. If it's edible and fits on a plate, bowl, banana leaf or sheet of paper, we'll wolf it with zeal. But if you truly want to sample Singapore's food culture, head to any of the hawker centers in the heartlands -- there's a huge variety of stalls there at dirt-cheap prices.

2. Green thrives in the big gray city

Singapore's a Garden City, literally. Amid the concrete jungle we call home, there's the Botanical Gardens, HortPark, MacRitchie Reservoir, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve -- each claiming myriad varieties of flora and fauna.

But the most common impression left visitors to Singapore concerns the rows of trees that line roads everywhere, from expressways to suburban streets. It's not just a green facade -- Singapore's a champion of environmental initiatives, from the world's largest CNG refueling station to its first Solar Greenlots for electric vehicles.

3. Greatest living politician

No one in Singapore, regardless of political stripe, has anything but a healthy respect -- perhaps even awe -- for Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. He led Singapore to independence in 1965 and served as its first Prime Minister for 31 years, setting the record as the world's longest-serving Prime Minister.

He's the architect of Singapore's present prosperity, laying a foundation of nation-building which has taken Singapore from a sleepy little island to one of Asia's most developed states, despite its small population, limited space and lack of natural resources.

In my own context: Without him we are nothing. He is singapore saviour. In chinese -- Long life long life ... long long life our majesty.

4. Dedicated to keeping us alive forever

Singapore has one of the best health care infrastructures in the world, with various dignitaries and royals from the region patronizing local hospitals -- Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe even slipped in quietly for a 'secret cancer check-up' in 2008. The health care provision system is also one of the world's best, so good that some say it beats the proposed ObamaCare model.

5. First and only Night Race in the world

Singapore is the first F1 venue to host a night race on its streets, and will do so for several years to come. The inaugural race in 2008 also earned the city-state an unfortunate distinction for being the one in which Team Renault boss Flavio Briatore ordered Nelson Piquet to crash, giving teammate Fernando Alonso the win. It's now known as the Singapore 'Crashgate' scandal -- which might lend some cred to Singapore's squeaky-clean image.

6. Water technology so good, we drink our own pee

Time magazine called Singapore the global paragon of water conservation. Through sheer effort, and more than a little desperation (Singapore imports less than half the population's water from neighboring Malaysia with agreements set to expire in 2011 and 2061), the island turned to desalination technologies to provide for thirsty citizens.

The result is NeWater, which is non-potable wastewater filtered into high-purity H2O that can be used for industrial development and even drinking.

7. Most awesome crustacean dish of all time

The Singapore chili crab is famous. Despite what the Malaysian Tourism Ministry claims, the dish is distinctly Singaporean, as evidenced by the Singapore Chilli Crab Festivals staged all across Europe. Madam Cher Yam Tian created the succulent recipe in 1950 and it's now the unofficial national dish of a food-loving nation, with restaurants and coffee shops serving it by the ton nightly.

8. English that no one else understands

It's the unofficial 'first language' of most Singaporeans and one that would bewilder the remaining English-speaking world. Singlish is the creole of choice for citizens, cobbled together from various influences including Queen's English, Bahasa Melayu, Tamil, dialects such as Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Bengali, Punjabi and even a smattering of various other European, Indic and Sinitic languages. Word of warning -- if you don't know it, don't try it. It'll make you sound sillier than we already do. Eh, dun pray pray ah ...

9. Connected, mobile and most oblivious to the surroundings

Thanks to its minuscule size, Singapore has the infrastructure to support island-wide 3.5G mobile and wireless internet access. According to Singapore's Infocomm Development Authority (IDA), there are 6.5 million mobile subscribers (as of July 2009), making for a staggering 140-plus-percent mobile phone penetration rate, and over four million in wireless broadband subscriptions. This is why you'll see Singaporeans with their attentions dedicated to their phones, rather than their environment.

10. Campaign-craziest place on earth

There's a Singapore-wide campaign for everything -- Be Courteous, Speak English, Speak Mandarin, Stop Dengue, Save Water, Stop Littering, Be Kind, Don't Spit, and Stop At Two are just a warm-up. We'd go on, but that would violate the current Stop Prattling campaign.

There's more to come and I'd love to suggest a love our minister campaign.

Take a look at the rest here: http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/none/...re-no-1-399897

Comment

I like this!

Can we add this one:

11. Singapore is the only country in the world where people will not sit on someone else's seat that has already been 'reserved' with just a packet of tissues.

Comment

Singapore is 'FINE' city mah....

Comment

We can also add this..

NO 12: Spore anywhere u go on the road gotta pay cos we got ERP.
          Say anything sala, slap with fine o jail.
          haha..dun say any further..let the brothers here carry on .....

Comment

Bro kenlinliu1419, yeah yeah...you are damn right! CCB! put tissue on the seat, and you assume the seat is yours! Fxxk! Normally if i see this , i will throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by evo6 View Post
              Bro kenlinliu1419, yeah yeah...you are damn right! CCB! put tissue on the seat, and you assume the seat is yours! Fxxk! Normally if i see this , i will throw it away.
              WTF! now I know what happened to my tissue
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

No.1 in increasing price for almost everything.
                Nobody is Perfect, I am Nobody.

Comment

Thats y more opp parties coming up now.. They may not be as experienced as PAP, but given more time, they should be able to show some results. All parties, be it ruling PAP o opps, healthy competition is beneficial to the country I believe.

An alternative voice for Singaporeans
                  By Ion Danker – May 5th, 2010
                  Buzz Up! Email Facebook Twitter Print
                  Reform Party’s Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam

By Ion Danker

Yahoo! Singapore

Reform Party’s Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam, the elder son of the late opposition politician J.B. Jeyaretnam, speaks like a man with a purpose.

His mission? To push for greater multi-party democracy and diversity in local politics.

To be frank, I didn’t quite know what to expect of the man when I arrived for my interview with him last week. After all, most Singaporeans would know of his father and how he paved the way for the opposition in the early days but Kenneth? Would he take after his firebrand father or would he be more his own man?

Tucked along the shophouses of Smith Street, Jeyaretnam’s small office was pretty bare, save for some pamphlets on the table, and a few chairs. A picture of the party’s founder and his dad, Joshua Benjamin, takes pride of place in one corner.

I walked into the office to see Kenneth deep in conversation with an elderly man, while another two sat patiently outside for their turn. Noticing my arrival, the 52-year-old Reform Party chief immediately excused himself from his earlier conversation and made me feel welcome.

Kenneth invited me into his office where he shared his plans for the next General Election.

He first revealed why he feels the odds are stacked against the opposition right from the start.

With the next General Election due by February 2012, we recently asked what do you think of the opposition’s chances and can they make a difference? Over 220 of you replied, many expressing greater confidence in the quality of opposition today.

With increased buzz on the ground in recent weeks as the different political parties begin to jostle for position and your votes, tell us how you think the next GE will play out. Will you, like what Kenneth Jeyaretnam hopes, vote to push for greater diversity in local politics? Why or why not?

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/05...-singaporeans/

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X