Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benitez: Liverpool expectations were too high

Rafa Benitez: Disappointing season at Anfield

Benitez says that after last year - when Liverpool finished second in the Premier League - hopes that they would challenge for the title again were wide of the mark because of their summer of upheaval.

''At the beginning of the season expectations were too big. That is normal after such a good season,'' he said. ''But I always say the same - the Premier League is the Premier League and the difference in money is so big that if you want to stay at this level for a while, you have to do almost everything perfectly.

''That's not easy when you push and push because sometimes you cannot keep the players working so hard or at the level they were in the previous season.''

The Spaniard also said key injuries, especially to striker Fernando Torres, played their part in destablising his side.

''During pre-season we also had players coming back late and then we had injuries,'' he said. ''We've had seven, nine or 11 players out at the same time in different months, players who would normally be starters.

''We can talk about mistakes, but when you have so many players injured, especially key players, it is not easy to sustain a level of performance every week.''
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

My take is sack Benitez...but Pool cannot afford to do so..
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Sometimes, the team can play scintillating football... its a matter of confidence.. Rafa failings:
      1. believing that Ngog can be 1/2 of Torres
      2. spending 20m on aqualini when he is injured and not getting someone like sneider or van der vaat
      3. overly defensive, i think enough players have come out to say Rafa just want the 1 2 3 in training to be replicated in matches.. no flair or freedom of expressions

I am a sad supporter of Liverpool... This has been one of the worst recent season.. And sadly i think it is the end of the road for Rafa, much as i hate to say it, if the self annoited 'Special One' is available, and wants the challenge, I am all for it.
      Itchy for:
      Pam 351

First Team Players:
      Zenith Chronomaster power reserve
      Bvlgari Octo
      IWC 3777-01
      Rollie 116610LN

SuperSubs:
      Omega Speedmaster Olympic Edition
      Blumo

Once was Itching for them:
      Tag Heuer Aquaracer