$1 million each, for Olympic glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1 million each, for Olympic glory

SINGAPORE: The national women's table tennis team ended 48 years of hurt when they won silver at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

In a bid to win Singapore's first individual medal since weightlifter Tan Howe Liang finished second at the Rome Olympics in 1960, the six athletes currently in the Olympic Pathway Programme (OPP) will be funded to the tune of approximately $1 million each.

"With so much money pumped in, we are targeting an individual medal at the 2012 London Games," said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) Teo Ser Luck on Thursday.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...048911/1/.html
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

poor Tan Howe Liang, if only he tahan till now then win
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I wonder how many better ways this $6million can be used to help the needy?
      I would feel more satisfied as a taxpayer if my contributions were used to help rather than glorify...
      Sweet 16:
      PP Aquanaut
      VC Overseas
      AP ROO Black Themes
      A.Lange & Sohne 1815
      Breguet Type XXI
      Blancpain 50 Fathoms
      JLC Navy Seals
      GO Senator 60s
      GP Laureato
      Zenith Pilot Extra Special
      Rolex DSSD
      IWC Big Pilot
      Pam 112
      Omega Ploprof
      Breitling Super Avenger
      Glycine F104

Comment

huh u mean that one is our tax money ah?

oops..........
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

No offence to table tennis. I also play once in a while but definitely do not see it as an Olympic sports. Especially now with all the imported talents, getting paid to take up passport and play for country. Further more, rewarded $$$$$$$ for doing their job. Think they should focus on spending $ to develop local talents/improving sport centres/etc; maybe even encourage traditional Olympic sports (running, weight lifting, etc) rather than a hobby/back yard sports like table tennis. Can you imagine in old Greek days them competing in table tennis ;0 No offence, just my 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by GadgetGuy View Post
            No offence to table tennis. I also play once in a while but definitely do not see it as an Olympic sports. Especially now with all the imported talents, getting paid to take up passport and play for country. Further more, rewarded $$$$$$$ for doing their job. Think they should focus on spending $ to develop local talents/improving sport centres/etc; maybe even encourage traditional Olympic sports (running, weight lifting, etc) rather than a hobby/back yard sports like table tennis. Can you imagine in old Greek days them competing in table tennis ;0 No offence, just my 2cents.
            in the olden days in Ancient Greece. olympians participated naked in the sports.

I can just imagine how 'hazardous' the woman's table-tennis would be

Comment

din we buy these FT for this purpose? so why now still must give more money to them for doing what they are suppose to? if they can't perform then send them all back home?

Does singaporeans love soccer more or table tennis more? i always think why don't we spend more and buy soccer players...i think this is better since they alr want to throw money to the FT, might as well throw to somewhere with more viewership?

Comment

i tink its pure BS la..... first.. we 'buy' these premade 'talents' from other countries... give them PR and tell the world that they are 'singaporeans'.... winning medals for singapore. wat BS...

the 6million can be put to better use like helping the needy... no need to say how many needy ppl are out there tat our high-up-in-the-sky elites can nvr see... OR rather.. can put the cash into DELEVOPING OUR OWN PEOPLE... grooming potential citizens from young to compete on the world stage...

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Honestly, if there are OWN PEOPLE good enough to be groomed, I believed that the govt will put the money in them... but...

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                  i tink its pure BS la..... first.. we 'buy' these premade 'talents' from other countries... give them PR and tell the world that they are 'singaporeans'.... winning medals for singapore. wat BS...

the 6million can be put to better use like helping the needy... no need to say how many needy ppl are out there tat our high-up-in-the-sky elites can nvr see... OR rather.. can put the cash into DELEVOPING OUR OWN PEOPLE... grooming potential citizens from young to compete on the world stage...

Comment

Agree to some extend also...

But i would say 2 main factor contribute to this... first.. parents in SG dun see their children having bright future pursuing sports... they rather their children go into some good schools, get a degree, masters, etc....

second.. SG does not have to type of facilities + CASH to make groom any sports to be world-class....... eg, soccer... S-league will never be another Seria A, Primera Liga, BPL, etc... no crowd = no cash = no high salary for a potential sportsman/sportswoman...

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Not very fair to imply that there are not up to standard locals.

I think for locals, its not really possible anyone will dare to put their everything training for games.

I mean, its not practical not to have a stable income and stuff. Probably in school, yes. But once you have to start working, all such enthu gets eroded away. I know cos I used to be from track and field and take part in nationals. But gave up after uni cos realised no one will pay my bills if i do full time training.

If you train and later got injury and have to drop out (or cant make the cut for that matter), all ur earlier years would be wasted and you now have to look for a job. if you no money and proper shelter, would the govt take care of you now? obviously not. they might even put u in jail or fine you if you pitch a tent in the parks to sleep.
                      For FTs, different. Take China for example. Huge population. lots of people wanna use olympics to get out of poverty. Its do-or-die kinad mentality. Hence, many are willing to take the risk and don work, just train and train. those that drop out, really jia lak, but those very few that got chosen, they are given a new lease of life.

On a side note, if our govt don wave the carrot ard, I doubt we will have talents like li jiawei and the likes willing to come here and try their luck.

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                        Agree to some extend also...

But i would say 2 main factor contribute to this... first.. parents in SG dun see their children having bright future pursuing sports... they rather their children go into some good schools, get a degree, masters, etc....

second.. SG does not have to type of facilities + CASH to make groom any sports to be world-class....... eg, soccer... S-league will never be another Seria A, Primera Liga, BPL, etc... no crowd = no cash = no high salary for a potential sportsman/sportswoman...
                        Well, my question is this, do we really need to excel in Sports as a small country to gain recognition in the global arena? We are 'number 1' in a lot of things already, why not strive to climb higher in humanitarian efforts?
                        Sweet 16:
                        PP Aquanaut
                        VC Overseas
                        AP ROO Black Themes
                        A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                        Breguet Type XXI
                        Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                        JLC Navy Seals
                        GO Senator 60s
                        GP Laureato
                        Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                        Rolex DSSD
                        IWC Big Pilot
                        Pam 112
                        Omega Ploprof
                        Breitling Super Avenger
                        Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
                          Well, my question is this, do we really need to excel in Sports as a small country to gain recognition in the global arena? We are 'number 1' in a lot of things already, why not strive to climb higher in humanitarian efforts?
                          Well said. It's a slap to the faces of local sportsmen/sportswomen who are trying to achieve their best while $$$ are paid for quick fix by buying players from overseas to "buy" medals for countries. Plus rewarded $$$ for doing their job. $ is better spent on helping the needing. How many times have we seen blind, handicap, etc on the roadside selling tissues? Better to spend $ helping those in need and promoting local talents. It's sad to see the needy on the street.

Comment

sports here is a low pay job. not like big countries which is talking about 100K+ per month for the better ones. top sportsmen can command more than CEOs. some more plus endorsement deal.

this is justified for the talent, high risk and short career involved.

here they cannot be endorsing beauty salons or slimming package.

so locals will not risk their career on sports. they will not be retiring at 35 with millions, a few bling properties.
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
                              i agree with u. How does Li contribute to national GDP,productivity and even the budget deficit?

on a side note..her premartial sex resulting in a baby before wedding to me is a bad example to our child. sorry that i am not a liberal..but i think we need to have proper example and role model in our society....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X