No announcement yet.

Blaming PAP for the high cost of living and 7% GST falls under the Sedition Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaming PAP for the high cost of living and 7% GST falls under the Sedition Act

Poison pen letters hit Sengkang

SINGAPORE - Even before the date for the next General Election has been announced, a poison pen letter has surfaced in Sengkang.

Written on a piece of A4-size paper in both English and Mandarin, it has been stuffed into the letter boxes of residents there, apparently since last week.

In it, the anonymous author accuses the People's Action Party (PAP) of being responsible for the high cost of living and the 7-per-cent GST, among other complaints.

The police said that a report has been made, and investigations are in progress.

MediaCorp understands that this case falls under the Sedition Act, where the offender could be fined up to $5,000 and/or given a maximum jail term of three years.

When Ms Ong K C, a Sengkang resident, opened her mailbox on Monday evening, she was surprised to see the letter. Alerting the media yesterday, the administrator, who is in her 40s, said "the comments made in the letter are subjective, and they cannot represent the voice of the masses".

While she does not support any political party, Ms Ong said this is not an appropriate way to air one's dissatisfaction.

Her Member of Parliament in Pasir Ris-Punggol Group Representation Constituency, Mr Charles Chong, who had heard about the letter, said its statements were "too broad and general to be addressed".

He added: "Residents can read it and decide for themselves if the comments are credible."

Other MPs in Sengkang confirmed that their residents had told them about the letter. MP and North East district mayor Teo Ser Luck said: "For me, work goes on, and the letter won't change what we're doing to serve the residents."

Yesterday, MediaCorp came across many letter boxes that had been stuffed with copies of the letter. Some could also be seen lying discarded in rubbish bins.

The PAP headquarters said they are aware of the matter, and Ms Ong is not the only person to have informed them about the letter.

PAP HQ executive director Lau Ping Sum said they had received anonymous letters in the past. Since the Sengkang letter is an anonymous one, the HQ would not be pursuing the matter, Mr Lau added.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...s-hit-Sengkang
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

No guts

Whoever wrote their opinion and mailed it to the residents just has not guts to voice out. I do not believe Singapore is in such a state as to have a voiceless society where you think you will be persecuted for voicing a simple opinion such as this. Gutless is all I can say.

Anyway, I personally do not believe this will rock any boats especially in our currently strong political climate. IMHO, the govt has done very well to avert the financial markets from serious meltdown and in hindsight, the measures they implemented for Singapore businesses and the working people was a stroke of genius.

Let's now be prepared for the elections to be called sometime later this year!

Comment

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
      Whoever wrote their opinion and mailed it to the residents just has not guts to voice out. I do not believe Singapore is in such a state as to have a voiceless society where you think you will be persecuted for voicing a simple opinion such as this. Gutless is all I can say.
      no offence, but u sure in Singapore voice out opinions is ok, esp if its anything to do with politics?

the key word is opinion here with possibly no facts to support it.

what was our ranking recently with regard to speech thingy? As well as how we won the case against a certain newspaper who posted opinions and not facts?

PS: btw I also dont feel what that annoymous guy did was correct
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

this is Singapore.

Anything that is voiced out have to be exact, correct, precise, without avenue for distortion, suggestion. With all aspects and angles considered and free from legal action.
        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

My understanding from the report was that the guy was trying to complain about the cost of living and the 7% GST, but in a thoughtless way. If the article touched on subjects that are creating propaganda then granted, they need facts to back it up.

But based on the thread details, it seems like the article was just touching on his opinions which I believe should be publicly voiced without any repercussions. I'm not sure what the article contains but maybe it was quite bad as I just noticed that the Sedition Act was mentioned.

Comment

I wouldnt be bother if the allegation is a menace, propaganda or a factual one. Let peoples power decide their opinions.

Comment

Anyone has a copy of the letter?
              Wonder what is written........
              My Small Collection :
              GMT II 16710 Coke U series
              JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
              Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
              Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
              Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
              PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
              BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Anyway, I personally do not believe this will rock any boats especially in our currently strong political climate. IMHO, the govt has done very well to avert the financial markets from serious meltdown and in hindsight, the measures they implemented for Singapore businesses and the working people was a stroke of genius.

Hi there

Are u a Grassroot member??
                "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

are u trying to be sarcastic or r u serious ??

if its a joke, i'm nt getting it...
                  Pew! Pew! Pew!

Comment

Originally posted by Speziel View Post
                    are u trying to be sarcastic or r u serious ??

if its a joke, i'm nt getting it...
                    I can almost bet one of my rollies that there's going to be an election call this year. You've heard it first if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                      Hi there

Are u a Grassroot member??
                      no comment

Comment

In this case, nobody right. Nobody wrong. It depends on how u see things from which angle. Indeed, with my own ears, I heard from many ppl from all walks of life, be it rich, poor o middle income..MANY are complaining abt the increasing of prices this n that..Anyway,dun let this bother us..We take life easy n happy cos SG has no natural disasters compared to many other countries. Let the ppl wisdom decide the polls outcome.

Comment

I can almost bet one of my rollies that there's going to be an election call this year. You've heard it first if it happens.
                          Woohooo.... 1 more PH coming..

Too bad my side always walkover..
                          A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X