Relentless rise in COE premiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relentless rise in COE premiums

A piece of Cat A COE, used for small cars of 1,600cc and below, now cost $34,001, up by 19.8 per cent. Similarly a Cat B COE would now cost $45,501, a 26 per cent rise from its last price.

Premium for the open category, used largely for cars, closed shy of the $50,000 mark, at $49,000.

Premiums for commercial vehicles and motorcycles weren't let off either. Both went up to finish at $36,551 and $1,221 respectively.

Feeding frenzy

Car distributors are in a hurry. In an unusual scene, there were more bids than pieces of COEs before bidding closed.

45 minutes before the close of bidding at 4pm, there were already 603 bids for 372 pieces of Cat E COEs. A similar situation persisted in Cat B - there were 629 bids for 571 pieces of COEs.

The frenzy can be attributed to the pent-up overall demand for cars, stoked up by two factors:

1) last-minute buyers rushing to book new cars before expected price hikes; and

2) early buyers who took the plunge earlier in the year when car distributors slashed prices in a price war.

According to a Business Times report, some distributors had collected "hundreds" of orders when last-minute buyers rushed to book a new car before price hikes.

Another Straits Times report also revealed that Borneo Motors had failed to secure COEs for some buyers who had booked their cars in January, when prices were much lower.
    Win 1 Year's Free Fuel Daily with Shell!

The upward trend is unlikely to ease anytime soon however, due to the sudden mismatch in demand and supply.

Industry pundits are expecting COE premiums to hit the $60,000 mark, according to a report in The Straits Times.

And the numbers support this.

Over 1,700 bids for COEs were unsuccessful in March's last bidding. And in April's first bidding, there were 1,665 unsuccessful bids.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Just nice to cover for the recent salary increase?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i remember few years back .... one director in my office bought a nissan sunny 1.6 for $100K over.. guess wat? he neber trade in when the COE are low ......drive till 10 years up. recently just changed to a subaru impreza...

u say he stupid or too rich?
      劳心者治人, 劳力者治于人。 治人者食人, 治与人者食与人。

善恶之报,如影随形。福祸无门,唯人自招!

Comment

in 1998, a mitsubishi lancer sets back 120k....

good that the expensive car era is here again...hopefully, can improve the road condition here in Singapore. These days, everywhere you go also jam... sian..

Comment

strongly agreed.... I thought that's what COE are for.... should increase to $100k for COE and increase ERP fees to $10 per entry....

Originally posted by sportee View Post

good that the expensive car era is here again...hopefully, can improve the road condition here in Singapore. These days, everywhere you go also jam... sian..

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
            strongly agreed.... I thought that's what COE are for.... should increase to $100k for COE and increase ERP fees to $10 per entry....

bro 116520, if ERP gantry is $10 per entry,
            then i will have to top up $500 in my cashcard
            2014 March - Rolex Deepsea Seadweller V series MK 1 dial ref: 116660

Comment

nowadays, everytime I will have to top up $100 in my cashcard not because of ERP but carpark is sooooo expensive these days.... remember 20 years ago, carpark at orchard road is only $2-$3 max....

I tell you, someone is trying to invent lamp pole ERP sensors now... in the near future, there will no more road tax in singapore but they charge you using lamp poles....*joking*

Originally posted by lion3lh View Post
              bro 116520, if ERP gantry is $10 per entry,
              then i will have to top up $500 in my cashcard

Comment

nowadays, everytime I will have to top up $100 in my cashcard not because of ERP but carpark is sooooo expensive these days.... remember 20 years ago, carpark at orchard road is only $2-$3 max....

I tell you, someone is trying to invent lamp pole ERP sensors now... in the near future, there will no more road tax in singapore but they charge you using lamp poles....*joking*

then i bo bian ll but to buy a Pp5167 and take train to work.
                2014 March - Rolex Deepsea Seadweller V series MK 1 dial ref: 116660

Comment

in that case, I will do the same....

Originally posted by lion3lh View Post
                  then i bo bian ll but to buy a Pp5167 and take train to work.

Comment

Originally posted by sportee View Post

i thought i paid too much for a honda sir at 150k,whaa piang lancer 120k! issit an evo...?

Comment

aiyo.......... Bro 116520, no jokes ok.....

i think they really have something similiar soon........ remember the J-eyes at congested junction around city areas and EMAS camera on expressway? combine 2 together and add ERP sensor to it........ 3 in 1 ! si qiao qiao !

$ 500 in cash card maybe not enough.....

anyone here from transport authorities
                      劳心者治人, 劳力者治于人。 治人者食人, 治与人者食与人。

善恶之报,如影随形。福祸无门,唯人自招!

Comment

10 years from now... you will only see Ferraris, Lambos, etc on street as those are the people can afford driving on Singapore roads.... better start working harder now....

Originally posted by 4Dvisor View Post
                        aiyo.......... Bro 116520, no jokes ok.....

i think they really have something similiar soon........ remember the J-eyes at congested junction around city areas and EMAS camera on expressway? combine 2 together and add ERP sensor to it........ 3 in 1 ! si qiao qiao !

$ 500 in cash card maybe not enough.....

anyone here from transport authorities

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X