Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
    no leh, i have yet to meet a cute (and open) OL insurance ger

mine all guy de keke..but maybe cos me stingy, don like to spend money on insurance keke..
    Haha, mine also mainly male. Good thing too, cos if meet cute (and open mind and leg) OL insurance ger, we'll probably spend more on insurance.
    Need to pay hospitalization bill and other injuries when wife finds out and assault mah...
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
      Haha, mine also mainly male. Good thing too, cos if meet cute (and open mind and leg) OL insurance ger, we'll probably spend more on insurance.
      Need to pay hospitalization bill and other injuries when wife finds out and assault mah...
      wan open mind + open leg somemore...

If got.. pls intro..
      A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post

If got.. pls intro..
        I oso want
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post

If got.. pls intro..
          Hahaha! You guys ah...I'm sure you both can source with your charms and wit...soft skills development mah.
          Hmmm...maybe can propose to your HR depts as new training program to boost confidence of staff!
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

...since already OT...

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
            I've contemplated embarking on a Doctorate but that's also too tedious and expensive these days : ( S$60k minimum for Aussie Uni Doctorate!
            There are doctorate programmes that pay a stipend, waive the fees, in exchange for research or teaching assistantship.

This was the one closest to my research interests: http://www.infosci.cornell.edu/grad/index.html. Wanted to do something on cognition. Had to pass eventually because the residential programme is too long, and I have passed that stage in life where I can just uproot for a few years.

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

Comment

To me , the Rich =elite.

In this material world who got more $$$money is the elite.

no point being Rafflesian and thinking you are elite if you did not make your millions but still walking with your nose up in the air.

If you are from a rich family and a Rafflesian , yes you can be selective and have an attitude.

If you are from an average middle income family and Rafflesian so what ?! you better shine the right shoes at work and mingle with everyone that is useful and improve on your interpersonal skills to survive in a corporate world.
              My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
              1) WG DIA 18239
              2) YG DIA 18238
              3) WG 18239
              4) YG 18238
              5) YG 18248G Bark
              6) WG DIA 18039
              7) WG 18039
              8) YG 18038
              9) Tridor DIA 18039B
              10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
              11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
              12) WG 1803
              13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
              1)GMT II 116718 18K
              2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
              1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
              2)D15037 14k
              3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Originally posted by HerzAusStahl View Post
                There are doctorate programmes that pay a stipend, waive the fees, in exchange for research or teaching assistantship.

This was the one closest to my research interests: http://www.infosci.cornell.edu/grad/index.html. Wanted to do something on cognition. Had to pass eventually because the residential programme is too long, and I have passed that stage in life where I can just uproot for a few years.
                Residential programs are indeed too long and opportunity costs high with job, family, aging parents at stake. Guess our priorities have shifted. Less qualms spending on watches these days despite telling myself (also) I don't need another watch... : )
                Sweet 16:
                PP Aquanaut
                VC Overseas
                AP ROO Black Themes
                A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                Breguet Type XXI
                Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                JLC Navy Seals
                GO Senator 60s
                GP Laureato
                Rolex DSSD
                IWC Big Pilot
                Pam 112
                Omega Ploprof
                Breitling Super Avenger
                Glycine F104

Comment

The new elite?

Interesting point. So between, say, the Chinese mainlander who did not finish secondary school but who helped work on his family's farm and later made his money (and lots of it) in setting up a low cost, high volume t-shirt making venture before coming to Singapore to settle down on the one hand, and a Rafflesian who studied overseas (at a decent university, whatever that means) and who later came back to work in a low to middle income position in the public sector on the other hand, who is the "elite" one? Neither?

What's the role of money here? Necessary but non-conclusive (ie, money is required to be elite, but not enough by itself)?

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
                  To me , the Rich =elite.

In this material world who got more $$$money is the elite.

no point being Rafflesian and thinking you are elite if you did not make your millions but still walking with your nose up in the air.

If you are from a rich family and a Rafflesian , yes you can be selective and have an attitude.

If you are from an average middle income family and Rafflesian so what ?! you better shine the right shoes at work and mingle with everyone that is useful and improve on your interpersonal skills to survive in a corporate world.

Comment

Originally posted by wees View Post
                    Interesting point. So between, say, the Chinese mainlander who did not finish secondary school but who helped work on his family's farm and later made his money (and lots of it) in setting up a low cost, high volume t-shirt making venture before coming to Singapore to settle down on the one hand, and a Rafflesian who studied overseas (at a decent university, whatever that means) and who later came back to work in a low to middle income position in the public sector on the other hand, who is the "elite" one? Neither?

What's the role of money here? Necessary but non-conclusive (ie, money is required to be elite, but not enough by itself)?
                    Interesting Point indeed

You got to read my points in relation to the context of the article.

Using your e.g the Chinaman is considered an elite (IMO) because he achieved success in his industry.

I say again if you a rich Rafflesian (whether by your own or family) yes you can walk with your nose in the air and look down on everyone who is not a Rafflesian because you are elite too.

But if you are a Rafflesian working an average job and from average family...better wake up and not think you are "Elite" and too good for everyone otherwise you won't make it far in life.
                    1) WG DIA 18239
                    2) YG DIA 18238
                    3) WG 18239
                    4) YG 18238
                    5) YG 18248G Bark
                    6) WG DIA 18039
                    7) WG 18039
                    8) YG 18038
                    9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                    10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                    12) WG 1803
                    13) YG 1803

1)GMT II 116718 18K

Others
                    1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                    2)D15037 14k
                    3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

New elite then...

I see, so money is determinative and being a Rafflesian (or not) is irrelevant (at least in the context of these examples). I guess each society gets to decide from time to time who they regard as "elite" to the extent it is important or merely interesting even if not particularly important or relevant for that society. In some places and times, it was the landed families who had no involvement in trade or commerce (as this would be "beneath" them) that were considered the "elite"; probably not so applicable to Singapore, a relatively young and small country. If I won the lottery or made my money importing fake watches, would I be elite?

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
                      Interesting Point indeed

You got to read my points in relation to the context of the article.

Using your e.g the Chinaman is considered an elite (IMO) because he achieved success in his industry.

I say again if you a rich Rafflesian (whether by your own or family) yes you can walk with your nose in the air and look down on everyone who is not a Rafflesian because you are elite too.

But if you are a Rafflesian working an average job and from average family...better wake up and not think you are "Elite" and too good for everyone otherwise you won't make it far in life.

Comment

In Singapore, Elite is more complex than just being rich or simply Rafflesian or ACSian. It is probably both and more.

Profession (most notably doctors and lawyers rather than just businessman).
                        Social networking (often invited to social functions like those featured in Peak, life membership to exclusive clubs)
                        Family background (children of elites is easiest way to qualify)
                        Schooling background
                        Net worth
                        Property

So, a rich businessman who can earn millions manufacturing things in China may not be among the elites yet if for example he cannot hold a decent conversation with the established elite. Similarly, a Rafflesian who is a normal (not top top) civil servant may also not be among them.

All said, I don't meet any of the above mentioned and never will so never dreamt.
                        I also know of friends who are truely elites but ot elitist. These are the best. Worst are those who are not elite but elitist.

Comment

Originally posted by wees View Post
                          I see, so money is determinative and being a Rafflesian (or not) is irrelevant (at least in the context of these examples). I guess each society gets to decide from time to time who they regard as "elite" to the extent it is important or merely interesting even if not particularly important or relevant for that society. In some places and times, it was the landed families who had no involvement in trade or commerce (as this would be "beneath" them) that were considered the "elite"; probably not so applicable to Singapore, a relatively young and small country. If I won the lottery or made my money importing fake watches, would I be elite?

I want to make it clear I do not look down anyone in society (unlike the Rafflesian in the article), neither am I an elite.my parents are retired civil servants and I work my axx off 10 to 12 hours a day just to pay my bills.

The examples I gave is in relation to the article only.

anyone who makes tons of money (legal or illegal means) can flex their financial muscles and get into any elite circles. That is how the mafia in other countries buy themselves into all kinds of elite circles, sometimes with the use of proxies. no problem just show the $$$.
                          1) WG DIA 18239
                          2) YG DIA 18238
                          3) WG 18239
                          4) YG 18238
                          5) YG 18248G Bark
                          6) WG DIA 18039
                          7) WG 18039
                          8) YG 18038
                          9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                          10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                          12) WG 1803
                          13) YG 1803

1)GMT II 116718 18K

Others
                          1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                          2)D15037 14k
                          3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                            In Singapore, Elite is more complex than just being rich or simply Rafflesian or ACSian. It is probably both and more.

Profession (most notably doctors and lawyers rather than just businessman).
                            Social networking (often invited to social functions like those featured in Peak, life membership to exclusive clubs)
                            Family background (children of elites is easiest way to qualify)
                            Schooling background
                            Net worth
                            Property

So, a rich businessman who can earn millions manufacturing things in China may not be among the elites yet if for example he cannot hold a decent conversation with the established elite. Similarly, a Rafflesian who is a normal (not top top) civil servant may also not be among them.

All said, I don't meet any of the above mentioned and never will so never dreamt.
                            I also know of friends who are truely elites but ot elitist. These are the best. Worst are those who are not elite but elitist.
                            I can agree with most of what you said, especially your last sentence

However remember a lot of tycoons can't speak proper english (i will not name them ) but no problem getting into any elite circles.When you are made of millions ...can talk or not don't matter ...people want to be your best friend because they think they can sell you something or have favours to ask.Everyone will woo you.!
                            1) WG DIA 18239
                            2) YG DIA 18238
                            3) WG 18239
                            4) YG 18238
                            5) YG 18248G Bark
                            6) WG DIA 18039
                            7) WG 18039
                            8) YG 18038
                            9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                            10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                            12) WG 1803
                            13) YG 1803

1)GMT II 116718 18K

Others
                            1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                            2)D15037 14k
                            3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

USually those who speak good english just remain that way, just SPEAK and nothing else. Usually all talk and achieve nothing.

Being a graduate from RI (Rubbish Institute) or RGS (Rubbish Girl Sch)..haha or issit Raffles Institute and Raffles Gal Sch..anyway does not matter..

All i wanna say is that coming from top sch just prove that you have academic prowness and thats all=)

Being able to succeed in life have nothing to do with it, success is all about attitude and discipline in life, as well as having the guts and the Eye of the Tiger=)

Passing with Aces just prove are academically able, does not make you elite or whatever most Singaporean call them.

YOu see alot of So-called Top Brain or Elite from these top sch..but where are they after they graduate? I know where they are!..LoL, they ended up working for the less educated folks whom they sneer at and called stupid.

Becoz u see, those Top sch blokes got all the knowledge in the world, but they lack something. They do not have balls to try things out=) They usually analyse too much to even take action.

All are just dreaming about being CEO or joining some profession with ahem! Iron rice bowl=) this type of mentality, how to success?

Alot of our millionaire folks do not even speak boomastic english, some do not even write=) But yet they can success in life, while those high educated ended up working 9 to 5 like herds of sheep.

I am not saying education is bad, education is good and essential but it is not the key to success=)

In life, cash is king, whoever have the cash, he is the elite, the top brain or whatever you call it. Tats life and reality is cruel....

Comment

Originally posted by Tua Pao Xian(CannonDeity) View Post
                                I am not saying education is bad, education is good and essential but it is not the key to success=)
                                First time I hear people say this. Quite funny. Education is the key to success. No doubt. You may say academic excellence is not the only ingredient to success (which I agree) but all our non highly educated tycoons had some form of 'learning' (education) that they attribute to their success.

Don't think any tycoon has rubbished education and not send their children thru uni. Look at Li Ka Shing and Ng Teng Fong. Both not highly educated but recognised that education is critical! See what they are doing to their children.

Ops...I have OT.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X