X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also a SJI ne'er-do-well ! Haha looks like time to fall in
    There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy

Comment

I know of many successful friends from ah beng schools and they make more $$$ than the rafflesians I know of. Who cares what school you come from, all people wanna know is where you stay, what you drive and what watch you wearing...heehee. I know it sounds crass but it's the cruel truth!
      1 3 5
      ├┼┼╕
      2 4 6 R

Comment

why is there so called elitism in sg?

because of the media. back in the 70s and 80s, media always say this school can produce this type of students, that school can produce that type of students. then all flock to one type of school.

then in late 90s, media also say that type of school can produce this type of students. then in 2000s, you can see so many different types of banners hanging on the fence.

so how? bottom line, it is up to individual. till today, if someone say stay in east, it is associated with that level of status. if someone say stay in BT, it is associated with another level of status. people including my parents always ask me why i cant be like that someone, i reply, because im not that someone.

in australia, a lollipop man can earn AUD75k annually. a driver working in the mining industry can earn AUD100k a year. you dont even need to be a graduate. all you need is a class 4 licence. so what if one is from elite school.

why would i want to be that someone? compare this and that. never ending. they ask not sian, i listen also sian liao.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i think i rather be a normal simple person but feels happy then to be an elite but not happy

Comment

I've no time for elitists and arrogance. I'd rather watch paint dry than to listen to tell tell me how great they are.

A friend of mine loves elitist girls! He loves to defile them, and then tell them to tell their dad "thanks"

Heeeheee sorry i'm being crude crass and pedestrian...but who gives a flying f

Comment

All kinds of people/classes but eventually only one ending/outcome...

Current Collection
              -------------------
              GMTIIc SS "M" series
              PAM 48

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                me from the most imfamous sec sch in the east...heartland guy from head to toe....have dealings with raffles ppl and most are polite and frenly at least in front of me...hahaha
                Of course mah...talk to CEO have to be polite and friendly..cannot afford to offend him.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

bro, you're right! My uni prof once told us that there is also no such thing as depression before media or public broadcast was invented....

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  why is there so called elitism in sg?

because of the media. back in the 70s and 80s, media always say this school can produce this type of students, that school can produce that type of students. then all flock to one type of school.

then in late 90s, media also say that type of school can produce this type of students. then in 2000s, you can see so many different types of banners hanging on the fence.

so how? bottom line, it is up to individual. till today, if someone say stay in east, it is associated with that level of status. if someone say stay in BT, it is associated with another level of status. people including my parents always ask me why i cant be like that someone, i reply, because im not that someone.

in australia, a lollipop man can earn AUD75k annually. a driver working in the mining industry can earn AUD100k a year. you dont even need to be a graduate. all you need is a class 4 licence. so what if one is from elite school.

why would i want to be that someone? compare this and that. never ending. they ask not sian, i listen also sian liao.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                    A friend of mine loves elitist girls! He loves to defile them, and then tell them to tell their dad "thanks"

Heeeheee sorry i'm being crude crass and pedestrian...but who gives a flying f
                    Doesn't speak much about you for repeating these, and celebrating it by not giving a flying f. Why do you not care that this is crude, crass and pedestrian?

I am sure there are parents and non-parents amongst us in sg-roc community who find posts like this distasteful.

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

Comment

Eh relax bro, i'm just feeling a lil cheesed off at the arrogant people....

Comment

it's true what i said was unnecessary. I apologise for repeating my friend's remarks and in the process exposing my own flawed judgement and bias. Sorry folks! This aint the sammyboy forum after all, gotta class up my act!

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                          Many of my schoolmates went on to become civil servants, lawyers, bankers and doctors. They keep to the same small social circle they grew up in, married within it and will probably wish the same life for their offspring as well.
                          I find this true, but not just of elitists. Makes me wonder if growing up in the same small circle is a function of elitism (as the writer implied) or just an outcome of our social construct.

My life as a young kid revolved around my neighbourhood (Tiong Bahru), my friends are from my block (Block 4 Boon Tiong Road), and when I started schooling more friends are added from school. And that's my small circle, elite or otherwise.

The only girls I got to meet and date were from "circles" that overlapped, neighbouring schools, same tutorial classes, or something like that. Starting work, the only girls we get to be acquainted with are really from the workplace/industry isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                            it's true what i said was unnecessary. I apologise for repeating my friend's remarks and in the process exposing my own flawed judgement and bias. Sorry folks! This aint the sammyboy forum after all, gotta class up my act!
                            no harm done bro. This is a nice community (I have met many of the bros here), with generally very balanced and mature perspective.

Comment

Elite?

I think this whole "elite" thing stems out (at least in part) of the need to categorise and compare. I think most people do it in one form or another and I'm not sure there's any necessary harm in being self-satisfied per se, but those who do and are might well be setting themselves up, among other things, for a slight disappointment when they step outside of these shores and discover a world that doesn't know or care what a Rafflesian is.

Yes, I didn't go to a Raffles institution, and no, I don't have a big chip on my shoulder. No, really.

Comment

Don't be angry or sad. We are not responsible for this. It is all the fault of the our colonial masters that planted the roots of elitism.

Back then, they (CM) acted and behaved as 'true' Elites. Those locals associated with them also gets elevated to such 'Neo-elite' status. As time past, this gets ingrained into the society. Thus, 40 years after they have left, elitism here is still closely tied to the western culture.

Some employers still think a degree from some countryside university in England is better than NUS!

So no point for us here argue which school elitist and which is not.

Not school bashing but why is it we heard so often elitist incidents related to 'raffles', 'anglo' etc and not 'Dunman' or 'HwaZhong'?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X