The Truth Is Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth Is Out

SINGAPORE: State Coroner Victor Yeo has ruled that Dr Silviu Ionescu, Romania’s former Charge d’Affaires, was the driver of the car involved in the hit—and—run accidents that took place on December 15 last year.

The State Coroner delivered his verdict after a six—day hearing involving 54 witnesses.

Coroner Victor Yeo said he was satisfied the State had proven beyond doubt that Dr Ionescu was the driver of the Romanian Embassy car involved in the accidents.

He said that the driver’s conduct was not only "cowardly and irresponsible", it was also "utterly deplorable".

The car, which belongs to the Romanian Embassy, was involved in two accidents in the Bukit Panjang area at around 3am that day.

Three pedestrians were hit.

One of them, 30—year—old Singapore permanent resident, Tong Kok Wai, succumbed to his injuries and died 10 days later.

The other two, 24—year—old Bong Hwee Haw and 18—year—old Muhammad Haris Abu Talib, were injured.

Speaking to reporters later, Madam Young, wife of the deceased, said she is satisfied with the verdict.

Responding to MediaCorp, Singapore’s Attorney General’s Chambers said it is studying the findings and "deciding the next steps to take in this case."

Romania’s Economic Counsellor to Singapore, Alexandru Coseru, was also in court for the verdict.

"I have no comments right now. I will report that back to my home. And now, it’s a matter of my Ministry of Justice to do the job," he said.

Romania’s Prosecutor’s Office had announced earlier in February that Dr Ionescu faces manslaughter charges in Romania.

Madam Young’s lawyer said that based on the coroner’s findings, Dr Ionescu could be charged with culpable homicide if dealt with in Singapore.

Singapore’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said it would be premature for the Ministry to comment at this stage, as the Attorney General’s Chambers is already deciding on the next steps in the case.

-CNA

waiting to see if he will even put a foot on local soil

Comment

I believe everyone already knew he is the driver.... but i highly doubt that he will ever set foot on SG....

I really dunno how he can sleep at night....
      A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

He don't have to set foot on SG.

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
          I believe everyone already knew he is the driver.... but i highly doubt that he will ever set foot on SG....

I really dunno how he can sleep at night....
          For a person who can skip out of Singapore after such act, and still made audacious comments, I can't see he will have much guilt
          -----------------------------------------
          ...in pursuit of the next crown...
          -----------------------------------------

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X