• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bras Basah flat sets HDB price record

Mar 26, 2010
    Bras Basah flat sets HDB price record
    By Jessica Cheam

The four-room flat on the 25th floor of a block (above) in Bain Street was purchased last month by a Taiwanese couple who paid $70,000 above the flat's valuation. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

A TAIWANESE couple have paid $650,000 for a four-room flat in Bain Street - smashing Housing Board (HDB) records and reflecting the strength in the red-hot resale market.

The sale price works out to be $736 per sq ft (psf) for the 30-year-old flat on the 25th floor of a block at Bras Basah.

That is the highest psf price paid for an HDB property and is on a par with prices of private homes in suburban areas.

But the Taiwanese, who are permanent residents (PRs), bought the 883 sq ft flat last month for its proximity to their work place in the City Hall area, its designer interior and panoramic views, said ERA Realty agent William Koh, who brokered the deal. The couple paid $70,000 above the flat's valuation.

The sellers were a young Singaporean couple who have a child. Both buyer and seller declined to be interviewed.

The price trumps the old record set last November when a four-room, 969 sq ft flat at Strathmore Avenue in Queenstown sold for $653,000 or $674 psf.

Housing analysts were surprised at the price achieved in Bain Street.

ERA Asia-Pacific associate director Eugene Lim said the purchase was unusual although demand 'is still strong', with upgraders, downgraders and PRs propping up the market.

The HDB recently tightened rules on the resale market. Buyers of non-subsidised HDB resale flats must now occupy their property for at least three years before they can sell it. This is up from 2.5 years or one year previously, depending on the financing.

The HDB has also imposed limits on the number of HDB flats in each block and neighbourhood that can be sold to non-Malaysian PRs to prevent the formation of foreigner enclaves.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

don't flame me but i thought that is cheap for an area like that. i was considering this one too 2 yrs back when i wanted to buy a flat for myself but this was a little old so i gave it a pass.....

i am still waiting for the 1million HDB after COE has jump so high..

Comment

The Taiwanese couple didnt know which sort of people are staying in those type of old estate.
      1 3 5
      ├┼┼╕
      2 4 6 R

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Son View Post
        The Taiwanese couple didnt know which sort of people are staying in those type of old estate.
        which sort of ppl in older estate?

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Son View Post
          Agree. Foreigners never do enough research. They better don't drive else, go home everyday must pay ERP!

Plus, the place is really old and lease quite old so another 10 years not easy for people to buy cos loan difficult to get....unless some rich developer en-bloc the place.

Comment

then i shld count myself lucky never buy here 2 yrs ago....

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
              Agree. Foreigners never do enough research. They better don't drive else, go home everyday must pay ERP!

Plus, the place is really old and lease quite old so another 10 years not easy for people to buy cos loan difficult to get....unless some rich developer en-bloc the place.
              bro that couple work in cityhall area...

Comment

The attraction of this place is there is only 2 HDB blocks around that area and surrounded by commercial buildings/ hotels etc. I hope some rich developer will en-bloc the place like what KuChingku mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by PeeCeeBee View Post
                  The attraction of this place is there is only 2 HDB blocks around that area and surrounded by commercial buildings/ hotels etc. I hope some rich developer will en-bloc the place like what KuChingku mentioned
                  May your wish come true!!
                  My Small Collection :
                  GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                  JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                  Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                  Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                  Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                  PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                  BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

wah! if kena en-bloc Alex hosay liao!!

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
                      wah! if kena en-bloc Alex hosay liao!!

That is the most critical word in that statement.

Comment

That is the most critical word in that statement.
                        bro imo chances is high! Alex dun forget me hor once hit jackpot!!

Comment

Nowaday most will have to pay for CTE (going north), PIE/ECP (going east) in the evening.......

u will be happy like a bird

Comment

BUT...if its a HDB. enblock is not gg to benefit people staying there in terms of returns. Its not like private whereby you get millions for each unit.

For HDB, usually govt will only enblock if they building another new flat within the same locality. then they will give the residents priority in choosing a unit in th new place.

but in most cases, have to top up (seldom 1-1 exchange de) and the units will usually be smaller. However, you do get a new place in a gold mine area.
                            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

If you work in town and stay in AMK worse.... everyday gonna 6-8 times ERP... so it makes no diff whether you are staying in town or outskirt....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X