Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its My Reputation (Pre Owned Watch Shop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its My Reputation (Pre Owned Watch Shop)

Hello Bros,

I have an interesting experience to share with you guys. Recently I acquired a beautiful Pam 87 (something I have been eying for a long time) from a very nice bro of mine (believed you guys know who I am referring to) and its a dream come true (for now as another grail I am looking at is the 194).

For nearly a month (Feb) I enjoyed the company of the 87 and suddenly disaster struck! I woke up at about 7.30am on 1st March and lifted up my 87 to see the time and realized the date is 29th,put it aside while I do my normal morning routine.About 8 am I change the date to the 1st March and things went normal like any other day.To my horror the date got stuck in between numbers when it should have jump to the 2nd and I knew something is wrong.

To cut it short, I monitor the date changes after numerous attempts to get it right after being advised by fellow WIS and Paneristi forum but nothing positive is coming out of it.

So off I went and browse around some pre owned shops asking about the repair jobs and servicing prices when I happened to walk into this particular shop at the corner of Lucky Plaza.This is when things get 'messy'. LOL.

Me:Uncle, something wrong with my date wheel.The date wont jump.

Uncle:Let me see your watch.(Pause)Where you buy this watch?

Me:Bought it from a good friend.

Uncle:How much you pay this for? (What relevant is that with regards my intention for a repair quote?)

Me:Ok Ok lah.Quite good price.

Uncle:This one ha,I can bet,water go in before.(WHAT!?)

Me:How can you tell?

Uncle:The winding very stiff.And your hands oxidize already,your series ha is only few years old only but oxidize already.(obviously he have not been surfing Sgroc to learn about oxidization issue on Pam Sub)

Uncle:You look at my watch(he is wearing some sort of a Radiomir looking),this one ha 30 yrs old already.See my watch hands no oxidized.Some more ha,by winding,I can feel and hear that the mechanism inside your watch,might not be original.(Are you KIDDING me?!)

Me:Er..ok.Then how much is it for a repair job on the date wheel?

Uncle:Sorry ha.I dont do quick repair jobs.If I, I do everything meaning do servicing and also will fix your date problem.After all ITS MY REPUTATION! (are you serious man? after what you have said?)

Me:Then how much uncle for servicing?

Uncle:$750 NETT.

Me:Ok uncle thanks.I will consider.

What kind of reputation is he referring to? Obviously that shop is a NO GO even to go in and browse around!Funny thing is, he mentioned that the mechanism inside my 87 might not be original but why would he quote a price for servicing then?Meaning if it prove to be fake, he would still service and charge me?Crazy!

But no worries.My 87 is back from servicing from a well known reputable shop without any info regarding my watch mechanism got contacted with water or worse still its not original.All is well now.

After all, first lesson in buying watches pre owned, BUY THE SELLER first.And I strongly have trust and faith with this particular bro.Thanks man for the 87!

Cheers.

Sorry for the long post.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
    Hello Bros,

I have an interesting experience to share with you guys. Recently I acquired a beautiful Pam 87 (something I have been eying for a long time) from a very nice bro of mine (believed you guys know who I am referring to) and its a dream come true (for now as another grail I am looking at is the 194).

For nearly a month (Feb) I enjoyed the company of the 87 and suddenly disaster struck! I woke up at about 7.30am on 1st March and lifted up my 87 to see the time and realized the date is 29th,put it aside while I do my normal morning routine.About 8 am I change the date to the 1st March and things went normal like any other day.To my horror the date got stuck in between numbers when it should have jump to the 2nd and I knew something is wrong.

To cut it short, I monitor the date changes after numerous attempts to get it right after being advised by fellow WIS and Paneristi forum but nothing positive is coming out of it.

So off I went and browse around some pre owned shops asking about the repair jobs and servicing prices when I happened to walk into this particular shop at the corner of Lucky Plaza.This is when things get 'messy'. LOL.

Me:Uncle, something wrong with my date wheel.The date wont jump.

Uncle:Let me see your watch.(Pause)Where you buy this watch?

Me:Bought it from a good friend.

Uncle:How much you pay this for? (What relevant is that with regards my intention for a repair quote?)

Me:Ok Ok lah.Quite good price.

Uncle:This one ha,I can bet,water go in before.(WHAT!?)

Me:How can you tell?

Uncle:The winding very stiff.And your hands oxidize already,your series ha is only few years old only but oxidize already.(obviously he have not been surfing Sgroc to learn about oxidization issue on Pam Sub)

Uncle:You look at my watch(he is wearing some sort of a Radiomir looking),this one ha 30 yrs old already.See my watch hands no oxidized.Some more ha,by winding,I can feel and hear that the mechanism inside your watch,might not be original.(Are you KIDDING me?!)

Me:Er..ok.Then how much is it for a repair job on the date wheel?

Uncle:Sorry ha.I dont do quick repair jobs.If I, I do everything meaning do servicing and also will fix your date problem.After all ITS MY REPUTATION! (are you serious man? after what you have said?)

Me:Then how much uncle for servicing?

Uncle:$750 NETT.

Me:Ok uncle thanks.I will consider.

What kind of reputation is he referring to? Obviously that shop is a NO GO even to go in and browse around!Funny thing is, he mentioned that the mechanism inside my 87 might not be original but why would he quote a price for servicing then?Meaning if it prove to be fake, he would still service and charge me?Crazy!

But no worries.My 87 is back from servicing from a well known reputable shop without any info regarding my watch mechanism got contacted with water or worse still its not original.All is well now.

After all, first lesson in buying watches pre owned, BUY THE SELLER first.And I strongly have trust and faith with this particular bro.Thanks man for the 87!
    Cheers.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Thanks for sharing, I'm glad that you did not jump the gun and start accusing the seller of being a 'ch*at' etc.
    The 87's one of my fav subs but I'm paranoid about the tritium flaking/falling apart issue. As for the oxidization, I was told by a dealer once that his Thai collectors insist on getting Pam subs only if they have oxidized hands....
    "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
    three times is enemy action and
    over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
    ."

Comment

Bring you PAM to reputable shop like JWwatch. Nice watch!

Comment

I used to have a fairly new 87F back then....hands oxidised. And almost all the 87s I have seen has some form of oxidisation on the hands. It is very normal. Some say 243 (the Ts) are also going to face the same thing.

Some people like it oxidised...true.

Comment

Wow! He quoted $750!? Might as well bring to Richemont to get it done for peace of mind!
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Zenith Pilot Extra Special
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

whaooo abang you FREAK me out the first time you told me abt this unker! $750 for his work,you may as well send it back to Richemont! abang thank you for your trust in me!! abang, remember keep your receipt for future warranty claim in the event if anything happens (toouch kayu). You can trust John,i always recommend them to my watch kakis.

All 87s winding feels the same,as they use the same 7750 movts. (stiff) This is a very common movt,and servicing imho shld NOT be more than 500 bucks...our fav RSC is charging for a grand!

By the way abang,big welcome to our bluee bomba club!

Comment

Pics...

Remember Bros,

If you guys want a REPUTABLE UNKER, DONT EVER go there! You guys know which shop I am referring to.

Just wanna share some pics(sorry poor quality pic taken by my Nokia E90)...

Still on OEM rubber.Just got back from servicing.

Cheers.

http://172.31.254.241/i903.photobuck...0320101098.jpg

http://172.31.254.241/i903.photobuck...0320101102.jpg

Comment

which shop? i really dono

Comment

i'm guessing it's a shop in lucky plaza!
                  There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                    i'm guessing it's a shop in lucky plaza!
                    Lucky plaza got a 2 to 3 leh... Care to share which 1?? N which shop is the 1 that u eventually go??
                    Current:
                    No More Liao...

Comment

is it tat 1 at the corner who sell preowned Pams (next to e side entrance?).....
                      Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                      Future - Geneva hallmark
                      Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
                        is it tat 1 at the corner who sell preowned Pams (next to e side entrance?).....
                        BINGOO!!!

PS. Shop retails not only Pannies...dear bro Dennis, can PM me tmr 4D first price numbers!?

Comment

i though u ard strike consolation since u didnt hand u watch to that tok loud loud unker???? u shd tell unker if got time pls goto some watches forum esp SG-ROC to improve his watches knowledge....

Mr. Unker, no offence ok if u accidentally saw this reply
                          Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                          Future - Geneva hallmark
                          Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

Spot On!

Yup Yup. Thats the shop!

The shop is always empty. No customers(Local that is). A few tourist and foreigners come and go.

Eventually I went to another shop at Great Eastern Building to do my servicing there. Skeptical? Yes as this is the first time through out my own personal experience owing few watches that I did my servicing not with an authorized SC.

Good feedback from me personally. Turn around time was quite fast as they have less servicing jobs in hand(when I send it in) and price wise :

Full Servicing = $305
                            Parts = $100
                            Total Paid = $305 + $100 + 7% (GST) = $433.35

And my 87 is back all healthy and running perfectly as it should be.

I cant stop wondering. What will the outcome be if I were to send in my 87 to the REPUTABLE UNKER...?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
                              Yup Yup. Thats the shop!

The shop is always empty. No customers(Local that is). A few tourist and foreigners come and go.

Eventually I went to another shop at Great Eastern Building to do my servicing there. Skeptical? Yes as this is the first time through out my own personal experience owing few watches that I did my servicing not with an authorized SC.

Good feedback from me personally. Turn around time was quite fast as they have less servicing jobs in hand(when I send it in) and price wise :

Full Servicing = $305
                              Parts = $100
                              Total Paid = $305 + $100 + 7% (GST) = $433.35

And my 87 is back all healthy and running perfectly as it should be.

I cant stop wondering. What will the outcome be if I were to send in my 87 to the REPUTABLE UNKER...?

Cheers
                              abang, if my memory serve me well...this shop dun know how to repair watch. But they sub con to other workshop for servicing...

John charges accordingly,and imo this is very reasonable at $305. I remembered i have my first other 87 serviced for $370 in one of the shops at LP.

abang for now,enjoy your baby to the fullest! time for some nice vintage straps to go along!!

cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X