Rites of Passage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rites of Passage

I started with a $20 Alba watch, where seiko 5 was the ultimate goal in the 70s.

Casio came along and after Citizen Watch.

Then in the early 80s and a $200+ Givenchy watch comes along. After that a series of citizens/seiko. Saw a beautiful IWC Porsche Design Compass Watch at $2000+, an astronomical sum during army days in mid 80s. Rolex was still the old man's/Ah bengs watch then, AP & PP never heard of yet. Rado scratch proof watch ceramica just launched with many ads and simply gorgeous but still out of reach. University days still wearing Seiko 5.

Started work and in the 90s, money was tight but Quartz Raymond Weil, Charles Jordan and Pierre Balmain were nice and affordable and shiny ($200-$500). Only get these few during the 90s, but starting looking at 2nd hand Rolex and pictures in magazines, and get to know AP and PP.

Information explosion in internet, and got my over 1st $1,000+ pre-owned 6694 Rolex in 2000, excited and gotten it verified/serviced in RSC. I am a ROLEX owner. I am of certain social status, so i thought. Also started looking at pre-owned watches, Omega, Chopard and such on net. Then I got a pretty good bonus in 2002 and get myself another Rolex, a blue DJ 16200 when walking by Peninsula Plaza. Happy like anything with my 1st expensive $4000+ Rolex.

From 2000 to 2009, reading on net and magazines about watches. And in between, received an pre-owned IWC Portofino as gift, bought an Oris Ltd Edition, and many weekend/leisure watches which I, myself think they are unique, Fossil MTV Ltd Edtn, Seiko chronograph, Casio Solar Power, Seiko Alarm, Guess and CK.

But as I am in my mid 40s, decided to look my age (as I imagined myself would be in my early days), must have a gold watch and got myself Omega Aqua Terra half Red-gold this year. (Rolex new gold watches are still 5 figures).

And at this stage, still love to walk into pre-owned shops,, but don't feel like dishing out thousands of dollars for a second hand watch unless really special like limited edition or out of production.

All my watches are still below 5 figures and getting closer to my current mental threshold of $10,000 watch on wrist.

Now still dreaming of another Rolex, loved the sporty and yet elegant Explorer 2 (still below $10,000), will/should/must have the robust Royal Oak (and only to find out there are many Royal Oaks, and bumble bee looks exquisite and to me still dman expensive) and think my ultimate will be PP nautilus, a watch that can be passed on to the next generation.

Any more than PP Nautilus like Tourbillon and such that are 6 figures, don't think I want to have $100,000 on my wrist. But then again, who knows.

How about you folks?

Haha, your post is so nostalgic. Remember me of those days in pri sch yearning for a G-shock, Baby-G, Alba spoon n swatch etc. Those days, these watches were so in! Always have a liking to watches since i was young.
    For me, i started out with G-shock and baby g, move on to quarts armani watches which was bought by hard-earn $ in JC. Currently in Uni now and was lucky to have save up some $ from work and gotten myself a Pam111. The thing i like about pam is that, nobody from my age group actually noes abt panerai. So wearing it every now and then wont attract the wrong attention from peers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimson View Post
      Haha, your post is so nostalgic. Remember me of those days in pri sch yearning for a G-shock, Baby-G, Alba spoon n swatch etc. Those days, these watches were so in! Always have a liking to watches since i was young.
      For me, i started out with G-shock and baby g, move on to quarts armani watches which was bought by hard-earn $ in JC. Currently in Uni now and was lucky to have save up some $ from work and gotten myself a Pam111. The thing i like about pam is that, nobody from my age group actually noes abt panerai. So wearing it every now and then wont attract the wrong attention from peers.
      Wow, u wear panerai in uni. When I was your age I only wear casio...

Comment

Casio all the way until i came into the workforce to buy my 1st rolex... Haiz...
        Current:
        No More Liao...

Comment

One goal that I am trying to reach by the end of next year is Lange Zeitwerk in white gold.

I started early, perhaps gotten the bug from my dad. He owns various Seiko Sport watches and I am into divers. Most of the watches are < 5 figures but I do enjoy having them. Each watch has its own story to be told.

Comment

Ulysse Nardin or Corum for me.
            maybe the association with ships and the sea.

btw, the anchor that comes with the old submariners are made of steel?
            Holding
            Azimuth - Jadgbomber
            Hermes - Clipper
            Orient - Diver 200m
            Perrelet* - Dual Time
            Pierre Balmain* - Gold Plaque 10 Microns Quartz
            Raymond Weil* - Don Giovanni Chronograph
            Rolex - 1603 HG (Yr 1943)
            Rolex* - 1603 HG - Golden Computer Dial (Yr 1967)
            Rolex* - 16018 Yellow Gold
            Sarcar* - Mistral Rose Gold
            Seiko* - Atlas 200m
            Seiko - Diver 200m
            Tissot* - Heritage 150 Anniversary
            Titoni* - Airmaster
            * = Sale
            Wife: even my bags don't cost as much!

Comment

Yes, the anchor is made of stainless steel.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X