Clear All

• Unfilial son in Singapore....

What is this world coming to?

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The%2BNe...27-194839.html

Granny bashing ingrate
    Fri, Jan 29, 2010
    The New Paper

By Chong Shin Yen

NO, HE did not bite the hand that fed him. He did far worse: He punched his 83-year-old grandmother's head twice, pulled her hair and threatened to stab her.

Why? Because she could only afford to give him $20.

Madam Tan Poh Teen is Seow Kok Hock's paternal grandmother. He is her favourite grandson.

She took him in when no one would raise him. And, despite his ungrateful, violent behaviour, she is caring for his two daughters.

Seow's mother had abandoned him when he was 3. His father was busy working long hours as a rag and bone man.

Madam Tan would slog as a dishwasher and cleaner, and take on odd jobs to earn a bit more to raise him.

She would scrimp and save to buy him new clothes and toys.

Pain

Fast forward 20 years. Last year, he repaid her with pain - twice.

In the latest incident, he had asked Madam Tan for money to feed his football gambling habit. He became upset when she gave him only $20.

Last Thursday, the jobless 26-year-old was jailed six months after he pleaded guilty to threatening Madam Tan and causing hurt to her.
    Seow Kok Hock, 26.

Two other charges of hurting his wife, 25, were taken into consideration during sentencing.

Yet Madam Tan does not hold it against her grandson. Her love for him was clear.

Her weather-beaten face lit up when she spoke about how Seow had "a good heart" but ended up mixing with the wrong company.

Madam Tan told The New Paper in Hokkien: "He's actually not a pai kia (Hokkien for bad child). I doted on all my nine grandchildren but I felt the most for him. He's so pitiful because his mother was not around for him."

When asked if Seow's punches had hurt her, Madam Tan was quick to defend him.

"No, no, he didn't hit me. He only pulled my hair when I refused to give him more money," she claimed.

But the court heard differently. On 2 Nov, Madam Tan and Seow were at home at her flat in Block 233, Jurong East Street 21, when he asked her for money.

Seow told his grandmother that he was in debt over football gambling.
    "He's actually not a pai kia (Hokkien for bad child)... He's so pitiful because his mother was not around for him." -Madam Tan (holding a grandchild), on Seow Kok Hock

Madam Tan initially refused to help him feed his habit. But he became aggressive. She then relented and gave him $20. But Seow was not satisfied, saying it was not enough.

When he threatened to stab her with a knife, a frightened Madam Tan tried to leave the flat.Seow grabbed her by her hair.

He then punched her twice on her head.

Madam Tan, a great-grandmother of four, managed to break free and rushed to the Jurong East Neighbourhood Police Centre to seek help.

Seow was subsequently arrested.

Recalled Madam Tan: "I was so scared that day. I went to the police hoping to scare him. I didn't know they would arrest him.

"It pains me that I caused him to end up in jail."

Madam Tan was silent when asked if it was the first timeSeow had attacked her.

Previous media reports reveal that last June, he had been jailed nine weeks for kicking Madam Tan and threatening his father.

"He spent the money on football gambling," she said. "If I had the money, I would have given him more.

"But I look after his two kids and I really don't have much to spare him."

Seow got married about three years ago. He and his wife have two daughters, aged 2 and 1.

Not much money

Madam Tan was looking after the younger child when The New Paper visited her on Monday.

Carrying the child with one arm, she said: "I'm old already. I can't take care of two children, so the elder one is at a childcare centre."

She continues to scrimp - these days for his children. Every day, her lunch is simply a cup of coffee with three biscuits.

She grinds brown rice and mixes it with milk powder to feed Seow's children.

"If I have extra money, I buy some fish for them."

Madam Tan said that Seow's wife works at a shopping mall and earns about $800 a month.

Her son - Seow's father - gives her about $200 a month while Seow's wife contributes about $130.

The furniture in the spartan four-room flat was given to them by her seven other children.

The flat belongs to Madam Tan and her late husband. Necessities like diapers are paid for by Madam Tan's other children.

Madam Tan said Seow, who used to work as a pump attendant, had been jobless for a "very long" time.

She added: "When he lost his job, I tried to help him find another one.

"I even went to his previous workplace to ask the manager to take him back. But he told me that Kok Hock turned up for work as and when he pleased, and he didn't want him back."

Madam Tan added that each time Seow bought a newspaper to look for a job, he would claim 90 cents from her.

She could not remember when he dropped out of school.

"He quarrelled with his teacher one day and, after that, he didn't go to school again," she said matter-of-factly.

Has Seow ever showed even the slightest sign of gratitude? For example, has he ever bought anything for her?

Madam Tan's reply was swift: "No, he was broke. And I'd be happy if he doesn't ask me for money."

But, she quickly added: "When his wife visited him in prison, he told her to buy a new blouse for me for Chinese New Year."

- additional reporting by Kua Chee Siong

He turns violent & threatening over demands for money

ATTACK 1

Seow Kok Hock, 26, first attacked his grandmother in July 2008.

He had asked Madam Tan Poh Teen, 83, for $700 to pay off his gambling debt.

When she refused to give him the money, he roughed her up and kicked her before the elderly woman managed to flee to safety down the stairs.

ATTACK 2

Nine months later, Seow again pestered Madam Tan for money - this time, to pay his handphone bills.

A heated quarrel ensued when she refused.

Seow's father, a rag and bone man, returned home from work while they were still arguing in the living room.

He ignored them and went to the kitchen to have his dinner.

The quarrel died down soon after and Seow went to the kitchen to smoke.

There, his father reprimanded him for asking his grandmother for money.

This infuriated Seow, who picked up a chopper from the sink and threatened his father.

The police were called and Seow was arrested and charged.

He pleaded guilty and was jailed nine weeks on 23 Jun last year.

The sentence was backdated to April, when he was first remanded.

ATTACK 3

Then, on 2 Nov, he attacked Madam Tan for giving him only $20.

The next day, around 1pm, Seow hurt his wife by hitting her on her head and trying to strangle her. He also kicked her back with his leg.

He was charged with criminal intimidation and voluntarily causing hurt. Last week, he was jailed six months.

For criminal intimidation, he could have been jailed seven years and fined.

For voluntarily causing hurt, he could have been jailed two years and fined.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

some people are so rotten that they should just die...

Comment

No money to gamble, take it out on Grand mother.........

He should be sentence to not just jail, but also to serve in old age home after he complete his terms.

Sad story......
      My Small Collection :
      GMT II 16710 Coke U series
      JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
      Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
      Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
      Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
      PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
      BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

wtf? like this also have ah? crazy bastard!!
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

#$%^&*@#$@!!!

Comment

feed him to the dogs
            Opportunities come once

Comment

sigh, some people really have no conscience....
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Every monday, 8pm Channel 8. You'll know 25% of our population is really damn poor.
                I own a Rolex !

Comment

sick
                  I'm a super low-baller

Comment

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post
                    Every monday, 8pm Channel 8. You'll know 25% of our population is really damn poor.
                    Cannot be lah... u got the facts wrong

Based on facts pls Bro....

Comment

How can this happened in a gracious city like Singapore!

Comment

high class living standard, low class character.

Comment

*phui!*
                          sure kenna retribution one day.
                          "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                          three times is enemy action and
                          over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                          ."

Comment

NB, f#*king coward to bully an old woman, somemore on someone who loves him so much. bastard chio him 1-to-1 .....

Comment

i pity his grandma but most of all i pity him.
                              he does not know how to control his emotion n communicate in the right way and in the end hurt the person who loves him the most.
                              her love is so unconditional even though his rage was bringing out the worst in him, she only saw the good in him.
                              hope he could reflect on his actions and learn from it.
                              grandma is not gonna live forever for him to say sorry.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X