It's Here At Last - iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Here At Last - iPad

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - – Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Wednesday revealed the culture-changing company's latest must-have device, a touchscreen tablet computer annointed the "iPad."

"We want to kick off 2010 by introducing a truly magical and revolutionary product," said Jobs, who underwent a liver transplant last year and was making just his second public appearance since September.

The long-awaited iPad has a 9.7-inch (24.6-centimeter) color screen and resembles an oversized iPhone. It is 0.5 inches (1.3 cms) thick, weighs 1.5 pounds (0.7 kgs) and comes with 16, 32, or 64 gigabytes of flash memory.

The cheapest iPad model, with Wi-Fi connectivity and 16GB of memory, is 499 dollars while the most expensive -- which includes 3G connectivity and 64GB of memory -- costs 829 dollars.

"I think it's a home run," said Gartner analyst Van Baker. "It becomes a viable alternative to a netbook and I get the 140,000 applications in the App Store. It is a pretty compelling value."

Apple said it would start shipping the iPad, which has a virtual keyboard but can also be hooked up to an external keyboard, within 60 days, making them available worldwide in late March.

The 3G version will reach the market in late April.

Dressed in his trademark blue jeans, black turtleneck and sneakers, Jobs appeared on stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater to unveil a product that had been the subject of months of speculation.

Walking around the stage or sitting on a couch, he showed off iPad features which include browsing the Internet, doing email, working with spreadsheets and charts, playing videogames, listening to music or watching video.

Jobs, who appeared thin but healthy, said Apple was launching an online "iBookstore" for the iPad and touted its abilities as an electronic reader of books, newspapers and magazines.

"You can have black-and-white, color, video in your books -- whatever the author wants," he said. "We think the iPad is going to make a terrific e-book reader, not just for popular books but for textbooks as well.

"Amazon has done a great job of pioneering this functionality with the Kindle," Jobs said. "We are going to stand on their shoulders."

The legendary Apple CEO said the iPad has support from five of the biggest publishers in the world and that Apple will "open the floodgates for the rest of the publishers starting this afternoon."

Some technology analysts expect the iPad to pose a challenge to other e-readers while a number of publishers are counting on the device to sell digital versions of their publications.

The New York Times, Time magazine and National Geographic were among the partners whose content was displayed on the device on Wednesday.

Apple said that besides serving as an e-reader, the iPad runs all of the applications available through the Apple App Store for the iPod and iPhone.

"If you are thinking about buying a Kindle, you are probably reconsidering that decision. If you are a developer, you have one more reason to develop applications for Apple," said Interpret analyst Michael Gartenberg.

Apple simultaneiously released a kit for software developers to tailor applications for the iPad.

Jobs said he expected the device to carve out a place between the laptop computer and the smartphone.

"Do we have what it takes to establish a third category of products in between a laptop and a smartphone?" he asked. "We think we've done it."

Jobs said the iPad is "so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable than a smartphone."

He said it has about 10 hours of battery life. "I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole way on one charge," Jobs said.

"In general it was a hit," said analyst Rob Enderle of Silicon Valley's Enderle Group, although he expressed some doubt about the inadequate wireless network of telecom carrier AT&T.

"I think this is disruptive for a lot of markets," Enderle said.

"I have a hard time believing after seeing this that folks are going to want an e-reader that just does plain text and doesn't do format or color," he said.

Enderle believed iPads could "do some severe damage" to the gaming market, initially to hand-held gaming systems then eventually to videogame consoles.

"I think the iPad is going to do well for them," said NPD Group analyst Ross Rubin. "I wouldn't want to be a competitor in this space at this point in time."

Apple shares closed 0.99 percent higher at 207.98 dollars.

so, Apple decided to introduce a pad
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

ipad = fail!

im not paying US$600 for a tablet that has a closed OS. Give me my OSX
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
        ipad = fail!

im not paying US$600 for a tablet that has a closed OS. Give me my OSX
        For OSX, you have the MacBook Air...

This is just like an enlarged Ipod Touch....

Like what Job said: This device is in between an Iphone and a Macbook. It may not be as powerful as a Macbook when it comes to functionality like editing but it is going to be a powerful tool when it comes to browsing and photo viewing..

I see it as a very potential product.

Anyone feels like apple is taking over the world? Ipod, Iphone is almost everywhere.. more common than Nokia handphones in the past

Comment

Steve knows that iPad is so bad that ppl will only use it once a month....

Comment

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
                For OSX, you have the MacBook Air...

This is just like an enlarged Ipod Touch.... ..
                for the price of MBA, i will get a windows ultraportable, and hack it to run OSX. An ultraportable with one usb, one mini-dvi, and no expansion for dock, 3/4 express, and what not is pretty stupid. imo the MBA was another dumb product.

currently the only products that appeal to me is 27" imac, mac pro and iphone.
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sinner View Post
                  SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - – Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Wednesday revealed the culture-changing company's latest must-have device, a touchscreen tablet computer annointed the "iPad."

"We want to kick off 2010 by introducing a truly magical and revolutionary product," said Jobs, who underwent a liver transplant last year and was making just his second public appearance since September.

The long-awaited iPad has a 9.7-inch (24.6-centimeter) color screen and resembles an oversized iPhone. It is 0.5 inches (1.3 cms) thick, weighs 1.5 pounds (0.7 kgs) and comes with 16, 32, or 64 gigabytes of flash memory.

The cheapest iPad model, with Wi-Fi connectivity and 16GB of memory, is 499 dollars while the most expensive -- which includes 3G connectivity and 64GB of memory -- costs 829 dollars.

"I think it's a home run," said Gartner analyst Van Baker. "It becomes a viable alternative to a netbook and I get the 140,000 applications in the App Store. It is a pretty compelling value."

Apple said it would start shipping the iPad, which has a virtual keyboard but can also be hooked up to an external keyboard, within 60 days, making them available worldwide in late March.

The 3G version will reach the market in late April.

Dressed in his trademark blue jeans, black turtleneck and sneakers, Jobs appeared on stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater to unveil a product that had been the subject of months of speculation.

Walking around the stage or sitting on a couch, he showed off iPad features which include browsing the Internet, doing email, working with spreadsheets and charts, playing videogames, listening to music or watching video.

Jobs, who appeared thin but healthy, said Apple was launching an online "iBookstore" for the iPad and touted its abilities as an electronic reader of books, newspapers and magazines.

"You can have black-and-white, color, video in your books -- whatever the author wants," he said. "We think the iPad is going to make a terrific e-book reader, not just for popular books but for textbooks as well.

"Amazon has done a great job of pioneering this functionality with the Kindle," Jobs said. "We are going to stand on their shoulders."

The legendary Apple CEO said the iPad has support from five of the biggest publishers in the world and that Apple will "open the floodgates for the rest of the publishers starting this afternoon."

Some technology analysts expect the iPad to pose a challenge to other e-readers while a number of publishers are counting on the device to sell digital versions of their publications.

The New York Times, Time magazine and National Geographic were among the partners whose content was displayed on the device on Wednesday.

Apple said that besides serving as an e-reader, the iPad runs all of the applications available through the Apple App Store for the iPod and iPhone.

"If you are thinking about buying a Kindle, you are probably reconsidering that decision. If you are a developer, you have one more reason to develop applications for Apple," said Interpret analyst Michael Gartenberg.

Apple simultaneiously released a kit for software developers to tailor applications for the iPad.

Jobs said he expected the device to carve out a place between the laptop computer and the smartphone.

"Do we have what it takes to establish a third category of products in between a laptop and a smartphone?" he asked. "We think we've done it."

Jobs said the iPad is "so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable than a smartphone."

He said it has about 10 hours of battery life. "I can take a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo and watch video the whole way on one charge," Jobs said.

"In general it was a hit," said analyst Rob Enderle of Silicon Valley's Enderle Group, although he expressed some doubt about the inadequate wireless network of telecom carrier AT&T.

"I think this is disruptive for a lot of markets," Enderle said.

"I have a hard time believing after seeing this that folks are going to want an e-reader that just does plain text and doesn't do format or color," he said.

Enderle believed iPads could "do some severe damage" to the gaming market, initially to hand-held gaming systems then eventually to videogame consoles.

"I think the iPad is going to do well for them," said NPD Group analyst Ross Rubin. "I wouldn't want to be a competitor in this space at this point in time."

Apple shares closed 0.99 percent higher at 207.98 dollars.
                  I was told iPad unable to support Flashplayer.If it true...I won't bite tis piece of new fruit liao.

Comment

It's not even a maxi size iPhone because even with the extra 3G module, this cannot be used as a phone.

No, it does not support Flash (you can see the NYT website during the demo with broken flash icon).

Sorry Apple, if I would have wanted an eBook reader, I'd settle with Kindle or Sony.

GPS is still unknown. For the price, I would rather get myself a netbook with HD display and 3G+GPS card, which I am sure will be more powerful but not less portable than this device.

Comment

Originally posted by johnfish View Post
                      I was told iPad unable to support Flashplayer.If it true...I won't bite tis piece of new fruit liao.
                      seems that way as i noticed during Steve's keynote address.
                      plus i don't think it can support LAN, only wireless connectivity.
                      i certainly won't bite.

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                        for the price of MBA, i will get a windows ultraportable, and hack it to run OSX. An ultraportable with one usb, one mini-dvi, and no expansion for dock, 3/4 express, and what not is pretty stupid. imo the MBA was another dumb product.

currently the only products that appeal to me is 27" imac, mac pro and iphone.
                        Can u help me with hacking?? I am very keen to learn..

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                          Steve knows that iPad is so bad that ppl will only use it once a month....
                          What's a big fuss about tis ipad which last only 10hrs? 24 Walk-in 7-eleven would get u any pad that last u entire day...I guess.Perhap u may ask the ladies . LOL!

Comment

Look here...what kind joke apple svc is pulling !!

Originally posted by johnfish View Post
                            What's a big fuss about tis ipad which last only 10hrs? 24 Walk-in 7-eleven would get u any pad that last u entire day...I guess.Perhap u may ask the ladies . LOL!

That will be the last thing to do if warranty run out. Those apple's spare-parts prices is rather shocking thru.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X