Have you ever felt like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever felt like...

Selling most of your collection away to 'restart', collecting only the watches that you can't live without, the dream pieces?

I've just been thinking about my collection and my initial purchases and I was wondering if anyone else ever felt like 'restarting' their collection.

Just curious to find out what you guys think and no there's no right answer so no wars on this thread please
    fallraen
    "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Originally posted by fallraen View Post
    Selling most of your collection away to 'restart', collecting only the watches that you can't live without, the dream pieces?

I've just been thinking about my collection and my initial purchases and I was wondering if anyone else ever felt like 'restarting' their collection.

Just curious to find out what you guys think and no there's no right answer so no wars on this thread please

I don have much to begin with keke.

N even if i sell all, i wont b able to afford that PP.

But if you feel like wat u stated above, it just tells me that u are a bit bored with ur current watch and want to get more

when can a person actually b sure that the watch bought is the watch he can live without?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
      when can a person actually b sure that the watch bought is the watch he can live without?
      Actually I like to believe that my watch collection is slightly above entry level however, I'm thinking... in afew years time, I probably be saving for that ONE watch per year and was thinking perhaps I should start now hahaha...

'Cause right now, I'm quite new to this 'hobby' and I go 'wow whee' at every watch I deem to be nice. I scour the net for so called 'good' deals and jump on them. I have bought afew watches impulsively and I'm beginning to feel the pinch.

My heart now is thinking... perhaps I should have just bought that Fifty Fathoms, Tribute to Polaris or even a preowned Nautilus Jumbo (okaye this watch is abit over the top at the moment).... Perhaps I would have felt more satisfied knowing I bought the watches I and probably many others consider to be the 'grail' lol.
      fallraen
      "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

i believe most of us go through the phase of wanting to sell this to get that. why? because wants are unlimited. resources are limited.

that is why i have mentioned to you. sit down and consider carefully what your collection you like to have. then sit down which brands you like to have. look at what each brands you eyeing for is their grail watch to you. like if someone ask me what is the grail for rolex. without a doubt, daytona.
        what is the brand signature piece, like JLC is good for their alarm.

when some of these qs are answered, the watch may presents itself. u dont need to go look for them. after which, sit down and look @ the watch for 2 months. if end of 2nd month, u still like tat watch, get it.

also be patient when buying a watch. sometimes, your friends will dropped in subtle hints. u got to learn to pick them up. my shifu thought me - wait for the watch to come to you.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

A clean house invite more spirits

Have you heard of the saying of a house swept clean of an evil spirit inviting seven more spirits into it. Just not too long ago, I got rid of my collection of three Rolex Datejusts, one Oris, one Longines. The liquidation led to more purchases - submariner, gmt master II, omega speedmaster, 6694, Steinharts, Pam homages, Seiko divers. Now I am worse off than before - more cash sunk into watches. No doubt, these are relatively "affordable" ranges; but what happens when you move to different level, AP, PP? Watch collection is really an obsessive compulsive disorder, which tends to get worse, with evefy restart. So, DON"T!

Comment

Originally posted by fallraen View Post
            I know what you mean.
            Looking at my transaction records recently, I realised that over 4-5 years i have sold over 25 watches, some models of which i bought, sold and then bought again after experiencing sellers' remorse.
            At end of 2009, I decided to take a hard look at my collection and I decided that those that i was not wearing (or not as often) must go, the monies obtained will then go towards funding a grail piece. And now i have 13-15 pieces waiting for buyers.
            One lesson I have learnt is to be more focused. I now tell myself to hold back 2-3 wks before getting a watch. After 2-3 wks, if the lust is still there, then I grab. Sofar, this approach has saved me from getting a Grand Seiko, a Seiko TunaCan, a Pam 1, a Pam 25, a Pam 249, a JLC Polaris, a IWC Portofino and a IWC Cal. 5000.
            Hopefully, my collection wlll eventually trim down to 2 x Omegas (acquired), 1 X Minor Grail, 1 X Major Grail, 2 X Pams (only 1 acquired) = 6 in all.
            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
            three times is enemy action and
            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
            ."

Comment

I've learnt alot from the big boys here...so i m avoiding some mistakes which i learnt from them.

2 Daily beaters, Hamilton and Tag Heuer. Tag is a must have for my age grp,so I cannot miss it out...but I m not spending too much..1 Tag F1 that's it. Hamilton is a value for money piece, automatic,sapphire crystal,swiss...that was my criteria 4 years ago.

my collection is quite simple for Rolex...1 Rolex Datejust,1 Submariner and 1 solid gold piece..most probably sport or Daydate. Only short of the solid gold before I go to Pam or PP.

In between maybe a Panerai...

The next stop is PP...

In general, I won't have many watches, I have to really focus and get the watches which I feel have value and I love.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

cooling off period. i like. though short than mine, i say it is a good move to decide if you lust or love a watch

Originally posted by triton View Post
                when some of these qs are answered, the watch may presents itself. u dont need to go look for them. after which, sit down and look @ the watch for 2 months. if end of 2nd month, u still like tat watch, get it.
                Originally posted by Ender View Post
                One lesson I have learnt is to be more focused. I now tell myself to hold back 2-3 wks before getting a watch. After 2-3 wks, if the lust is still there, then I grab.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                  I know what you mean.
                  Looking at my transaction records recently, I realised that over 4-5 years i have sold over 25 watches, some models of which i bought, sold and then bought again after experiencing sellers' remorse.
                  At end of 2009, I decided to take a hard look at my collection and I decided that those that i was not wearing (or not as often) must go, the monies obtained will then go towards funding a grail piece. And now i have 13-15 pieces waiting for buyers.
                  One lesson I have learnt is to be more focused. I now tell myself to hold back 2-3 wks before getting a watch. After 2-3 wks, if the lust is still there, then I grab. Sofar, this approach has saved me from getting a Grand Seiko, a Seiko TunaCan, a Pam 1, a Pam 25, a Pam 249, a JLC Polaris, a IWC Portofino and a IWC Cal. 5000.
                  Hopefully, my collection wlll eventually trim down to 2 x Omegas (acquired), 1 X Minor Grail, 1 X Major Grail, 2 X Pams (only 1 acquired) = 6 in all.

Care to list the 13 pieces waiting for buyers? May wish to add on to our collection... heh heh
                  Holding
                  Azimuth - Jadgbomber
                  Hermes - Clipper
                  Orient - Diver 200m
                  Perrelet* - Dual Time
                  Pierre Balmain* - Gold Plaque 10 Microns Quartz
                  Raymond Weil* - Don Giovanni Chronograph
                  Rolex - 1603 HG (Yr 1943)
                  Rolex* - 1603 HG - Golden Computer Dial (Yr 1967)
                  Rolex* - 16018 Yellow Gold
                  Sarcar* - Mistral Rose Gold
                  Seiko* - Atlas 200m
                  Seiko - Diver 200m
                  Tissot* - Heritage 150 Anniversary
                  Titoni* - Airmaster
                  * = Sale
                  Wife: even my bags don't cost as much!

Comment

Every collector goes thru this stage.

At one stage, I left pam as I wanted to move away from those chucky watch.

Less than 3 months, I felt lost. So, start getting back those that I like, at a higher price. That's why I had 2 x 24 and 2 x 190.

My wife limits me to only only the slots in the watch case (10). So, I try to adhere but my office safe got space.

Eventually, I would like to have only some pieces/grail.

2 X PP (1X5712 & 1X5130)
                    1X AP (EOD or RB2)
                    2X IWC (Portuguese 5000 & BP 5002)
                    2X JLC (Polaris & Reverso)
                    5X Rolex (1655, 1675, 5513, 1680, 6264)
                    5X Pam (1A, 2A, 190, 24A, 203)
                    1X Urwerk (103)
                    2X Lange (Lange 1 Moonphase or timezone & Datograph)
                    1X Omega (Cal 321)

Red denote current stable.

This is really dream only. By the time I can get 1/2 of the list above, I'm probably ner retirement and need to sell them off to buy food.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      i believe most of us go through the phase of wanting to sell this to get that. why? because wants are unlimited. resources are limited.

that is why i have mentioned to you. sit down and consider carefully what your collection you like to have. then sit down which brands you like to have. look at what each brands you eyeing for is their grail watch to you. like if someone ask me what is the grail for rolex. without a doubt, daytona.
                      what is the brand signature piece, like JLC is good for their alarm.

also be patient when buying a watch. sometimes, your friends will dropped in subtle hints. u got to learn to pick them up. my shifu thought me - wait for the watch to come to you.
                      I tried the cooling off method but end up the watch was sold and the search begins again for some months.
                      Now, I think of what I am looking out for and try to stay focused.

Comment

It does happen to me but most of the time I will experience seller's remorse like what has been described earlier.

So far limiting to number of watches in the collection will not work, even with tight regulatory (i.e.: the missus, etc.). We will tend to overshoot that number (for sure).

So another way to look at it is from budget point of view. Limit your spending to X amount of money and stick to it. If there is a strong need, top it up by selling the watch(es) that you feel doesn't fit well. Don't overdraw your budget... That's very important.

This year am concentrating to acquire (one) watch: Lange Zeitwerk in white gold, black dial and probably this will last me many years ahead.

Happy collecting!

ps: it's not about the price tag but how you perceive the watch. Buy and enjoy wearing it

Comment

The thing I like about this hobby is that it grows with you. As your needs change, priorities shift and your financials evolve, so does your collection! I have since revamped my collection 3 times since 1990 and in the process of doing it again now! haha..

Comment

I prefer the feeling of getting more n more. So restart is not an option for me. Cheers
                            Current:
                            No More Liao...

Comment

Originally posted by theOrion View Post
                              The thing I like about this hobby is that it grows with you. As your needs change, priorities shift and your financials evolve, so does your collection! I have since revamped my collection 3 times since 1990 and in the process of doing it again now! haha..
                              I'm with you Bro. Priorities shift and hence the watches might need to move. Ha haha... ... R u expecting a 2nd one ?
                              the Trails and the Ocean !

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X