X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM Lee: New flats stay affordable..

HDB flats affordable: Mah

By Goh Chin Lian SENIOR POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Eight in 10 Singaporean households qualify for the various housing grants the Government gives to flat buyers, even those who buy resale flats. -- ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

AMID concerns about escalating prices of resale flats, National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan yesterday assured Singaporeans that HDB flats remain affordable to most.

He said first-time households use on average less than 30 per cent of their household income to service their housing loans, which is within the yardstick the Government uses to measure affordability.

Also, eight in 10 Singaporean households qualify for the various housing grants the Government gives to flat buyers, even those who buy resale flats.

He was responding to four MPs who queried the affordability of HDB flats, including Ms Jessica Tan (East Coast GRC), who was worried that young couples could not qualify for housing grants. She wanted the $8,000 income ceiling to qualify for a new HDB flat or to be eligible for a grant to buy a resale flat to be raised.

Mr Mah rejected the request, saying, 'There must be a limit to the number who can qualify.'

For households whose incomes just exceed the $8,000 cap, he said the Government will put up more executive condominium sites for sale next year. First-time buyers whose incomes are under $10,000 can get a $30,000 grant.

Mr Mah also pointed to two other measures that make HDB flats affordable: One is the Additional Housing Grant given to households earning less than $5000 to help them own their first homes.

Another is the income ceilings imposed on buyers of new two-room and three-room flats, at $2,000 and $3,000 respectively.

'This ensures that the higher-income households do not compete with lower-income households for the smaller flat types, thus enhancing their affordability,' he said.

To further allay MPs' concerns, he produced a chart showing the prices of new flats in non-mature estates and how these compared to the incomes of their buyers.
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Me still can't afford 1... sad
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Title shld be "HDB flats affordable Mah?" instead
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

500K for new flats? Got to be kidd!
        My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
        Rolex Submariner 16610
        Rolex Submariner 116610
        Rolex Date 1550
        IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
        IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
        Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
        Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
        Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
        Seiko Sumo SBDC001
        Seiko Sumo SBDC003
        Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
        Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
          Title shld be "HDB flats affordable Mah?" instead
          gov say : HDB flats affordable mah .... hahaa

ppl say : HDB flats affordable meh ? .... hahaa ...

Comment

i say: HDB flats affordable? mad..

Just me and my NT...

Comment

PM Lee: New flats stay affordable..

Jan 26, 2010

New flats stay affordable

By Jeremy Au Yong

WHILE the Government will keep the prices of new Housing Board (HDB) flats in check, it has less control over prices in the resale market.

This state of affairs was highlighted by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Tuesday night when he commented for the first time on what has been one of the hottest topics of discussion.

Speaking at a gala dinner to mark the HDB's 50th anniversary, Mr Lee stressed the Government was committed to keeping HDB flats affordable and that its new flats are priced within the means of the vast majority of Singaporeans.

On top of that, it would also build enough new flats to cater to demand as the population grows. In fact, to cap its 50th year, the HDB will build its 1 millionth flat this year.

However, the Government does not have control over the prices of resale flats, he said.

His explanation: 'These resale prices are set by individual households who transact flats on a willing buyer, willing seller basis, and are affected by movements and sentiments in the wider economy, including the private property market. Hence, resale prices of HDB flats will fluctuate from year-to-year.'

Read the full report in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

cheap HDB flats should be our entitlement, our right as Singapore citizens.

off he goes if by the next few elections if he doesn't live up to his promises...
                Opportunities come once

Comment

With the inflation and drastic increase of HDB flats over the years is no way able to justify based on our salary increase ($50 or $20 per year? or bosses these days will say business is poor and freeze increament).

The word "affordable" for the price of HDB these days is very hard to define and do justice to the middle and low income group.

The next generation will have a very tough times ahead....

Comment

Prices have risen to ridiculous levels! I remember 20yrs ago or so, a five-room flat can be got for $100k in a good area, and a Semi-D or Bungalow of 6000-7000 sq feet can be bought at $600k.

Now prices have increased three to four-fold but our salaries have not met such corresponding increments.

Sigh!
                    Sweet 16:
                    PP Aquanaut
                    VC Overseas
                    AP ROO Black Themes
                    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                    Breguet Type XXI
                    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                    JLC Navy Seals
                    GO Senator 60s
                    GP Laureato
                    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                    Rolex DSSD
                    IWC Big Pilot
                    Pam 112
                    Omega Ploprof
                    Breitling Super Avenger
                    Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
                      Prices have risen to ridiculous levels! I remember 20yrs ago or so, a five-room flat can be got for $100k in a good area, and a Semi-D or Bungalow of 6000-7000 sq feet can be bought at $600k.

Now prices have increased three to four-fold but our salaries have not met such corresponding increments.

Sigh!

We are always amazed by the good news provided by our govt
                      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Property prices have gone through the roof. Soon a property / asset bubble will build and when that burst, a lot of people will be in trouble... Govt still not doing enouh to cool things down.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X