Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another female NTU student committed suicide..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another female NTU student committed suicide..

Another NTU female student Yan Junru committed suicide by jumping from her flat

Barely two weeks after the unfortunate suicide of NTU student Cheryl Tan Qiwei, another NTU female student has committed suicide by jumping from the 24th storey of her flat two days ago on 23 January 2010.

Yan was a 21 year old student from NTU Engineering. She had withdrawn from NTU and applied to study in the Singapore Institute of Management after the last school term.

Shin Min Daily speculated that she committed suicide due to stress over her schoolwork.

When interviewed, her parents claimed that they were not aware of what happened to her and she did not exhibit any suicide tendency on the day before her death.

Over a hundred friends from her secondary school, junior college and NTU attended her wake yesterday.

Source: Temasek Review/Sin Min Daily.

Something is seriously wrong there or wat??
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

It is so sad! Why commit suicide? What a waste of life!

Comment

its really sad to see this kind of news... So sad when i saw her sweet face on papers...

seems like she wasn't under stress.. based on this report..

A close friend of NTU student Cheryl Tan Qiwei who shocked the NTU fraternity by jumping to her death from her flat three days ago had written to us to dispute the claims by the state media that she committed suicide due to “stress” in her school work.

Chinese evening newspaper Lianhe Wanbao speculated yesterday that Cheryl might have ended her life because of “stress”.

According to her close friend who wishes to remain anonymous, Cheryl has been “depressed” for quite some time, but she declined to reveal the real reasons behind her low mood.

“She (Cheryl) has a very gloomy outlook on her life and is pessimistic about everything though she tries to put up a facade of being happy and cheerful in front of others. I notice that she suddenly closed up in the last few days. It is so difficult to talk to her and I blame myself for not spending more time with her.”

Her account was corroborated by another friend of Cheryl who recounted what a senior in Cheryl’s cell group told her:

“A senior of her in the sharing group said that she knows, when Cheryl is not smiling, it means that something really happened. I sensed that this girl had things troubling her really badly. A very tormented soul – that what left an impression in me, at that point of time..and that’s how I could recall.”

[Source: 24hr Porky Love]

She also dismissed the Wanbao’s claims as “pure rubbish”:

“Cheryl was an excellent student who never encountered any problems in her school work. I hope the media can put a stop all these meaningless speculations and leave her family and friends alone in peace.”

Apparently, some SPH reporters had been trying to contact Cheryl’s grieving parents and friends for an interview over the past two days.

Another friend of Cheryl left a comment on our site:

“I’m an acquaintance of Cheryl. Feel shocked and sad at her loss, and made me rethink about my life. The last time I’ve chatted with her, we were still discussing about our future and the profession we’re going to enter. This news affected a few of my friends as well. Suicide is still a personal decision, no matter what are the factors. You’ll be missed, Cheryl.”

The Singapore media has the knack of propagating wild speculations about such suicide cases.

Last year, the media attributed the suicides of NTU student David Widjaja and SAF Medical Officer Dr Allan Ooi to “over-indulgence in computer games, relationship problems and addiction to gambling”, causing much distress, agony and anger to their families.

In 1986, then National Development Minister Teh Chean Wan committed suicide before he could be formally charged in court for corrupted practices. He maintained till the end that he was innocent.

Both the English and Chinese papers published only a short article about the case. There were no speculations about the “story” behind his suicide which had been circulating around.
      A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Singapore is becoming Stressapore..... My daughter is only attending her 2nd week in her pri one and looking at her Hanyupingying spelling, I am stress too... did I spell "Hanyupingying" correctly???

Comment

so stressful to study these days.... Makes me wonder why these parents are pushing their kids so hard... Sometimes, its self-imposed stress... too much comparison between peers i believe...

My belief is to stay contented all the time, though i would say its easier said than done as i have tried... But its important to remind ourselves this thing now and then...

Comment

Originally posted by sportee View Post
            so stressful to study these days.... Makes me wonder why these parents are pushing their kids so hard... Sometimes, its self-imposed stress... too much comparison between peers i believe...

My belief is to stay contented all the time, though i would say its easier said than done as i have tried... But its important to remind ourselves this thing now and then...
            agree but its really hard to balance. believe this is not an isolated case in the world.

lots of parents worry abt their kids future if they do not do well in sch due to being playful or stuff like that. If due to abilities then no choice, but most parents don believe in that. Everywhere is competitive and honestly, without that piece of paper, its hard to even get your first job. parents cant take care of their children forever. Hence, have to make sure they go good sch, top the sch, score good grades blah blah blah...(i.e. paper chase)

I know its hard to get a good permanent job because I have been dwindling between contracts ever since I graduated. Never gotten a perm job cos my grades werent good. Even my current company told me cannot convert me to perm because no headcount -> but I still see people with 2nd upper, 1st class honors coming in as perm staff.

More so stressful when more FT come in (was in the 11 pm news ytd. Believe govt are gg to try and attract more talented FT to cover for the dwindling population in singapore, as well as to encourage more competition.).
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Must join your girl for class as well liao la..

Its Han Yu Pin yin...

Some people study until siao...

There are also some pple play until siao... See what kind of school you go la..

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              Singapore is becoming Stressapore..... My daughter is only attending her 2nd week in her pri one and looking at her Hanyupingying spelling, I am stress too... did I spell "Hanyupingying" correctly???

Comment

Simi stress !?

"Pressure is working down the pit. Pressure is having no work at all. Pressure is trying to escape relegation on 50 shillings a week. Pressure is not the European Cup or the Championship or the Cup final. That's the reward." - Shankly
                I own a Rolex !

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X