McDonald's says sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's says sorry

MCDONALD'S apologised to Singapore on Friday and brought a pig back to its toy menu, after a decision to leave the animal out of its Chinese zodiac collection upset many in the predominantly ethnic Chinese nation.

McDonald's this month started selling cartoon character miniatures depicting the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac calendar, but the pig was replaced by love god Cupid as McDonald's said it did not want to offend Muslims.

But the move, just ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday and Valentine's Day in February, backfired as many Chinese customers complained in chatrooms and blogs that they would not have a chance to buy the animal sign of their birth year.

'We're sorry, and we're grateful,' the fast food chain said in a half-page advertisement in the Straits Times newspaper, saying it never intended to offend anyone.

'I understand that we need to respect our Muslim citizens as Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural society,' Ms Pauline Koh, whose daughter was born in the Year of Pig, wrote to the Straits Times. 'However, in this case, the Pig is one of the Chinese zodiac signs - part of Chinese culture and customs - and it is just a soft toy, not food.' -- REUTERS

Over a soft toy???
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

MC D shouldn't sell beef then because need to respect the Hindu community... :P
    I'm a super low-baller

Comment

arggggggg... i bought the first 3 during their launch.. then decided not to continue buying cox no pig....

So now, they sell pig... hw i going to buy back the other zodiacs?

Self-Pwned..
      A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

It is not just about soft toy.....

Comment

Originally posted by Muachee View Post
          MC D shouldn't sell beef then because need to respect the Hindu community... :P
          Well said muachee. Mac just talking @&$(&( haha if really wanna respect don sell beef lor. Just that the r fewer Hindu that y they bo chap. They need to understand there r so much more Chinese in sg so better don make us angry or i boycott mac. Pls intro the pork burger. Like this also more choice for us consumers. I was very angry with mac cause I think They did wrongly by not introducing the pig soft toy. They should have introduce it when it 1st came out. I mean if u include it then consumers have the choice of either buying it or not? But if never includes, we won't even have a choice.

Comment

This is not boleh land lah. Stupid Mc you know now there are more and more PRCs that patron you? So why want to offend the majority?

Comment

Now those who stopped buying becos no pig can never get a full set. They shd release the series again. I remember last time (1990s) also got Muppet babies toys, think got Ms. Piglet and that time got Halal somemore.

I think multi-cultural means to tolerate and respect others. We respect our muslim friends by not eating pork in front of them. They in turn also respect us for our zodiac signs. Which is proven by polls in the newspapers that they are not bothered or offended at all. So... wrong move this time really... And the fact the toy is actually a cat!

Comment

Originally posted by Haolian King View Post
                Now those who stopped buying becos no pig can never get a full set. They shd release the series again. I remember last time (1990s) also got Muppet babies toys, think got Ms. Piglet and that time got Halal somemore.

I think multi-cultural means to tolerate and respect others. We respect our muslim friends by not eating pork in front of them. They in turn also respect us for our zodiac signs. Which is proven by polls in the newspapers that they are not bothered or offended at all. So... wrong move this time really... And the fact the toy is actually a cat!
                Actually can eat pork in front of them. Just that they cannot touch or eat pork. Not so sure if you have a muslim gf can you eat pork chop and then kiss her?
                Actually only some people will not come near you if you eat pork, most muslim I know has no issue. My uncle married 1 and she has no issue with us eating pork ribs on the same table. She just eat her own halah food lor. Those who won't be near you if you eat pork won't do many other things too, like shakehand with you, be in the same office room with you alone etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                  Actually can eat pork in front of them. Just that they cannot touch or eat pork. Not so sure if you have a muslim gf can you eat pork chop and then kiss her?
                  Actually only some people will not come near you if you eat pork, most muslim I know has no issue. My uncle married 1 and she has no issue with us eating pork ribs on the same table. She just eat her own halah food lor. Those who won't be near you if you eat pork won't do many other things too, like shakehand with you, be in the same office room with you alone etc.
                  Agree with you. What I'm saying is that when I eat with my Muslim friends, I restrain from eating pork or drinking alcohol.

Well as for kissing I don't know... My chinese friend married a muslim wife and he completely stop eating pork.

Comment

i got muslim friends, that eat pork too?!
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Never collect as tiger was sold out.
                      Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

maybe we will see a long long queue to buy the "pig" just like hello kitty years ago...:P

Comment

Any have any pixs of e toys?
                          "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                            Cannot. But I didn't really care. It depends on the girl really.
                            People & Life Are Like Push-Up Bra. They Often Parade Themselves With A False Sense Of Being & Confidence. The Underlying Truth Are Often Much Less Tantalizing. - Benjamin L

Comment

Originally posted by Haolian King View Post
                              Agree with you. What I'm saying is that when I eat with my Muslim friends, I restrain from eating pork or drinking alcohol.

Well as for kissing I don't know... My chinese friend married a muslim wife and he completely stop eating pork.
                              Your friend have already converted to Muslim. I think it's a requirement.
                              People & Life Are Like Push-Up Bra. They Often Parade Themselves With A False Sense Of Being & Confidence. The Underlying Truth Are Often Much Less Tantalizing. - Benjamin L

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X