Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key World Cup matches may be telecast on MediaCorp's channels

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...031989/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Football fans in Singapore may get to watch the 2010 FIFA World Cup matches on television after all.

That is because national broadcaster MediaCorp confirmed on Wednesday that it has put in an offer to telecast key World Cup matches on its free-to-air channels.

Earlier reports claimed that should SingTel and StarHub fail in their joint bid to broadcast World Cup matches, Singaporeans could miss out completely on the football action.

But MediaCorp's bid means football fans here can breathe easier now. The company is currently waiting for FIFA's response.

MediaCorp said any matches telecast on its free-to-air channels are subject to the company's successful bid.

The broadcaster understands that there is no specific FIFA ruling for any match to be provided free-of-charge to any broadcaster nor is there a mandate for any match to be aired on a free-to-air basis.

As Singapore's national broadcaster, it needs to balance between catering to viewers' needs and the returns from advertising revenues that will fund the telecast of the matches.

The latest development spelt good news for fans.

Said one man in the street: "Half a loaf is better than none, isn't it?"

Another football fan said: "I think that will be good because if SingTel or StarHub get the bid, we need to pay."

"Why should we suffer because of some corporate fight, that's not fair, that's not really fair, we should be able to watch everything," said another man in the street.

In 2006, MediaCorp telecast four World Cup matches - the opening, two semi-finals and the final game on its free-to-air channels. - CNA/vm
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X