• Show
Clear All

• Found interesting topic to share...

Vote PAP Out” Facebook garners over 100 friends in less than 3 days

December 23, 2009 by admin
    Filed under Headlines

Leave a comment

Written by Our Correspondent

A Facebook page dedicated to voting Singapore’s ruling party PAP out of office has garnered over 140 friends in less than three days.

Set up by young vocal PAP critic Alex Tan, who embarrassed two PAP MPs with his point-blank criticisms of the government during a YPAP forum held a week ago, it aims to be a discussion forum for “propaganda news from the 141th Singapore media”.

Under its “descriptions” is a list of sensitive issues seldom discussed in the mainstream media such as the influx of foreigners, disadvantages of National Service, sky-rocketing property prices, low dispensable income and shortage of subsidized university places for qualified Singapore students.

Among its first few friends are Mr Desmond Lim from the Singapore Democratic Alliance, Mr Goh Meng Seng from the National Solidarity Party and Mr Jarrod Luo from the Singapore Democratic Party.

Mr Alex Tan said he will be focusing his “anti-propaganda” effort on his facebook page to urge Singaporeans to vote out the PAP.

He had been posting on the YPAP Facebook for the last few months before being banned ostensibly for “indulging in name-calling and vulgarities.”

Mr Alex Tan had earlier challenged YPAP members for a public debate on national issues at Speaker’s Corner, but has yet to receive a reply from them.

The YPAP has been trying hard to reach out to young Singaporeans who will form an increasingly influential voting bloc in future elections.

Unlike the older generation of Singaporeans, they do not owe any allegiance to the ruling party and are more politically aware and educated.

The inability to woo young Singaporeans to its side is a constant worry for the PAP, after seeing how incumbents in Japan and Malaysia (state governments) were unseated by rookies in their national elections.

Law Minister Shanmugam proposed “educating” Singaporeans on “politics” to warn them of the perils of “liberal democracy” which was greeted with derision by the online community.

The state media is most careful not to report on any online or public display of displeasure against the ruling party by ordinary Singaporeans not belonging to any opposition parties.

Even the SDP, which was much vilified and demonized by the media for the “civil disobedience” of its members, has received little or no publicity of its protracted court cases of late probably not to evoke public sympathy for it.

Faced with dwindling support from the local populace, the ruling party is turning to new citizens to keep them in power.

Singaporeans now make up only 64 per cent of the population out of which a significant proportion are new immigrants.

At the rate the ruling party is “mass-importing” foreigners and offering them PRs and citizenships, it will only be a matter of time before Singaporeans lose their numerical superiority to vote the PAP out.

Join the “Vote PAP Out” Facebook here

for more comments,click on this link...
    http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/12...#comment-50084

Wau....Didnt know this matter is that complex. I presume it's a wake up call.

Comment

I won't bother. Every government isn't perfect! But I will strongly put my future to a party who has made us what we are today. PAP have not caused our country to suffer like Taiwan, Thailand or even US. I do not feel that they are inadequate for our future.

I won't even bother abt opposition parties who can claim they can make our country a better place. On what grounds and confidence do they base their audacious claims? I will never listen. Unless our country is evidently turning south in growth and public welfare. Ü

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
      - GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
      - Master Eight Days (1608420)
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Dun worry, equal sum

Some gov lack welfare & reduce/eliminate tax.
        Some gov increase sales & income tax & increase welfare.

I think Spore is more of consumption-like revenue generating country with URA, ERP, COE, ARF, GST, SMRT, SBS, IRAS, HDB....so if I live like a monk, maybe I wont pay nothing to em.

Maybe if I work, I pay a bit.
        If I eat out, I pay a bit.
        Maybe if I buy HDB, I'll buy Jurong Extension.
        Maybe I just wear the same T-Shirt given by my RC, CDC & CC every year, I will save some $.
        Oso, I take bus & MRT so that I dun pay gov too much.
        So that my heart not so pain when e minister take huge pay.

So long as they dun kapo my money big time like Dr M, Suharto, Marcos, I'm OK.

Other than that, SG is just too small for real-politiks unlike Thailand, Taiwan, Korea, Msia and Indonesia.

Managing a country a size of SG is like managing a municipal council.
        U just make sure everything is clean, swanky & shiny....something like putting up Lego blocks here & there & cleaning here & there, thats all.
        Not much effort needed. No big deal. Any Tom, Dick & Harry can do it.

Many small countries like Malta, Gibraltar & Vatican dun even bother with politics....save money...just keep walking....

Dun think too much...can go crazy

Comment

i wonder will that person get into trouble anot for critising the govt....
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

140 'frens' over 3 days?
            Harh, is that not a pathetic response...
            All these whinny ninny keyboard wannabe politicians, want to bring about change? Identify yourself to the public and challenge the establishment like what LTK, CST, the late JBJ etc have done.
            As for that article, it's rubbish. I treat it with the same contempt as any article that sucks up the establishment *phui!*
            I'm not totally happy with the government but then who is? Name me a sovereign country not smaller than what we have.
            Liberal democracy? Clearly over-rated.
            Support the opposition? Very simple - Find me a credible, logical, competent and honest one first. Until then, I make do with the best I can get - Cannot get Pam 21, Pam 232 also good.

Ender
            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
            three times is enemy action and
            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
            ."

Comment

I like your analogy that our country run like municipal council and anybody can run it.

So, there begets a question: does this kind of job justify the > 1 mil/year pay cheque?

Comment

Times have changed.
                The fact of the matter is this, if you are capable and honest enough to do the job, will you do for free? If not free, how much?
                S$1m is not a small amount (well, to me, it is not) but will you take on the job for S$1m a year? Bear in mind, you will have little or no time for your family, expose yourself (and your family) to constant snide comments, finger-pointing and criticisim (fair and unfair), have to handle and resolve each complaint (and Singaporean's top pastime (together with shopping and queuing) is to complain...) your voters have, forefeit your Christmas/CNY etc dinners with your family and friends to spend with some strangers at some makan session, wonder if the decision you made just farked up your fellow countrymen big time etc.
                I will not.

Ender
                ."

Comment

so u mean that other political figures in other countries who are getting much lesser than $1M per yr and doing more things are stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                    Times have changed.
                    The fact of the matter is this, if you are capable and honest enough to do the job, will you do for free? If not free, how much?
                    S$1m is not a small amount (well, to me, it is not) but will you take on the job for S$1m a year? Bear in mind, you will have little or no time for your family, expose yourself (and your family) to constant snide comments, finger-pointing and criticisim (fair and unfair), have to handle and resolve each complaint (and Singaporean's top pastime (together with shopping and queuing) is to complain...) your voters have, forefeit your Christmas/CNY etc dinners with your family and friends to spend with some strangers at some makan session, wonder if the decision you made just farked up your fellow countrymen big time etc.
                    I will not.

Ender
                    my way way way way less per annum job also face similar issues.

work from 830 till 11pm almost each day, tio screw from users for almost everything, tio calls even on weekends, have to resolve everything thrown to me regardless of reasonable or not reasonable, whenever things go wrong, its always us the bottom people never do properly, sometimes working weekends no compensation, no ot pay, no bonus, no transport claims, no recognition....wonder if the decision during production issue I made would screw the whole company up..

got colleague on wedding day early morn tio call say production issue.....goodness

gosh, does this mean i also deserve something near 1m?

I wish I could work 9-5 daily in singapore, no scolding from upper management, no need work weekends, no stabbing from people, have lots of time for family, don need to resolve issues given to me by my bosses..i don mind getting what I am paid if thats the case
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Many National models to copy from...

I dunno, one should see the bigger picture before one speaks up for whatever you want for what it is worth and change the world. But you can either copy the neigbours in the north and south where they cross the govt's palms with silver and gold. You can also choose to go back to motherland India, Middle East and China to experience life as an original inhabitant embracing the corrupted "traditions" every single day of your natural life. Or you can have freedom and guns in the United States. Then you can also be a citizen of Europe, UK, Oz or NZ where you are a distinct minority and be labelled as an immigrant or worse still an Oriental person. Whatever you choose, I doubt you will ever find yourself enjoying a safer environment where you can own Rolexes, Panerais, IWCs etc. without being cheated, robbed, conned, burgled, taxed, confiscated, harassed, repossessed, inconvenienced, with no recourse and recovery for bad deals. In other parts of the world, you would get to pay fees for every trade or gain you make in watch sale or swap. This is your website and the nation just like home is your oyster. Home is where the heart and mouth is. Make the best of it while you can. Blessed Christmas!

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
                      Abraham Lincoln (American 16th US President from1861-65, who brought about the emancipation of slavery from 1809-1865).

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                      Watch your words, for they become actions.
                      Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                      Watch your habits, for they become character.
                      Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                        Times have changed.
                        I will not.

Ender
                        If our Minister deserve an annual salary of S$1M for a small country. I bet the US President deserves a thousand times more for his effort for his present peanuts payout.

Should our MM advice our neigbouring govt they should follow Singapore systems, paying top dollars for million dollars brains to stamp out nonsenses. I believe they have more brillant brains then we do.

Comment

Originally posted by yeshe View Post
                          so u mean that other political figures in other countries who are getting much lesser than $1M per yr and doing more things are stupid?
                          did i say they are stupid?
                          in any case, name them? name me these "other political figures in other countries who are getting much lesser than $1M per yr and doing more things"?
                          Last edited by Ender; 25-12-09, 04:03 PM. Reason: Re: Don't tell you...
                          ."

Comment

Originally posted by Frogmen View Post
                            Should our MM advice our neigbouring govt they should follow Singapore systems, paying top dollars for million dollars brains to stamp out nonsenses. I believe they have more brillant brains then we do.
                            Well, if our neighbours from the north do get their house in order...we are truly fooked!
                            ."

Comment

Originally posted by Taipan View Post
                              I dunno, one should see the bigger picture before one speaks up for whatever you want for what it is worth and change the world. But you can either copy the neigbours in the north and south where they cross the govt's palms with silver and gold. You can also choose to go back to motherland India, Middle East and China to experience life as an original inhabitant embracing the corrupted "traditions" every single day of your natural life. Or you can have freedom and guns in the United States. Then you can also be a citizen of Europe, UK, Oz or NZ where you are a distinct minority and be labelled as an immigrant or worse still an Oriental person. Whatever you choose, I doubt you will ever find yourself enjoying a safer environment where you can own Rolexes, Panerais, IWCs etc. without being cheated, robbed, conned, burgled, taxed, confiscated, harassed, repossessed, inconvenienced, with no recourse and recovery for bad deals. In other parts of the world, you would get to pay fees for every trade or gain you make in watch sale or swap. This is your website and the nation just like home is your oyster. Home is where the heart and mouth is. Make the best of it while you can. Blessed Christmas!
                              As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side (because there's so much more ****e!).
                              Last edited by Ender; 25-12-09, 04:15 PM. Reason: RE: Harh? Just realised that there's auto-censorship for the English version of the 'DA PIAN!'
                              ."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X