S-League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-League

SINGAPORE'S S-League could be dropped from Asian club football's most prestigious tournament, the AFC Champions League (ACL).

The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has revealed new entry criteria that will take effect in 2012.

Two of the criteria require a participating league to have a system of promotion and relegation, and an average attendance of 5,000, up from 2,000, for games.

The S-League does not meet either.

This is the latest blow to hit the 12-club league, which could find itself playing in the second-tiered AFC Cup should it not meet the ACL's requirements.

In September, Lions striker Noh Alam Shah signed for Indonesia Super League (ISL) club Arema Malang, sparking an outflow of talent as national players Ridhuan Muhamad (Arema), Precious Emuejeraye (Sriwijaya), Mustafic Fahrudin and Baihakki Khaizan (both Persija) snapped up offers of better pay and playing in front of bigger crowds from ISL clubs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_469356.html

End of the day, it's about crowds (==> turning into viable business). If there are enough crowds, then there is a potential of more teams ===> making up a 2 tier system. End of the day, Singapore is just too small...
    The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

What's going to happen to Quah Kim Song's cushy job?? Need to get his resume ready again?

Comment

Haiya, go beg Msia to take em back lar

But again, Msia Super & Premier League oso not qualified for AFL directly due to bad FIFA ranking...they oso can go into AFC onlie if they lose the playoff, which they do all e time.

I think since they invited China & Japan team into FAS League, maybe they can ask Japan & China League for similar favor.
        Cos if they manage to get into Japan & China league & if they secure top 2 place, Spore team can go to AFL directly without playoff, right?
        And, if they get 3rd & 4th placing, they can go for AFL playoff, right.
        I'm sure Japan & China league will return the favor we bestowed upon em.

Oso har, maybe we can buy Man City & replace all e players with Singapore U-23. I heard now Abu Dhabi sheikh no more $. Maybe Temasek Ho Ching have money after selling CSM for 98% write-off.
        Maybe we can play in EPL & get top 4 to got for ECL, right?
        Why settle for ACL when we can go for EPL, ECL & even ESC?
        Maybe WCC even...

Comment

Wah seh. Fred.. you do have knowledge.
          I own a Rolex !

Comment

for Fred....

Get tat man a beer!
            A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

S-league anyone?

Etoile odds on favourite to win S-league title. meanwhile footbrawl else where at Jalan Besar Stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JcjvcJBRiE

These foreign teams really spice up the S-league these days. How i miss the Malaysia cup days when Singapore is a foreign team. Everyone basically have a go at you when you visit Alor Star, Larkin stadium and etc.
              I own a Rolex !

Comment

I think we all know what the "S" means in S-League! [clue: 4 letter word]
                What a waste of time this league is. Invented only for the betting punters I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
                  I think we all know what the "S" means in S-League! [clue: 4 letter word]
                  What a waste of time this league is. Invented only for the betting punters I believe.
                  Dun play play hor..... S-League is ranked one of the top ten professional football league in Asia hor. But i dun really understand how the ranking system works though......

Comment

must support you local grassroot football

I always make a point to go and watch my local footie club whenever I am back in my hometown if there's a match.

although they are crap and in a crap league.. I still proudly support them and buys their jersey. if you do not support your local league, there would be no outlet to groom the next generation of players.

Comment

I hope this will work

Goto 2:32 OMG!!
                      I own a Rolex !

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X