No announcement yet.

How long can it lasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my hobbies have always been electronics, electrical engineering, horology, audio. I am going thru a stage now, where I have kinda stepped away from horology, and looked for something else.

At the end of the day, we all change, and will have different hobbies to keep us company.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

for me it is definitely a phase in life.
      i've been thru audio, car, photography, games etc and now watches.
      in the end i always end up wearing the 2-3 favourite ones so my advise to my frds starting out is to get a good one(or two) then close shop.
      But then that phase is important, like my other half says.. 'I rather you spend yr time n money on yr hobbies then women.'
      I cannot agree more.

Comment

it is an addiction.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinner View Post
          for me it is definitely a phase in life.
          i've been thru audio, car, photography, games etc and now watches.
          in the end i always end up wearing the 2-3 favourite ones so my advise to my frds starting out is to get a good one(or two) then close shop.
          But then that phase is important, like my other half says.. 'I rather you spend yr time n money on yr hobbies then women.'
          I cannot agree more.
          What if WOMEN is also part of the hobbies... including audio, car, photography, games etc and watches kekekek

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            it is an addiction.
            yes and a very expensive one ..

Originally posted by DM101 View Post
            What if WOMEN is also part of the hobbies... including audio, car, photography, games etc and watches kekekek
            and who say this is not a common hobby to some men? look at tiger

only thing is ..... this is not an open hobby that we can freely share
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

only thing is ..... this is not an open hobby that we can freely share
              good things must share..

Comment

Then Sinner, you may start the ball rollin' ..
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  Then Sinner, you may start the ball rollin' ..
                  sure, let's go to the appropriate forums where we can freely share..

Comment

Hmz

I get what you mean about moving on. I sold off my entire collection except for 1-2 sentimental pieces recently with the intention of a revamp. But while deciding on the direction of the revamp,I found myself occupied with my son,work and other stuff.

Over the past mth or so felt myself moving away from the hobby. But let's see.

Comment

i like gals more then watches haha. is that a hobby too?

Comment

Originally posted by theOrion View Post
                        I get what you mean about moving on. I sold off my entire collection except for 1-2 sentimental pieces recently with the intention of a revamp. But while deciding on the direction of the revamp,I found myself occupied with my son,work and other stuff.

Over the past mth or so felt myself moving away from the hobby. But let's see.
                        Exactly. But at least you've been there, done that.

Originally posted by kenkelvin View Post
                        i like gals more then watches haha. is that a hobby too?
                        Liking is one; possessing is another ..
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Today when in mrt, i was standing, sitting infront of me, he wears tag heuer monaco, my right side 3rd passenger standing, due he has to hold the mrt handle, i saw his sub m with date as he weared on left hand....i was thinking, are you two also forumers too?
                          past collection
                          Omega 3510.61,3520.50,3510.53,3510.50,3511.50,3513.50,35 21.30
                          Rolex 1500,1601,1675,1680,5513,6426,6694,14060M,16234, 16523,16013,16570,16600,16613,16713,16800,16520,11 6523,116660,16610,16610lv

Comment

actually i think it's really a phase (at lest to me)....once we've different priorities in life, one may need to mellow down or "sacrifice" this hobby or indulgence.

For me, i'm planning to have a closure by end next year after i fill up the last 3 slots of my watch case. i have all along wanted to fill up 25 slots of my 2 watch boxes (some of you know about this) but i just felt that it's not good enough after i sat down one day looking at the pieces i have. i just have to really think of what i really want to keep. One of the reasons why i sold off a number of my watches and a watch box last month was to consolidate my collection, focus on achieving my "most ideal" collection so that i'm one step nearer to the closure. I've always developed feelings for the watches i own so i know that the current watches i've in my possession are the ones i really like most (and will sell only if there's any emergencies...which i sure hope they can be avoided).

My wife asked me what i'm going to do after i stop...honestly i've no idea but i suspect it's a mindset and determination phase that i'll to face and go through.

watch collecting is also link to the goals i've set myself few years ago (when i first started out). It's a discipline and "structured" exercise for me to achieve certain goals in life at certain age>>to get a decent paper, own a small car, humble shelter/abode, certain position in career/job,/company certain income and timepieces. once i've achieved that goal..i feel a certain sense of personal satisfaction and move on to the next one...

what's next?? maybe try for a kid, get a dog, focus more on family and save more $$ for retirement...

but that's just me....boring guy and typical singaporean

i'm sure i'll continue to enjoy reading about watches and feeling happy for bros here who will own new timepieces.
                            I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                            A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                            Audemars Piguet ROO
                            Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                            De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                            Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                            Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                            Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                            IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                            Panerai 270
                            Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                            Rolex 116610LV
                            Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

get a dog sound fun....but dog is a life time commitment....
                              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                                get a dog sound fun....but dog is a life time commitment....
                                well, it's equally meaningful and cheaper too i guess
                                I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                                A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                                Audemars Piguet ROO
                                Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                                De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                                Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                                Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                                Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                                IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                                Panerai 270
                                Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                                Rolex 116610LV