Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collectors, do you just focus on one brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectors, do you just focus on one brand?

Hi guys, I just got started with liking watches for a long time but it was only this year that actually started my collection and acquired my first Panerai 111 and IWC 371704 and Omega[s] (I have since sold the Speedmaster, which I regret. I am now left with a Seamaster GMT 50th Anni. which is still with Swatch for a overhaul). I think right now I'm itching for a Rolex but at the same time, rumors of a SS Sub C (which would be my dream watch) and price increments are confusing me if I should or shouldn't get a Rollie this year. Apart the above watches, I also have 2 Seiko's and a 2 "homage" watches (which I intend to sell soon as I already have my first PAM, but it was fun while it lasted hehe).

I am a avid fan of Dive and Pilot watches but I also do like watches that intrigue me with their many parts and different complications (GO's Panomatics, JLC's Reversos, Blanpain's FF and many more).

I was wondering how did you guys start your lovely collections, do you buy everything you want first before becoming a fan of a particular brand? Or did you just collect piece by piece and realized, ie. "hey I have so many -BRAND- watches now?" Do you focus on one brand or does the focus 'come to you' haha.

Looking at the galleries is indeed a 'poisonous' place for young people like me. Thank goodness I do not own a credit card yet. Anyone has recommendations for my next piece? haha just some ramblings for tonight.
    fallraen
    "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

before you buy your next piece and since you are talking about collection, to help u decide,

what watches you like to have in collection? u mentioned u like dive and pilot watches. so stick with it. however your preference may/may not change through time.

believe me, if you like watches that intrigue you, then soon you will be looking @ the various complications. i recently attended a talk on lange movement - constant force on the lange 31. u will be amaze how they made it possible to have 31 days of power reserve. they claim that the accuracy of the watch is 100% for 31 days. some watches lose their accuracy else power reserve wind down, been to richemont several times, saw couple of PR watches sent in for accuracy lost. typical question asked, how much PR was there when noticed accuracy not there.

another complication you may like to look @ is the perpetual calendar.

it does not matter if you stick to one brand or not, more important you must like the watch. period.

try to set a theme in your collection first, modify it along the way if your preference change. do research on the brand/model first before purchase. have a cooling period of 2 months. why? if after 2 months, you still like the watch, then buy it.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
      before you buy your next piece and since you are talking about collection, to help u decide,

what watches you like to have in collection? u mentioned u like dive and pilot watches. so stick with it. however your preference may/may not change through time.

believe me, if you like watches that intrigue you, then soon you will be looking @ the various complications. i recently attended a talk on lange movement - constant force on the lange 31. u will be amaze how they made it possible to have 31 days of power reserve. they claim that the accuracy of the watch is 100% for 31 days. some watches lose their accuracy else power reserve wind down, been to richemont several times, saw couple of PR watches sent in for accuracy lost. typical question asked, how much PR was there when noticed accuracy not there.

another complication you may like to look @ is the perpetual calendar.

it does not matter if you stick to one brand or not, more important you must like the watch. period.

try to set a theme in your collection first, modify it along the way if your preference change. do research on the brand/model first before purchase. have a cooling period of 2 months. why? if after 2 months, you still like the watch, then buy it.
      Oh you went for the Lange talk? Never jio me...but sigh..pretty busy these days also..it will be over in 2 weeks! Then holidays...I look out for more events if they have in the late dec or early Jan time.

Back to topic...I focus on several brands in general..but of course my main focus is Rolex still. Some brands I will die die won't touch,and some I would definitely want to own!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

go for variety...

Just like food, go for variety. Wouldn't you get sick of eating KFC everyday? When it comes to watches, it is the same IMO. Also, each brand/ model has it unique appeal and attractiveness. Like I love SINN for its manly look. I also like Tag carrera because it is simply the best dress watch for professionals. Of course, rolex is also good for obvious reasons stated all round this forum. Recently, I'm also into Hublot as its looks are simply one of a kind, its long longevity and among others.

So, to sum it all up, bring watches that appeal to you in one way or more. Different brands will appeal to you differently. Have fun.

Comment

Personally, I am not keen to hold more than 1 piece for the same brand... ok maybe exception for Rolex.
          Generally, I would try to own one iconic (see the other thread started by Triton) piece from the brand only if I can afford it. But if the so-called iconic model does not appeal, then I wun buy it.
          At the end of the day, for me, it boils down to the affordability of the model / brand, and the watch must really appeal.
          Short answer, no, I try to go for a few brands that I have a 'connection' with. It is very personal... I got one fren who is hell bend on getting one iconic model per series from the same brand. So, to each his own!

Comment

i am a watch slut.
            i tell myself that I wld be faithful to one brand but failed totally.
            so many brands and each brand with a particular model that just catches my eye...omega-anakin, panerai-301A190h, 2A, 7, 8, breitling....
            it never ends.
            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
            three times is enemy action and
            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
            ."

Comment

I only follow wat i like, no loyalty to one brand. any tat i fancy.
              "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

i think it is abit hard just to focus on one brand. this is because majority of the time, we buy watches because we like the looks of the watch. may it be the dial, the case, etc.

my ideal watch collection is one with different types of complication

1) regulateur
                2) chronograph/rattrapante/flyback
                3) perpetual calendar
                4) minute repeater/hour striker

i would also like to have different functions

a) alarm
                b) GMT

it is pretty hard to have a single brand that produces all the different complications and functions which are appealing to me.

as such, it is not possible for me to stick to one brand.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

My collection consists watches from different brands though I do tend to favour watches from some brands more ...
                  运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                    i am a watch slut.
                    i tell myself that I wld be faithful to one brand but failed totally.
                    so many brands and each brand with a particular model that just catches my eye...omega-anakin, panerai-301A190h, 2A, 7, 8, breitling....
                    it never ends.
                    +1 in support of bro ender
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                      I only follow wat i like, no loyalty to one brand. any tat i fancy.
                      agreed with u and me too do that

Comment

Brand

Actually, I like Perrelet, the skeleton or A3014

As am still trying to learn more about the watches, that why just stay on familiar brand 1st play safe as this hobby is posion

Just go some bookshop to find watches magazine, can always find many interesting watches design there
                        past collection
                        Omega 3510.61,3520.50,3510.53,3510.50,3511.50,3513.50,35 21.30
                        Rolex 1500,1601,1675,1680,5513,6426,6694,14060M,16234, 16523,16013,16570,16600,16613,16713,16800,16520,11 6523,116660,16610,16610lv

Comment

Besides having variety which I do like to if $$$ permits. One has to bear in mind about the cost of maintenance. Do abit of homework on your next target. Take some time to read or ask some of the watch owners during gathering.

There's an Article on ownershipship which the link is here ~ http://watchinghorology.com/2009/10/...ership-of.html Otherwise, having one very gd watch with some complications to last u a long time is more realistic than owning alot (rest sitting on winder if u r loaded ) n makes your $$$ worthwhile.
                          the Trails and the Ocean !

Comment

+2 support

+2 support

Comment

I will definitely not want to own more than one watch of the same brand.

Bell&Ross BR03-92 Blue
                              Corum Admiral's Cup LE
                              Panerai 351M
                              Flickr

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X