Lowballing is ok.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowballing is ok.

I've been on both sides, selling and buyer through this portal and many others like it...

However, when I scan through items that interest me (esp in the Misc section) I get this feeling that a lot of members are 'silly' in their approach to selling.

It's amusing to see sellers posting ' no low ballers' - ' low ballers will be ignored' - 'low ballers this & that'... It's plain stupid. This is an open market!

Take a car for example. As soon as a brand new car leaves the dealership it immediately loses 20% of it's value, period. This can never be re-cooped. Anywhere from month 0 to month 6 is the worst period for a seller and the best for a buyer. Simply, 20% on something really worthwhile is nothing and would rather purchase new.

Month 6 - year 1 is where most transactions lie. Generally, most second hand buyers look for goods in this time frame, which makes it a little better for the seller as well. But, the price needs to be realistic, at least 30 -40% off of retail price...

Anything over a year old, then it's pretty hard to command a good price. This theory can pretty much stand for any material item (except property & rare collectables).

The most amusing part is when sellers post 'firm' 'no low offers' etc.. only to see their posts drop in prices in subsequent weeks. When probably there was an ok offer from day 1, but sellers have too much pride.

Don't be so egotistic and trash low ballers, when most of them end up being your customers.

peace out.

Originally posted by Andrew Tay
    another point i would to add is this.....

observe those sellers.......when they post an item to sell......normally, the price they ask initially will drop by a few hundreds within 7 days......some even as fast as 2 days.

why?

sellers might as well offer a good price that make buyers cannot resist and entice them the moment the seller post it. but sadly, not many seller do that.

and the point to note is....the longer an item is on the garage section.....buyers tend to have second thou abt getting it.
    I fully agree with this.
    My Small Collection :
    GMT II 16710 Coke U series
    JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
    Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
    Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
    Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
    PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
    BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Sadly, I beg to diff. This is so becoming into a bloodshed.

I think it is only the seller right to choose what ever kind of price as he like. Afterall, the item belongs to him, whether he can sell the item or he drop his price in short period of time, it is his right.

Sometimes, I have to say it piss me off when lowballers hit. For example, I have a used decent 1 year old shimano bike for sale in the past, I can receive offers like SGD30 or SGD40. Sometimes, see liao oso no mood to reply.

That's why some sellers post no low ballers, firm price. Many of us are not despo sellers.

Comment

weird world right..

Comment

Bottom line is very simple:

Buyer: If the price is not right to you - don't buy. Don't force the seller to sell a price that he is not willing to at that point of time

Seller: If the price the buyer offer is not right - don't sell. There is no need to argue or call people "low-balling". Just ignore.

There will be people feeling sore on both ends.

I see people selling some of their watches to people at a lower price with a better attitude.

I also see people buy watches at higher prices with good manners as well.

Comment

for me i just reply thanks for your interest but price too low for my consideration ...simple and effective...
            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by RTS View Post
              Sadly, I beg to diff. This is so becoming into a bloodshed.

I think it is only the seller right to choose what ever kind of price as he like. Afterall, the item belongs to him, whether he can sell the item or he drop his price in short period of time, it is his right.

Sometimes, I have to say it piss me off when lowballers hit. For example, I have a used decent 1 year old shimano bike for sale in the past, I can receive offers like SGD30 or SGD40. Sometimes, see liao oso no mood to reply.

That's why some sellers post no low ballers, firm price. Many of us are not despo sellers.

u go post at hardwarezone, even worst..ppl there thought things are FOC one..whatever prices u posted, whether reasonable or not..their offerings will definately be slashed into half of your listed.. might as well give it to them foc..

Comment

observe those sellers.......when they post an item to sell......normally, the price they ask initially will drop by a few hundreds within 7 days......some even as fast as 2 days.

why?

sellers might as well offer a good price that make buyers cannot resist and entice them the moment the seller post it. but sadly, not many seller do that.

and the point to note is....the longer an item is on the garage section.....buyers tend to have second thou abt getting it.
                Mr Tay, i'm still waiting for this day and this moment when a seller would offer to sell his 217 at a good price that make me cannot resist. If any seller can lelong watch like slash dwn thousands of dollars off the market price i think he doesn't need to add lowballers or returning reducing his initial asking price....cos watch would be GONE before we know it.

Comment

sorry, i did not realise shimano makes bicycle frames, thought they only make shimano parts. can update?

Originally posted by RTS View Post
                  I have a used decent 1 year old shimano bike for sale in the past, I can receive offers like SGD30 or SGD40. Sometimes, see liao oso no mood to reply.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

dear louie, 217 is pam special edition....dun think any seller want to let go at good price.
                    When someone is desperate... you will never know...
                    Although most desperate cases don't even come online to post.

I have seen a Yatchmaster sold on the spot at $5k SGD. That time we were in Macau..... Poor chap.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
                      u go post at hardwarezone, even worst..ppl there thought things are FOC one..whatever prices u posted, whether reasonable or not..their offerings will definately be slashed into half of your listed.. might as well give it to them foc..
                      Never tried to sell anything on-line before so I never knew such situation exist. This is really bad, no wonder seller will get pissed off.

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                      for me i just reply thanks for your interest but price too low for my consideration ...simple and effective...
                      Ya, i think if i encountered low baller, i may also do the same.

But, we do see many FS items that were Sold very quickly right?
                      so meaning there are geniune seller who offer their product at "reasonable price" that potential will grab.

On the other hand, if i am a seller, i also hope to sell my item at a higher price, sigh.....don't have " and they will live happily ever after " ending......
                      My Small Collection :

Look Look See See for :

Comment

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
                        When someone is desperate... you will never know...
                        Although most desperate cases don't even come online to post.

I have seen a Yatchmaster sold on the spot at $5k SGD. That time we were in Macau..... Poor chap.
                        Guess, like most things, we have to be at the right place at the right time.
                        But pity that guy.
                        My Small Collection :

Look Look See See for :

Comment

why?

Hi, andrew. Yr opinion is noted but experience tells me things do not work out this way. Whether it is abt selling online here, or anywhere else, even in retail shops, sellers will always attempt to cut minimal loss at first, by stating a higher price. And as time fades, with many contributing reasons whatsoever, the price may depreciate. I think edsonchan made a gd summary of "seller-buyer" theory.

It is a 'mirror-effect' to a buyer theory, isn't it? Will you just walk into a watch shop; see a watch you like, and immediately pay the price the seller quotes you at instant? Or will you try to bargain first? It takes two hands to clap la .

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
                          Bottom line is very simple:

Buyer: If the price is not right to you - don't buy. Don't force the seller to sell a price that he is not willing to at that point of time

Seller: If the price the buyer offer is not right - don't sell. There is no need to argue or call people "low-balling". Just ignore.

There will be people feeling sore on both ends.

I see people selling some of their watches to people at a lower price with a better attitude.

I also see people buy watches at higher prices with good manners as well.
                          Agreed.

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          sorry, i did not realise shimano makes bicycle frames, thought they only make shimano parts. can update?
                          And you hv gone

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Oh, I mean Trek bike with shimano gears, my bad...
                            Originally posted by triton View Post

Comment

thanks for update.

to me, if you price reasonably aka about selling price. chances of being hit with a low ball offer is lower.

i do know that some potential buyers will create separate nicks as sellers and buyers. this is a poly. seller will post

watch for sale @ Y price (which can be market price or slightly below market price) then buyer will offer below Y price. then the next moment, the watch is sold. then the potential buyer will pm the seller and offer the price saying so-so seller sold @ the low balled price.
                              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                              1. subject heading indicating your issue
                              2. your nick
                              3. your corresponding email address
                              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X