Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A conversation with Singapore’s most (in)famous ex-beauty queen (Boomzz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A conversation with Singapore’s most (in)famous ex-beauty queen (Boomzz)

Rad'-hot Ris Low

A conversation with Singapore’s most (in)famous ex-beauty queen

Ris Low(www.rislow.sg)

www.rislow.sg

THE stage lights have long dimmed and the cat-fighting is now only a distant purr, but Ris Low is not going quietly into the night.

Had it turned out differently, she'd be trading air kisses with the rich and famous or fulfilling other obligations expected of a beauty queen. But with her Miss Singapore World title gone, the Singlish-spouting student spends her free time making smart appearances on talk shows and coining new words faster than you can shout 'BOOMZ!'

We caught up with the 19-year-old over lunch (which for the self-confessed binger meant a glass of chocolate milk shake for the entire day), and found that she has engaged a manager to turn around her negative public image.

After all she's been through, this young woman just shrugs off criticism and ridicule. Make no mistake, Ris may have given up her crown after her brush with the law, but she has never been more ready for the big time.

Q: Ris, it's no exaggeration to say that you're now officially Singapore's most recognizable ex-beauty queen. Has fame been a dream or nightmare for you so far?
    It's been a dream, a fabulous dream. It's like being in wonderland, people recognize you and you get freebies...

Q: What sort of freebies?
    Oh I get a lot of free nail treatments and hair treatments.

Q: I see. But surely it hasn't all been smooth-sailing? You have been getting your fair share of flak and criticism ...
    (interrupts) No, I take everything with a pinch of salt. So it's just been a dream to me, even the bad parts.

Q: So you're thoroughly enjoying yourself?
    Ah huh. There's no such thing as bad publicity, only publicity. (smiles)

Q: Some people say that you don't know what you're doing and have dragged our country's reputation down with you. What do you have to say to these people?
    Can I tell them that they're bull-sh**ing? Please take a look at yourself in the mirror, as if you're not disgracing yourself. Is your English really that good? Can you really speak that well? Can you write that well? Do you think you can stand on the stage and portray yourself?
    No, I don't think so. You're just somebody behind a computer, a nerd wearing specs, typing away. Just a coward.

Q: Has there been anything brought up in the media that you would like to clarify?
    They said I bought my title, but obviously that's not true. If you spend money and effort going to grooming classes and catwalk classes, of course you'll win.
    Nothing comes for free. You must put in the effort to make yourself well known, make yourself be seen. Saying I bought my title is so not true.

Q: Speaking of well-known, did you ever think that the word 'boomz' will become the national phenomena it is now?
    No, I thought 'boomz' was just a word used by myself and in the comics, where the cars go crashing and then boomz!

Q: So how long have you been using this word?
    I think since I was young. I'll just play with the (toy) trucks and go boomz, boomz, boomz!

Q: And did it always come with the z at the back?
    You know there was this point in time whereby everything came with a z at the back? It was so yesterday, but ya ...

Q: So I see you've coined a new word, shingz, which you said translate to 'sucks'. Was that also from your childhood?
    No, that's recently. It's like saying basket ... and when you can't say that, you just say shingz.

Q: So are you going to get into the habit of coining new words?
    Ya, I can start a Ris Low dictionary anytime. (smiles) Because I'm always into new words, and I like coming up with new ways of expressing myself through different sounds. I base them on sounds la, don't really think there're words actually.

Q: Interesting. So has your daily 10pm curfew been 'shingz' for you?
    Obviously, I can't go for any events if it's after 10pm, or I have to get approval from my probation officer. Other than that, it's not much of a problem because I'm not much of a nightlife person. I don't go chionging (clubbing), even though I look like a chiongster.

Q: What do you do when you want to go out and have a good time then?
    Shopping, shopping, tons of shopping. (laughs) A woman can never get enough of shopping. You get real excitement and thrill out of shopping. It's like you're looking at the clothes and they're asking you to try them out. (in animated tone) That gorgeous dress, ooh look at that!

Q: Where do you usually do your shopping?
    Anywhere with clothes. Heeren, Bugis, Cineleisure. And the infamous City Plaza.

Q: City Plaza? Eh isn't that where all the aunties do their shopping?
    No. (shakes head disapprovingly) ... the clothes are so trashy. And I like trashy clothes.

Q: So what's the trashiest outfit that you have?
    Haha, I don't even dare to wear it out, I think my mom will kill me. It's all furry, mid-riff and comes with a short skirt.

Q: I've never seen anyone wear something like that on the street, so you're probably right about the mom thing. You obviously like the attention. Is that why you like taking part in beauty pageants and walking down the catwalk?
    Because it makes you feel like a princess, like you're the only one in the world who matters. The stage's all yours, the world's your oyster and you're the pearl. It feels like that, feels good.

Q: Do you recommend that other girls take part in beauty pageants?
    Of course, everybody should have their chance to strike the prize ...

Q: But it was kind of like snatched away from you wasn't it...
    I'll snatch the limelight back! (laughs)

Q: You don't regret the experience?
    Nope, no I don't. It'll be good publicity.

Q: What lessons have you learned in the process that you can share with someone interested in pageants a shot?
    I learnt to work smart, be smart and act smart.

Q: What do you mean by that?
    Being *****y. That way, you can get anything you want.

Q: How so?
    By being *****y, you tend to backstab people. And people tend to trust you more and tell you more stuff, gossip more. And then that's where you get the upper hand and use that against your opponents.

Q: That's a, eh, refreshing take. But wouldn't being that kind of person inhibit you from having close friends?
    I think when it comes to pageants, work is work, and real life is real life. This is the real world.

Q: Let's talk about your diet. I understand you're on medication for your bipolar disorder. Are you putting on weight as a result?
    Yea, in fact it has made me gain 5kg since the middle of this year (when she was diagnosed with the illness). I've been exercising a lot and eating less, like one heavy meal a day.

Q: Has it been a struggle for you, trying to be thin and at the same time having to take your meds?
    Ya it is. Because I'm in a family of three girls and all my sisters are all skinny. My eldest sister is like a bamboo pole, so thin! I can easily break her with my two arms. My youngest sister has got a great shape, so of course there's pressure on me.

Q: Your family seems nervous about your new-found fame. How are you helping them to cope with it?
    I'll tell them everything about my movement, wherever I'm going and how long it'll take and what time I'll be back. I'll be responsible for my own actions.

'I'm not just a bimbo. I'm more than that, far more that that' ~ Ris Low

Q: That's sensible of you. And you seem interested in taking on charity work as well.
    Yea, I'll like to help the Down Syndrome Association (DSA), and the Breast Cancer Foundation.

Q: Why these two organizations in particular?
    Firstly, I think the kids at the DSA are really poor thing, they don't have a chance, they didn't choose to be this way, they were just born like that. And as for the Breast Cancer Foundation, this is the cancer that's most associated with women. So ya, I think we should create awareness.

Q: Ultimately, what would you like to do?
    I would like to organize my own pageant. I think I can do a much better job.

Q: Do you want to get married?
    Of course, maybe two years down the road. Why not? Start early. The government's giving out the baby bonus.

Q: How many kids would you like to have?
    Three.

Q: Why three?
    Because when I die and my husband dies, there's at least one more to boomz!

Q: So what's your ideal man like?
    He must be smart, witty, can control my temper, willing to understand and read more into me. He must be able see what's within me and see the best of me, and not see that I'm just a bimbo. I'm more than that, far more than that.

Q: Have you encountered someone like that?
    Yes.

Q: How's that working out?
    We're working out perfectly fine.

Q: Is this the guy you're seeing right now?
    Ya.

Q: Can you tell us a bit more about him?
    Nah, we're just (pauses) good friends.
    "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

had enough of her shameless act.
    累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

Singapore version of william hung

entertaining wat At least for a while :P
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Who say SGP no talent

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X