X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Singaporeans do not know what is like to be poor

Guess i'm the odd one out..

Source: Channel news asia

SINGAPORE: Singapore is where it is today because of the effort that was put into building the country, said Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew.

Mr Lee made this point at a recently concluded dialogue with tertiary students at the National University of Singapore.

He said without people with ruggedness and a do or die attitude, there will not be the Singapore that exists today.

Mr Lee noted that unlike the older generation, most young Singaporeans do not know what it is like to be poor.

But he said young Singaporeans can emotionally and intellectually understand that if one does not make the same effort, Singapore will regress.

To illustrate the value of hard work, Mr Lee gave a personal insight into how he raised his children to become self-reliant and why the family decided not to live at the official residence at the Istana.

Mr Lee said: "As Prime Minister, I was given a house at Sri Temasek. So I took them (our children) there one day to play and Sri Temasek was on high ground. They were playing with a ball, the ball rolled down, and the butler ran about 50 to 60 yards to pick up the ball and bring it back.

"My wife and I watched and said if we stay here for five years, our children will grow up believing that life is like that - that somebody will always be there to be pick up balls for them, (so) we stayed at home."
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

no need to pick up ball, within their walls now sg kids also got maids to pick up everything else.
    [IMG]http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/data/545/bbm_barcode.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Qn: Why they hire a butler in the first place?
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

wah serious ah. icic....now I know where my tax money goes to
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
          Qn: Why they hire a butler in the first place?
          leftover from colonial days...must maintain tradition

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
            no need to pick up ball, within their walls now sg kids also got maids to pick up everything else.
            butter my bread, wipe my ass, and pack my school bags. makes you wonder, what is really is like to be one of the few privileged people.

hell, my car mati, i still have to crawl under the car and fix it myself.
            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
            Blue 6694
            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
              butter my bread, wipe my ass, and pack my school bags. makes you wonder, what is really is like to be one of the few privileged people.

hell, my car mati, i still have to crawl under the car and fix it myself.
              ironic thing is, we can't be bitter about it and risk alienating them/ourselves...

too 'precious' huh?

i realise privileged people need not necessarily be rich, even the poor can unrealistically spoil their kids.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X